CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
wants2laugh
Alan Smithee
Chris
7 posters

Atheist politicians

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Atheist politicians Empty Atheist politicians

Post by Chris Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:32 pm

Would you be more or less inclined to vote for a non-religious presidential candidate, senator, governor/mayor or judge?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Atheist politicians Empty Re: Atheist politicians

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:56 pm

I don't have a problem voting for someone of faith as long as I agree with their policies and they don't try to make everyone else live their lives their beliefs. Same for an atheist. BUT...it seems more often than not, the faith based candidates want to do just that and I don't know of too many atheists who want to do much more than keep all religion out of public view. Oh the horror!
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:58 pm

I would like to say it didnt matter. Especially when someone who is tooooo religious goes overboard with their views and how to implement them into the public policy.

however, in my biased opinion, an atheist would leave me wondering just what do they believe in? what is morally acceptable to this person? (of course that is still biased, cause i would not think that evangelists who manipulate ppl out of money... or promote children handling snakes would be acceptable). However, usually religion challenges people to become a better person... to attempt to get along with/care about others.

Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:53 am

wants2laugh wrote:however, in my biased opinion, an atheist would leave me wondering just what do they believe in? The constitution and rule of law are enough for me.
    what is morally acceptable to this person? What is your definition of "moral"? The belief in a supreme being does not in and of itself make one person more moral than one who doesn't. There are countless atheists and agnostics who lead just as moral lives as people with some kind of religious belief. Maybe they're even more so.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:18 am

I just want a candidate who will uphold The Constitution without trying to interject their religious dogma into it. I want someone in office who believes in the rights of the people over religion, personal opinion or symbols. That person can exist on either side. Religion or the lack of it, which is the real definition of atheism (despite the extreme behavior of some who claim the "title") should play no part.

Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:46 am

Alan Smithee wrote:however, in my biased opinion, an atheist would leave me wondering just what do they believe in? The constitution and rule of law are enough for me.
    what is morally acceptable to this person? What is your definition of "moral"? The belief in a supreme being does not in and of itself make one person more moral than one who doesn't. There are countless atheists and agnostics who lead just as moral lives as people with some kind of religious belief. Maybe they're even more so.
    co-signs

This from a guy who was denied getting on the New Orleans Police Dept in 1968 because the last form asked my religion and I HONESTLY put 'none.' Major Terrebone called me in and asked me in effect just what did I believe in and what was morally acceptable to me. He could not understand how I could be moral without the fear of god. For that, I did not become a patrolman on the New Orleans Police Dept, one of the most corrupt police departments in the U.S. with all its 'god fearing' officers.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:13 am

People have a genuine misunderstanding of atheism from what I've seen personally. Atheists don't believe in "god" but they are quite "moral" compassionate & loving lol No "god" is required for that. It's always amusing when people think atheists are some kind of angry bitter emotionless satan worshipers. (we don't believe in him either Wink )

Don't get me wrong. There are assholes on both sides of it. There are some, for lack of a better word, proselytizing atheists but in a nutshell, atheists just don't believe in "gods". It's really that simple. The same emotions, concerns & lives are just like everyone else.

But god & religion are unnecessary to live a decent life.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:58 pm

Wouldn't make a difference one way or another. Things like that don't matter to me. I'd rather they keep their spiritual ideal or lack thereof to themselves and just talk about what their plan is for their position.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:09 pm

I would have to like the candidate and agree with his/her policies to vote for them. If they didn't believe in God, that's fine, but I do. Just as long as they aren't spewing any crazy talk about how there isn't one, I'm cool. I would vote for an agnostic.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:32 am