CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
Tony Marino
CeCe
Supernova
7 posters

London Broil

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Food London Broil

Post by Supernova Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:06 am

What is it? What do you do with it? Is it any good? I don't get it, in every picture on the computer it looks like a briskett or a roast covered in spices and pink in the middle, but at the store they're selling what they call London Broil and it looks like a HUGE round filet steak wrapped in bacon, and ALSO looks like there's another strip of bacon, or something, wrapped up in the middle of it too. Are there different kinds or something?
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Food Re: London Broil

Post by CeCe Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:48 am

I've never seen bacon on a london broil. It's not the most tender cut so I rarely get it. I've seen some bargain "filet mignon" wrapped in bacon in the stores.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:20 pm

Its a nice size slab of meat, usually around an inch or an inch and a half thick. You cook it in the oven usually medium rare and when you take it out you slice it on an angle. I usually make a mushroom gravy out of the drippings and its just delicious. I have never seen it wrapped in bacon either.

London Broil London_Broil-6
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:41 pm

London Broil, despite what you might find at the local meat market. is not a cut of beef but rather a method of cooking. It was one of the first recipes to become popular in early restaurants in the United States and so the name London Broil became synonymous with a cut of meat. Where this dish originated is unknown. It certainly didn't start in England, where the term "London Broil" has no meaning.
    Originally London Broil was made with a flank steak, but over the years the name has been applied to almost any cut of beef that is very lean and less tender. Hence you might find London Broil being a steak or a roast that comes from the sirloin or round sections of the cow. This of course makes the whole thing very confusing.

To make matters worse the original method of the London Broil was simply a flank steak, pan fried to medium rare, cut cross grain and served. This method is perfect for a flank steak because it becomes very tough if cooked too long and by cutting it into strips you made it easy for even the dullest of teeth to get through.

Later the method was changed to include marinating the flank steak and then grilling or broiling it. This makes the name make a little more sense. Now the origins get even more confusing. The marinade traditionally used for London Broil has ranged anywhere from a simple mixture of olive oil with salt and pepper to a wide collection of ingredients. You need to remember that chefs in earlier days tended to mix seasonings, sauces, and marinade more from what was on hand than from a specific recipe. To get a good marinade for London Broil try a mixture of soy sauce, olive oil, garlic, ginger, balsamic vinegar and honey. This gives it the basic flavors that make beef great.

From here you need to grill the marinated flank steak, hot and fast and to no more than medium. Overcooking will make it tough no matter how long you marinated. When the steak is ready remove it from the grill, allow to rest for about 5 minutes, then carve, cross grain, and serve in strips. It's great on mashed potatoes (a traditionally favorite side dish). If you've been paying attention you will have noticed that most recipes that involve flank steak are prepared this way, from traditional fajitas to, well, anything with flank steak. This is generally a tough ct of meat, but it has great flavor and if you prepare it right, people will love it.

Okay, now for all those other things called London Broil. These cuts all have something in common, they are lean and tend to be tougher, so the same rules apply. You might find "London Broil" in anything from a 1 inch cut to a 4 inch roast. Marinate for 2 to 3 hours per inch and grill to no more than medium. On the thick roasts you will want to grill it directly for about 2 minutes per side then grill indirectly for about 30 minutes. The internal temperature should not pass 130 degrees F. Allow thinner cuts to rest for about 5 minutes and whole roasts to rest for 10 minutes. Resting allows the meat to relax and the juices to flow. Carve the London Broil cross grain and serve. It's a great way to get a really good meal out of a less expensive cut of meat.

This is a bit too rare for me.

(Looks more like an amputation Shocked )
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:15 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:

Much too rare for me as well I like mine medium well with just a touch of pink.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:44 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:

That's about how I like my steak but I've never had a tender london broil. It's like eating a boot.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:44 pm

That's because London Broil is a steak. London Broil just the name of the way you cook it. A lot of people do "London Broil" rare or medium rare....but I can't stand rare meat. I don't think I've seen it wrapped in bacon. That's some extra shit.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:20 pm

CeCe wrote:

That's about how I like my steak but I've never had a tender london broil. It's like eating a boot.

If you overcook it then its tough as nails.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:13 pm

Never had it, and I like my steak not as pink. Medium to medium well.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:56 am

ohhhh heellllll nooooo.... that does look like an autopsy with guts hanging out.

I love london broil on the grill, but well done! dont want my steak jumping up and running away! lol

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 1:24 am