CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+9
Tony Marino
Cheaps
CaffeinePlease
Supernova
Shale
Forgiveness Man
Alan Smithee
wants2laugh
RedBedroom
13 posters

Did you go to summer camp for a week or two in the summer?

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Did you go to summer camp for a week or two in the summer? Empty Did you go to summer camp for a week or two in the summer?

Post by RedBedroom Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:36 am

I did for three years and did the fall retreats too. It was at Baptist camp. Then it got too costly for me to want to ask my parents to pay.

It was so fun, though. I loved it a lot but eventually, I saw some of the groups to be a bit too out there. I ended up only liking the social part of it and not really liking the spiritual part of it at all.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Did you go to summer camp for a week or two in the summer? Empty Re: Did you go to summer camp for a week or two in the summer?

Post by wants2laugh Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:22 am

The summer of '87 I went to camp indian run in PA. I was with a bunch of south philadelphia girls who only knew what grass looked like when it grew between the cracks in the sidewalk.

They started telling camp fire tales, of jason voorhees from friday the 13th, and because I was the only "jersey hick" who grew up in the woods, I was elected to walk them each back to their tents--- they insisted I carry a pocket knife, and my stupid freakin cousin stabbed herself when she backed into it.

the whole thing was crazy... It was the WORST week of my childhood.. would never send my kids.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Did you go to summer camp for a week or two in the summer? Empty Re: Did you go to summer camp for a week or two in the summer?

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:34 am

My parents sent me to summer camp for a month (I think) when I was around 11. Was homesick for the first half but had a good time after that.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:36 am

wants2laugh wrote:The summer of '87 I went to camp indian run in PA. I was with a bunch of south philadelphia girls who only knew what grass looked like when it grew between the cracks in the sidewalk.

They started telling camp fire tales, of jason voorhees from friday the 13th, and because I was the only "jersey hick" who grew up in the woods, I was elected to walk them each back to their tents--- they insisted I carry a pocket knife,

On the walk back to their tents you should have told told them that Jason had a daughter... evil grin
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:38 am

I did a day camp thing that my Mom worked at when I was a wee lad. But meh, kinda lame. I would've never gotten into any kind of woodsy camp.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:43 am

No, never went to summer camp. My momma loved me and wouldn't send me away. big hugz

(Actually, she shipped me off each summer to my grandparents farm in Mississippi.)
    big grin
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by wants2laugh Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:02 pm

Al, you're sooo bad! LOL

When I was in high school, I worked for a community service organization for high school kids. We raised money to send underprivileged kids to Camp Kitty Keepwell which is somewhere up by Alan.... the group made us stay there for the weekend to see what services we were paying for. THAT was kinda fun... and we were told that some of Friday the 13th was actually shot there (dont remember which number). The boys tried scaring us all night... we put shampoo in their shoes--- fun stuff. It was more fun with boys. Guess i was very into "fun" even back then LOL
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:41 pm

Nah, as a kid I wanted to go because I'd seen movies like Race for your Life, Charlie Brown, Heavyweights and Ernest goes to Camp and figured it'd be a lot of fun, but there aren't any around here so I never went.
    CaffeinePlease
    CaffeinePlease
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 4

Post by CaffeinePlease Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:32 pm

I never went because I didn't want to! I liked to play outside with friends around the neighborhood, and I was kind of a shy kid, so a new place with new kids would've made me unhappy and homesick.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:45 pm

I went to a summer camp when I was in elementary for 2 summers. It wasn't a typical summer camp where I'm sent away to the woods and sleep in a cabin for weeks. It was a youth sports program that lasted for for about 6 weeks. Monday-Friday from about 8-2 or 3 I believe, I was bussed to the university where I participated in all kinds of athletic activities. They provided breakfast & lunch. It was fun for the most part, but stopped after getting into junior high.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by wants2laugh Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:23 am

CABIN??? i was at this place where we had a 2 person tent, with a wooden pallet type of floor. We slept on "mattresses" that were literally only like mats, maybe an inch or two thick. It sucked... sad
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:12 am

wants2laugh wrote:CABIN??? i was at this place where we had a 2 person tent, with a wooden pallet type of floor. We slept on "mattresses" that were literally only like mats, maybe an inch or two thick. It sucked... sad

TENTS & MATTRESSES??? Luxury! We slept in holes we had to dig ourselves with our tongues!!
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:46 am

Yeah when I was real young I did.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:47 am

wants2laugh wrote:The summer of '87 I went to camp indian run in PA. I was with a bunch of south philadelphia girls who only knew what grass looked like when it grew between the cracks in the sidewalk.

They started telling camp fire tales, of jason voorhees from friday the 13th, and because I was the only "jersey hick" who grew up in the woods, I was elected to walk them each back to their tents--- they insisted I carry a pocket knife, and my stupid freakin cousin stabbed herself when she backed into it.

the whole thing was crazy... It was the WORST week of my childhood.. would never send my kids.

Wow!
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by wants2laugh Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:56 am

actually, that is the crazy cousin... so now I'm kinda glad she got stabbed LOL

Al you are such a smartass Wink
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:07 pm

I went to a summer camp once, I think it was supposed to be 2 weeks , mercifully my father came and got me because of a forest fire in the vicinity. The campers were not allowed to talk after a certain hour, and I was a sleep talker and walker. So every morning I was singled out for losing privileges. I hated camp and never went again!
    TheEnglishButterfly
    TheEnglishButterfly
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Female
    Rep : 0

Post by TheEnglishButterfly Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:54 pm

I went to day camp, that was fun. Never sleep away though. My sister did and loved it.

Id send my daughter if she wanted, but I'd miss her terribly!
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Post by tmontyb Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:41 am

Yep! Sleepaway circa 1978. I remember having a great time.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:06 pm

Nah, I never been to camp.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 12:01 pm