CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

2 posters

Former New York City Mayor Ed Koch dead at age 88: sources

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

News Former New York City Mayor Ed Koch dead at age 88: sources

Post by Chris Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:17 am

Former New York City Mayor Ed Koch dead at age 88: sources

From POST STAFF REPORT
    Last Updated: 8:07 AM, February 1, 2013
    Posted: 5:04 AM, February 1, 2013

Former New York City Mayor Ed Koch dead at age 88: sources NYNYP_NEW_YORK_POST045043--525x415
    Ed Koch served as New York City's Mayor from 1978 until 1989.

Former Mayor Ed Koch died early this morning, sources told The Post. He was 88.

Koch had been in and out of the hospital in recent months, and was admitted Monday at New York Presbyterian Medical Center.

“Earlier today, New York City lost an irrepressible icon, our most charismatic cheerleader and champion, Edward I. Koch," Mayor Bloomberg said in a statement released this morning. "He was a great mayor, a great man and a great friend. In elected office and as a private citizen, he was our most tireless, fearless and guileless civic crusader. Through his tough, determined leadership and responsible fiscal stewardship, Ed helped lift the city out of its darkest days and set it on course for an incredible comeback. We will miss him dearly, but his good works – and his wit and wisdom – will forever be a part of the city he loved so much. His spirit will live on not only here at City Hall, and not only on the bridge the bears his name, but all across the five boroughs.

“I’m expressing my condolences on behalf of all 8.4 million New Yorkers, and I know so many of them will be keeping Mayor Koch and his family and friends in their thoughts prayers. As we mourn Mayor Koch’s passing, the flags at all City buildings will be flying at half-staff in his memory.”

He was moved to intensive care yesterday as his condition worsened.

Koch – who served as mayor from 1978 to 1989 – died at about 2 a.m. today, sources said.

The three-term mayor and former congressman was first elected to City Hall in 1977. Since leaving elected office, he has worked as a lawyer and remained an active presence on the city’s political scene. He also appeared as the judge on the TV show “The People’s Court” for two years.

The larger-than-life Koch, who breezed through the streets of New York flashing his signature thumbs-up sign, won a national reputation with his feisty style. "How'm I doing?" was his trademark question to constituents, although the answer mattered little to Koch. The mayor always thought he was doing wonderfully.

Bald and bombastic, paunchy and pretentious, the city's 105th mayor was quick with a friendly quip and equally fast with a cutting remark for his political enemies.

"You punch me, I punch back," Koch once memorably observed. "I do not believe it's good for one's self-respect to be a punching bag."
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

News Re: Former New York City Mayor Ed Koch dead at age 88: sources

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:23 am

I knew he was sicker than the media led us to believe. They had people thinking it wasn't that serious...but it was. RIP. He lived a long life.

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 6:47 am