This needs a thread of its own...should schools stay open till 7 P.M., on weekends and longer in summer? - Page 2 Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

This needs a thread of its own...should schools stay open till 7 P.M., on weekends and longer in summer?

Go down 
+6
Dan70
Nystyle709
stonestatic
Forgiveness Man
Chris
Supernova
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
TSJFan4Ever
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
TSJFan4Ever

Female
Rep : 78

This needs a thread of its own...should schools stay open till 7 P.M., on weekends and longer in summer? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: This needs a thread of its own...should schools stay open till 7 P.M., on weekends and longer in summer?   This needs a thread of its own...should schools stay open till 7 P.M., on weekends and longer in summer? - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 4:12 pm

I'd like to ask Obama just who is going to be running the schools until 7PM. Many teachers already work long hours. The day doesn't end when the students go home. Will Obama bring in extra staff to run the schools until the evening? Is he going to change teacher's salaries so tht they will be paid for 12 hour shifts, in addition to all of the time that they spend after-school horus marking> I grew up in a house with two teachers, though my Mom retired when she had kids. My Dad was very dedicated to his job. He coached various sports and when he was an Administrator (vice-principal), there were plenty of days when he was gone by 7 AM for meetings and coming home around 11PM. He admits that there were times when my Mom raised us kids as a single parent. During the late fall, winter and early spring, he was on the road travelling with his basketball team. He finally retired from being a vice principal, but still wouldn't get home until around 5PM, and would often be gone by 7AM.

I know there are teachers who are out of the parking lot before the students, but I also know plenty who are very dedicated to their jobs. Just when does Obama expect teachers do prepare for classes, mark papers, projects, tests, etc. and so on, if schools are open until 7PM. Sure you might be able to get some things done while the students are working, but you're still responsible for them. If Obama wants schools open until 7PM, then let him try it out on the school his daughters go to, first, and see how that works. Many shcools are already providing breakfast and lunch to students - now they would also be expected to provide supper?

Expanding the school day would be extremely detrimental to the students. When would there be time for extra curricular activities? sports? dance? music? Maybe what needs to happen is improve the QUALITY of education, not the hours a child is in school each day.
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

This needs a thread of its own...should schools stay open till 7 P.M., on weekends and longer in summer? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: This needs a thread of its own...should schools stay open till 7 P.M., on weekends and longer in summer?   This needs a thread of its own...should schools stay open till 7 P.M., on weekends and longer in summer? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 9:24 am

Supernova wrote:
However if kids aren't learning sic'em 180 days out of the year, exactly how much more are they supposed to get out of 20 more days with nothing to make them anymore inspired or eager to learn?
I agree. An extra 20 days would be pointless. They wouldn't be any smarter. The quantity of the education isn't what needs to be increased, just the quality. So Obama just isn't thinking, again. Razz

Of course, I agree with the post above that he should try any experiments first on his own daughters. If it's really such a good idea, have them try it out. Razz Afterall, we want them to receive the benefits right?
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: This needs a thread of its own...should schools stay open till 7 P.M., on weekends and longer in summer?   This needs a thread of its own...should schools stay open till 7 P.M., on weekends and longer in summer? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 10:15 am

Exactly, but of course we know he'll never do that to his kids. Which does leave you to wonder...how then, would he know if it works or not?
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male

PostSubject: Re: This needs a thread of its own...should schools stay open till 7 P.M., on weekends and longer in summer?   This needs a thread of its own...should schools stay open till 7 P.M., on weekends and longer in summer? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 10:21 am

^^^^He doesn't care if it works cause he's not concerned with making American kids smarter. Razz
Back to top Go down
Impact
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Impact

Male
Rep : 75

PostSubject: Re: This needs a thread of its own...should schools stay open till 7 P.M., on weekends and longer in summer?   This needs a thread of its own...should schools stay open till 7 P.M., on weekends and longer in summer? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 7:54 pm

I agree with longer school years, but I question the longer day. With most families working full time, how are families supposed to spend more time together with longer school days? I work then pick my daughter up from school, fix dinner while she does homework (help when she needs it) we eat, and by then it's almost time for bed. The day is already long enough.
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male

PostSubject: Re: This needs a thread of its own...should schools stay open till 7 P.M., on weekends and longer in summer?   This needs a thread of its own...should schools stay open till 7 P.M., on weekends and longer in summer? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 8:08 pm

^^^^Maybe somebody will invent a 36 hour day. Razz
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: This needs a thread of its own...should schools stay open till 7 P.M., on weekends and longer in summer?   This needs a thread of its own...should schools stay open till 7 P.M., on weekends and longer in summer? - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 2:44 pm

Supernova wrote:

1. So because one country does something, we need to give into the pressure to be like them? And where does it stop? Yeah they're known for being good academically, but they're also well known for murderering baby girls because they only want boys, should we start adopting that policy too so we can be more like them?

2. 48% of elementary schools in this country have eliminated recess because they don't have the money for equipment and they don't want kids running around instead of studying. You do the math and that takes away a potential 600 hours children could be spending getting exercise replaced with sitting at a desk for those same 600 hours. How much exercise are they going to get there to combat the overweight issue? And gym? Most kids don't even take it, or it's so lax, you can just show up, not do the work, and you pass. I don't see Obama coming up with any ideas to improve that, do you?

3. Structure or no structure doesn't have anything to do with being young parents and even if it did, exactly what would Obama's plan be for that? Go on TV and tell people 'you should not have any kids until you know how to discipline them'?

Kids are already spending too much time in school and they're not getting anywhere BECAUSE they're spending TOO much time there and aren't being given enough time to shake the cobwebs out of their heads at school or have any kind of life of their own outside of it.

You are so fucking dramatic. Did you even read what I said? I didn't say that we HAD to be like them. I merely stated that Obama was just throwing the idea out there. An IDEA. A solution that's open for discussion. I don't even agree with it. If something works in another country or some place else that benefits their people, what makes you think it wouldn't or couldn't work here? We can get ideas from other places and apply it to our own way of life and vice versa. It's already been done. The death penalty isn't only the US....there are other countries who adopt it and they aren't trying to be like us. That goes for a lot of other things as well.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female

PostSubject: Re: This needs a thread of its own...should schools stay open till 7 P.M., on weekends and longer in summer?   This needs a thread of its own...should schools stay open till 7 P.M., on weekends and longer in summer? - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 2:46 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:

So sitting at a school desk studying things they'll forget the day after the test will make them burn more calories than video games eh? Wink

I was never of the belief that just because there was a problem meant that any SOMETHING that somebody proposes should be welcomed with open arms regardless of how stupid it is. Yes, American schools are struggling academically, but it isn't because kids aren't there long enough. I still would like to hear the logic behind kids benefiting from spending more time in a place that is already not doing a damn thing for them.

I got plenty damn things to propose in his place. FORGIVENESS MAN So does Supernova. And liberals are one to talk about attacking a president without proposing a damn thing themselves. FORGIVENESS MAN

Again, spending more hours in school is just another of Obama's dumb ideas. If we want smarter kids, make the 7-8 hours a day kids already spend in school more meaningful instead of adding more time for their brains to be drained of their thinking power.

Why do you care? You don't even send your kids to school?
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: This needs a thread of its own...should schools stay open till 7 P.M., on weekends and longer in summer?   This needs a thread of its own...should schools stay open till 7 P.M., on weekends and longer in summer? - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 3:13 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:

1. Translation: Presto, all eyes are off me on having to answer.

2. So by that logic, whites should never have gotten involved in the Civil Rights movement and men shouldn't attend end violence against women rallies.

3. And if Obama's plan were to ever go into action, that would be all the more reason why they wouldn't be going.

Are you even seeing any of this from a parent's point of view, or the kid's? Or are you just thinking 'I'm out of school and don't have anybody in it so I don't need to give a damn'?
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female

PostSubject: Re: This needs a thread of its own...should schools stay open till 7 P.M., on weekends and longer in summer?   This needs a thread of its own...should schools stay open till 7 P.M., on weekends and longer in summer? - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 3:19 pm

Supernova wrote:

1. Translation: Presto, all eyes are off me on having to answer.

Translation: I have to go to WORK (got a job?) so I don't have time.

2. So by that logic, whites should never have gotten involved in the Civil Rights movement and men shouldn't attend end violence against women rallies.

3. And if Obama's plan were to ever go into action, that would be all the more reason why they wouldn't be going.

Are you even seeing any of this from a parent's point of view, or the kid's? Or are you just thinking 'I'm out of school and don't have anybody in it so I don't need to give a damn'?

Yeah, that's it. Feel better now?
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male

PostSubject: Re: This needs a thread of its own...should schools stay open till 7 P.M., on weekends and longer in summer?   This needs a thread of its own...should schools stay open till 7 P.M., on weekends and longer in summer? - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 5:22 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:
There's a little thing called tax dollars. And why do you care if I care or not? For somebody who wants me to stop caring, you certain seem to waste a lot of your time with me. Move on! Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This needs a thread of its own...should schools stay open till 7 P.M., on weekends and longer in summer?   This needs a thread of its own...should schools stay open till 7 P.M., on weekends and longer in summer? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

This needs a thread of its own...should schools stay open till 7 P.M., on weekends and longer in summer?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2