CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+10
Chris
Forgiveness Man
Alan Smithee
wants2laugh
CaffeinePlease
Jason B.
Tony Marino
CeCe
RedBedroom
Supernova
14 posters

Wal-Mart starting Black Friday at 8 P.M., Thanksgiving night

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Wal-Mart starting Black Friday at 8 P.M., Thanksgiving night Empty Wal-Mart starting Black Friday at 8 P.M., Thanksgiving night

Post by Supernova Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:48 pm

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Wal-Mart starting Black Friday at 8 P.M., Thanksgiving night Empty Re: Wal-Mart starting Black Friday at 8 P.M., Thanksgiving night

Post by RedBedroom Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:01 pm

What?!? So, I guess it is now going to be people shopping all night long. Crazy. I saw the leaked BF ad for Walmart this morning. Of course, super cheap electronics were on there. I have had problems with EVERY BF electronic I have ever purchased. So, I won't be swooning over that stuff.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Wal-Mart starting Black Friday at 8 P.M., Thanksgiving night Empty Re: Wal-Mart starting Black Friday at 8 P.M., Thanksgiving night

Post by CeCe Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:09 pm

Pass
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:31 pm

Agreed, 8 P.M. Thanksgiving night, bitch please, we'll be watching Scrooge then.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:17 pm

The noon news just stated Walmart will also have deals at 10 and then again at 5 in the morning. So, the nuttiness shall occur in waves.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:38 pm

Yeah I think I will leave thanksgiving dinner and go shop at wal-mart at 8.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:36 pm

Tony Marino wrote:Yeah I think I will leave thanksgiving dinner and go shop at wal-mart at 8.

laughing

Every black Friday I've been to in the past 10 years has been kind of lame anyway. News reports later that night talk about how the crowds weren't as big as the merchants expected. Most people I know avoid Black Friday.
    CaffeinePlease
    CaffeinePlease
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 4

Post by CaffeinePlease Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:18 pm

I always pass on Black Friday - and that includes "Black Thursday", which sounds like a stupid idea anyway.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:48 pm

My first job was working at Bradlees, and it was HORRIBLE on Blk Fri. We had to be in at 6am, and the lines went winding through the plaza. One woman accused me of jumping in line as I tried to enter the store. There were not enough shopping carts, and I was using one to put out more merchandise while ppl were shopping and a woman dumped my entire cart on the floor to take it.

Women literally punched each other in the face over toys... the police were called.. and they would STEAL from other people carts just to get the item they wanted! Will NEVER work retail again.. and never enter a store on BF
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:14 pm

I have an invite to hit BF from some neighbors I don't hang out with too often. I am guessing these ladies will be a trip because one is a total loud, outspoken woman and her girlfriend hates crowds. I really don't understand why she goes.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:14 pm

wants2laugh wrote:My first job was working at Bradlees, and it was HORRIBLE on Blk Fri. We had to be in at 6am, and the lines went winding through the plaza. One woman accused me of jumping in line as I tried to enter the store. There were not enough shopping carts, and I was using one to put out more merchandise while ppl were shopping and a woman dumped my entire cart on the floor to take it.

Women literally punched each other in the face over toys... the police were called.. and they would STEAL from other people carts just to get the item they wanted! Will NEVER work retail again.. and never enter a store on BF

Sounds like the 80s Christmas shopping craze of the damned Cabbage Patch kids.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Wal-Mart starting Black Friday at 8 P.M., Thanksgiving night Empty Walmart Black Friday Strike Being Organized Online For Stores Across U.S.

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:52 am

Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving regarded as one of the biggest shopping days of the year, may be dramatically different this year.

Organizers are planning a nationwide strike against Walmart, the largest retailer in the world, and are banking on a new strategy: online organizing.

Labor organizers are working with social action nonprofit Engage Network as well as corporate watchdog nonprofit Corporate Action Network to pull off what they are calling a "viral" -- meaning national and spreading online -- strike.

Walmart workers interested in joining the day of action are directed to this website, either to find a store near them with an organized strike or to "adopt an event" at a store near them.

Brian Young, cofounder of the Corporate Action Network, said on a conference call coordinated by the United Food and Commercial Workers (UFCW) union Thursday, that organizers cannot cover the roughly 4,000 Walmarts across the country, but enabling self-appointed leaders online has widened and decentralized the campaign.

Supporters can also sponsor a striking worker, who may be losing wages in order to strike, by donating grocery gift cards. The campaign has raised more than $13,500 worth of donations toward grocery gift cards since Oct. 15 -- a figure that doesn't include significant funds raised through mailed-in checks, Jamie Way, of the UFCW, told HuffPost.

The campaign is also mobilizing strikers and supporters through a Facebook app, multiple Facebook pages, a Tumblr and Twitter with the hashtag #walmartstrikers.

"This online mobilization, in addition to traditional on-the-ground organizing, has allowed the campaign to reach into the rural corners of the country that might have otherwise been overlooked," Marianne Manilov, cofounder of the Engage Network, said on the conference call.

She pointed to a group of renegade workers in Oklahoma who mobilized in October. "A completely unorganized set of workers in Oklahoma spontaneously went out on strike and held their own type of action without any organizer or … connection with the broader organization," she said. "This is what organizing looks like in the age of Occupy."

The outreach leading up to Black Friday follows a series of unprecedented actions taken by Walmart workers against their employer and working conditions. In October, for the first time in the company's 50-year history, more than 70 workers at multiple Los Angeles-area Walmart stores walked off the job, even though their jobs are not protected by an official union. The strike had a ripple effect, causing strikes in 12 other cities, in large part through online organizing.

The success of these strikes, as well as one over the summer touted as the largest ever protest against the company, and a six-day pilgrimmage of warehouse workers in September, would not have been possible without Facebook, Twitter and other web sites, Young said.

"Making Change at Walmart," which organized the demonstrations and is a campaign affiliated with the UFCW union, has over 25,000 supporters on Facebook.

Although it does not officially represent Walmart workers, OUR Walmart, organized by the Making Change campaign, acts like a union to fight for the rights of Walmart workers. OUR Walmart, which was founded last year with 100 members, now has over 14,000 supporters on Facebook.

Corey Parker, a Walmart worker from Mississippi, said on the conference call that he became active with OUR Walmart after finding out about it through a HuffPost article on Facebook. Now, he has mobilized workers at his store to strike on Black Friday because, he said, he realized that "not being able to make a living was not just an issue at my store."

Adding fuel to movement, Walmart announced Thursday that it will kick off its Black Friday sale at 8 p.m. on Thanksgiving, its earliest start ever.

"Lots and lots of Walmart workers are going to be forced to not have Thanksgiving because they're going to be preparing all day for the busiest shopping day of the year," Dan Schlademan, director of Making Change at Walmart, said on the conference call. "This essentially cancels Thanksgiving for hundreds of thousands of workers."

"It's not like Walmart is financially hurting. It's not like they're not making unbelievable sums of money. The price of this is really decimating an important family day in our country."

But Walmart spokesman Steven Restivo said of the sale, "Last year, our highest customer traffic was during the 10 p.m. hour and, according to the National Retail Federation, Thanksgiving night shopping has surged over the past three years."

"Most of our stores are open 24 hours and, historically, much of our Black Friday preparations have been done on Thanksgiving, which is not unusual in the retail industry," he said, adding that the strikes planned for Black Friday, will not "have any impact on our business."

Regarding the action over the last few months, Restivo said, "While the opinions expressed by this group don’t represent the views of the vast majority of more than 1.3 million Walmart associates in the U.S., when our associates bring forward concerns, we listen."

In September, dozens of Walmart-contracted warehouse workers in Southern California's Inland Empire walked off the job and went on a six-day, 50-mile pilgrimage to protest working conditions and retaliation for speaking up.

More than a month later, the warehouse company NFI responded to some of the strikers' working condition requests. "Just in the last week, we've seen the warehouse operators scrambling to replace broken and unsafe equipment, they've rented fans to increase ventilation, and they've added more water coolers," Elizabeth Brennan, communications director for Warehouse Workers United, said on the conference call.

However, the strikers who returned to work have continued to face retaliation, many times getting their hours cut from 35 down to eight, she said. Some of these warehouse workers will join striking Walmart workers on Black Friday, Brennan said.

Excluding the retaliation, organizers hope to see that type of positive response after Black Friday. And with an online system open to anyone who wants to start a strike in his or her local Walmart, Manilov hopes both the demonstration and response will be broad-reaching.

"This is one of the first labor campaigns to really fully embrace the potential of online-to-offline labor organizing," she said. "As this captures fire, its potential is limitless."
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/08/walmart-black-friday-strike-organized-online-video_n_2094698.html?icid=maing-grid7|maing7|dl19|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D232971
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Wal-Mart starting Black Friday at 8 P.M., Thanksgiving night Empty Walmart Workers Record Themselves Smashing iPads In Store

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:54 am

Walmart has had some trouble with its employees lately, with accusations of union intimidation, sex discrimination, and wage violations, among others. Some workers are planning a huge strike on Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving and the biggest shopping day of the year. Others just went into the back room of their store, recorded themselves smashing iPads, and uploaded the video to YouTube Thursday.

One Walmart associate at a Pikeville, Ky., Supercenter begins the video, which was posted online Thursday, with the preface: "This is why you don't buy an iPad from Walmart." Another associate then throws two packaged iPads, to a third associate, who catches them. The third iPad gets hurled to the floor, and then dropped, while the fourth is lobbed too hard and lands with a crash.

"Wow, that motherf*****'s broke," says the narrator.

iPads currently retail at Walmart for $399, which means that at an average hourly wage of $8.83, it would take a Walmart associate 45 hours of labor to earn enough money (even before taxes) to buy one.

The hooliganism is all the more repugnant coming so soon after revelations of the worker conditions at FoxConn factories in China, which increased American consumers' awareness of the human hands that make each iPad, for a starting salary of $14 a day (it would take them a month of work to buy one).

A Walmart spokesperson couldn't be reached for comment. The associate who picked up the phone at the Pikeville store responded simply, "That situation has already been taken care of, have a nice day," before hanging up.

The store is probably tired of the phone calls by now. A commenter on the anonymous forum Reddit claims that when she called the store, the manager told her they'd received hundreds of calls about the video, which has been watched almost 120,000 times on YouTube.

The manager also told her that they were not planning on firing the associates who were involved. They would "take care" of the customers, however, who bought any of the iPads and found that they were completely and mysteriously messed up.

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2012/11/09/walmart-workers-smash-ipads-video/?icid=maing-grid7|maing7|dl3|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D232634
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:06 pm

Insanity
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:32 pm

plop
    They can count me out of that one.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:59 pm

If I can get a great deal on a TV, count me in.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:46 pm

There's a Walmart just up the street from me. You know what, I AM gonna look and see what kinda sales they got going that night. If there's something I want I might go. By then thanksgiving dinner will already be over for the most part.
    FireIce918
    FireIce918
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Female
    Rep : 8

Post by FireIce918 Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:24 pm

It's not as fun as it used to be. I miss the days when my friends and I would gear up for the night, stay in line for hours, and call in reinforcements (i.e. parents who ain't trying to stand in cold lines but have so much fun bringing us hot chocolate and taking pictures of our runny noses).

A few years ago we wised up and smuggled a 12 pack of beer LOL.

I think the only good thing this year is that my fam will be out of town and I have to work on Friday for the first time in years, so Black Thursday might work for me. But I don't agree with it.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:12 pm

I drove by there after Thanksgiving. My cousin wanted a TV. Saw the lines then turned around and went back home. Wasn't even going to try it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 3:07 am