How well has your math held up? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How well has your math held up?

Go down 
+8
RobbieFTW
Nystyle709
Cheaps
Tony Marino
Shale
Alan Smithee
Supernova
Chris
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

How well has your math held up? Empty
PostSubject: How well has your math held up?   How well has your math held up? EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 2:36 am

How well would you say your formal mathematical lessons from high school and college have held up to this day? Are you still comfortable with long division, fractions, equations, algebra, fractions, etc., etc., or would you need a refresher in it?
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: How well has your math held up?   How well has your math held up? EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 2:38 am

I never liked long division in the first place, I couldn't work that way, I only knew it as being a reverse on multiplication. Algebra, forget it, fractions and equations I think I'd do alright in.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: How well has your math held up?   How well has your math held up? EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 6:16 am

It's gotten better.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: How well has your math held up?   How well has your math held up? EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 9:30 am

I never had any math skills so they've held up to their original parameters. Thankfully there is a calculator right here on my desktop, and I have a portable one in my courier bag that runs on sunlight.

Thank you math nerds for making those.
Blue Cool
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

PostSubject: Re: How well has your math held up?   How well has your math held up? EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 3:36 pm

They are o.k. but thank god for my calculator LOL
Back to top Go down
Cheaps
Cheaps

Female
Rep : 252

PostSubject: Re: How well has your math held up?   How well has your math held up? EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 4:19 pm

Definitely need a refresher.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: How well has your math held up?   How well has your math held up? EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 4:23 pm

They've held up pretty good....which is a bit surprising since I've always hated math. I was helping my friends nephew with his algebra the other day and I realized that I retained quite a bit from my formative school years. It's true that once you learn something....you never quite forget how to do it.
Back to top Go down
RobbieFTW
…is Being Fitted For a Crown.
…is Being Fitted For a Crown.
RobbieFTW

Male
Rep : 145

PostSubject: Re: How well has your math held up?   How well has your math held up? EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 7:33 pm

I can add, subtract, multiply, do basic division and still know some basic fractions. Anything past early HS level math I probably forgot.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: How well has your math held up?   How well has your math held up? EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 10:13 pm

Geometry is lost on me, just ask my son! Otherwise, I do okay.
Back to top Go down
wants2laugh
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
wants2laugh

Female
Rep : 87

PostSubject: Re: How well has your math held up?   How well has your math held up? EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 6:07 am

I had Algebra and Geometry honors in high school. And 15yrs later was tutoring postal workers who were attending college. I was shocked when i realized that i still remembered parabolas and hyperboles LOL

I wound up taking advance alegbra and calculus in college a few years ago
Back to top Go down
Hyacinth Girl
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Hyacinth Girl

Female
Rep : 70

PostSubject: Re: How well has your math held up?   How well has your math held up? EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 3:08 pm

I made it as far as pre-calculus in high school, did statistical and lab math in college, and learned quite a bit about fractions, while working in a fabric store during college. I,along with the rest of the class, bombed stats in school because the instructor sucked, but it's turned out to be the math I use most in daily lab work.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: How well has your math held up?   How well has your math held up? EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 5:18 pm

Hyacinth Girl wrote:
...and learned quite a bit about fractions, while working in a fabric store during college. ...
So there is actually a job that requires the use of fractions? blank stare @ you

I hate fractions and can't do them. I have worked half a century and never in any job needed to know what 5/8 X 9/16 was. I think fractions should be outlawed and everyone just use decimals. Why 3/4 when .75 is so much easier to handle?
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: How well has your math held up?   How well has your math held up? EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 8:38 pm

Shale wrote:

So there is actually a job that requires the use of fractions? blank stare @ you

Construction. At least in the U.S.
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: How well has your math held up?   How well has your math held up? EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 9:33 pm

Not bad but I am thankful for calculators.
Back to top Go down
Hyacinth Girl
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Hyacinth Girl

Female
Rep : 70

PostSubject: Re: How well has your math held up?   How well has your math held up? EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 9:44 pm

Shale wrote:

I hate fractions and can't do them. I have worked half a century and never in any job needed to know what 5/8 X 9/16 was. I think fractions should be outlawed and everyone just use decimals. Why 3/4 when .75 is so much easier to handle?

Everything in sewing is all yardage measures and calculations. I'm glad I had that job because I learned a lot about fractions and I did use to convert them to decimal to get total amounts of fabric to cut for customers, then connvert it back to fraction to be able to measure it out with the yardstick. Had to do it all in my head too--that was the days before barcodes and computers, and we manually wrote our sales slips and had only an adding machine at our disposal!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How well has your math held up?   How well has your math held up? Empty

Back to top Go down

How well has your math held up?
Page 1 of 1