CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

3 posters

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Empty The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Post by Shale Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:03 am

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
    Movie Blurb by Shale
    December 14, 2012

I had the DVD collection of The Lord of the Rings trilogy and watched the first two this week to reacquaint myself with this series of epic fantasy movies from 2001-03, which are based on the J.R.R. Tolkien fantasy tale from the 1940s. This book in paperback was very popular with many of my friends in the 1960s tho I never read it.

The Hobbit was written by Tolkien in 1937 and The Lord of the Rings was a sequel to it. So, now The Hobbit movie is a prequel to the Rings trilogy. And, just as The Hobbit was a children's fantasy and Rings was darker story, this movie is much lighter than the previous movie trilogy.

This movie is about Bilbo Baggins some 60 years before his character played by Ian Holm goes off to write his memoirs, leaving his nephew Frodo (Elijah Wood) to carry on the adventures with the ring. Both characters and actors appear in the opening of this movie but in flashback a younger Bilbo is played by Martin Freeman.

Gandalf (Ian McKellen) shows up at Bilbo's place in the Shire to convince him to go on a journey. On this quest they will have death defying skirmishes with Orcs and Trolls, will visit Rivendell where Gandalf will get encouragement from Elvin Lady Galadriel (Cate Blanchet) and counsel from Elrond (Hugo Weaving). Also, we see how Bilbo meets Gollum (Andy Serkis) and acquires the ring.

This movie is in 3-D but I opted to watch it in 2-D. But you could see the scenes that were playing for that gimmick. Also there is talk about it being shot at more frames per second which gives more detail. It is visually stunning and the large scenes are just too much to take it all in.

However, I almost didn't go see it. I really don't like long movies and the run time with this one (as with all the Ring movies) is almost 3 hours long. It didn't need to be that long and could have had some of the padding scenes shortened to make it a good two-hour flick since there will be two more sequels to finish the book.

Also, just as Tolkien wrote this as a kids book, this is more of a kids' movie. Even tho the whole series of stories are fantasy, there is something more 'realistic' about the Rings movies and too many frivolously unbelievable scenes in this one. (Ref that Indiana Jones movie with the mining cars freewheeling down the track, even jumping a gap and continuing on and you will know of what I write). But, overall it was an enjoyable 2 hours and 49 minutes.

See More Here:

http://www.hipforums.com/newforums/showthread.php?p=7484347#post7484347

Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Empty Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:22 am

I know others here can't be bothered with these kind of movies but Deb and I will try to see this one soon.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:56 am

Being a big Fan of the Rings trilogy I would like to see it. Thanks for the review Shale.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:59 pm

Tony Marino wrote:Being a big Fan of the Rings trilogy I would like to see it. Thanks for the review Shale.

You?! speechless
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:05 pm

We saw it this after. Truthfully, it's been so long since I read the book that I don't know how faithful Jackson is being (but I'll assume that he is). I see what Shale meant about the "frivolously unbelievable scenes" in this one but it didn't detract from the movie for me. The bloom was off the rose, though because we had already seen the striking visuals/scenery in LOTR's. Still, if you enjoyed those, I think you should check out at least this one.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:08 am

Alan Smithee wrote:

You?! speechless

Yes Uncle. I saw the first 2 rings movies when they came out on DVD but I had to go see Return of the King on the big screen. Since none of my friends were interested in the Rings movies, I had to go see ROTK by myself and I absolutely loved it! I loved the part of the movie when Aragon says to Frodo "You bow to no one" what an end to a truly epic trilogy. I have not seen Hobbitt yet but I will and hope to see it in the theater. I actually bought the box set when it came out on Blu Ray last year.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:45 am

Deb and I saw all three in the theater each year that they were released. The Hobbit and Fellowship of the Ring start off at the same point.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:36 am

Maybe I will go see it today if I have time.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 4:16 am