Were the 50's Great? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Were the 50's Great?

Go down 
+11
Alan Smithee
JM130ELM
Nystyle709
CeCe
Forgiveness Man
wants2laugh
Supernova
AtownPeep
Bluesmama
Shale
Marc™
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Marc™
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
Marc™

Male
Rep : 212

Were the 50's Great? Empty
PostSubject: Were the 50's Great?   Were the 50's Great? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 12:59 am

I saw at another message board once someone ask the question "Why Can't People Admit That the 1950's Were Great?" They ran down a list of things....like economic boom, patriotism, family values....that they reasoned as why that decade should be revered. Of course a bunch of people chimed in with a laundry list of reasons why the 1950s WEREN'T great. But it was an interesting discussion nonetheless. So....in your mind, what's your opinion of the 1950s? Based on what you saw (if you were were alive and remember it) or what you've spectated from history books and archive footage. Even if you disagree that the 50s were great, is there anything about it that stands out in your mind as positive or something that you wish was in effect today?
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Were the 50's Great?   Were the 50's Great? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 1:20 am

I grew up in the '50s from six to sixteen mostly in St. Louis, then in the 'burbs, with summer trips to the family farm in Mississippi.

It was a good time to be a kid, even poor kids in a rundown city neighborhood had fun getting dirty. In the rural south we had fun doing country things, playing in the woods, skinny dipping at the swimming hole, family dinner, making ice cream or having watermelon on the lawn then hosing down.

There was no sphere of reference to anything different, that was just how it was. I did see segregation & racism in the South, but my school was integrated.

Now the rebellions started in the '60s and even in high school that patriotism thing was starting to wear thin with many of us dissidents and we were thinking outside the Judeo/Christian box and going against family values. Probably just teen stuff but it grew into the counter culture.
Back to top Go down
Bluesmama
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Bluesmama

Female
Rep : 43

PostSubject: Re: Were the 50's Great?   Were the 50's Great? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 1:45 am

I was only a little girl but had much older brothers. I remember a lot about it
It was perhaps the most stable decade economically. I'd say that it was the last true period of innocence, even through the start of changes in the younger generation. "Music" started to take a controversial turn for the young (rock 'n' roll), and kids began to rebel against society. The Beat Generation was the first counter-culture. But it was a decade of hope. And I remember having a lot of fun as a small child.
Fast-forward another 5 years, through doo-wop, Beach Boys, and hula-hoops ~ another good era ~ to 1965 and many things changed radically. I'm SO glad that I was a part of those two decades.
Back to top Go down
AtownPeep
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
AtownPeep

Female
Rep : 39

PostSubject: Re: Were the 50's Great?   Were the 50's Great? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 2:53 am

I don't feel bad I wasn't there to see it but I guess if you were a wealthy white male it was great.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: Were the 50's Great?   Were the 50's Great? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 3:00 am

AtownPeep wrote:
I don't feel bad I wasn't there to see it but I guess if you were a wealthy white male it was great.

My mother comes from the 50s, she always said I would've enjoyed the 60s.
Back to top Go down
wants2laugh
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
wants2laugh

Female
Rep : 87

PostSubject: Re: Were the 50's Great?   Were the 50's Great? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 5:53 am

My mom was poor in south philly, the daughter of an irish woman and italian man. the irish shunned her. even the whites were segregated by heritage then. However, she loved the era... she grew up on bandstand, during a time where boys respected girls, and new inventions were coming into homes--- even when they could not afford tvs/stereo, the neighbors would push theirs to the windows for all to enjoy.

I kind of think that we all romanticize the time period that we grew up in though. I loved the 80s... the music, and the clothes-- the hair really needed to go... but it was a great time for me. so i imagine that ppl see the 50s that way.

Bluesmama was right tho.. it was a time of innocence that was soon lost. Back then you wouldnt hear the word "hell" on TV... now you hear dick and pussy... and thanks to NYPD Blue, we have nudie shots.
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Were the 50's Great?   Were the 50's Great? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 10:08 am

Better than now.
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: Were the 50's Great?   Were the 50's Great? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 11:01 am

It was the decade that brought us "commie panic". That probably did far more harm than good. Segregation, racism, sexism. Pass.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Were the 50's Great?   Were the 50's Great? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 11:42 am

AtownPeep wrote:

Basically. What was so great about living in the era of Jim Crow?
Back to top Go down
JM130ELM
…is Necessary.
…is Necessary.
JM130ELM

Male
Rep : 32

PostSubject: Re: Were the 50's Great?   Were the 50's Great? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 1:49 pm

Not if you were black...
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

PostSubject: Re: Were the 50's Great?   Were the 50's Great? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 1:52 pm

JM130ELM wrote:
Not if you were black...

Or female. Or gay. Or non-religious...
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Were the 50's Great?   Were the 50's Great? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 2:37 pm

I was just around for the last half of the decade but even if I don't remember much of it first hand the negatives still out weighed the positives.
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

PostSubject: Re: Were the 50's Great?   Were the 50's Great? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 3:27 pm

Elvis Presley!
Back to top Go down
Nhaiyel
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Nhaiyel

Female
Rep : 123

PostSubject: Re: Were the 50's Great?   Were the 50's Great? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 5:57 pm

Only if you were in a very select demographic; one that no one in my family was.
Back to top Go down
http://www.musicfanclubs.org/aaliyah/
CatEyes10736
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
CatEyes10736

Female
Rep : 126

PostSubject: Re: Were the 50's Great?   Were the 50's Great? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 9:25 pm

Well I certainly wasn't around to give a real depiction of it. From the looks of it though, it seems like it would have been mostly pleasant to the people who fit into that that sunshiny suburban "Ozzy & Harriett" mode, but I'm sure more people didn't than did. My perception of that era is that it was repressed, chaffed and hypocritical.
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

PostSubject: Re: Were the 50's Great?   Were the 50's Great? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 10:25 pm

CatEyes10736 wrote:
Well I certainly wasn't around to give a real depiction of it. From the looks of it though, it seems like it would have been mostly pleasant to the people who fit into that that sunshiny suburban "Ozzy & Harriett" mode, but I'm sure more people didn't than did. My perception of that era is that it was repressed, chaffed and hypocritical.

Even they didn't in their real lives. Neither did Bing Crosby or any pretty much any other great "role model" during that time.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

PostSubject: Re: Were the 50's Great?   Were the 50's Great? EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 8:20 am

Personally, I don't know anyone who was around at the time who longs for their return. Seems to me the fifties gets a nice little buffering by the way television depicted life at the time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

PostSubject: Re: Were the 50's Great?   Were the 50's Great? EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 9:21 am

Chris wrote:
Personally, I don't know anyone who was around at the time who longs for their return. Seems to me the fifties gets a nice little buffering by the way television depicted life at the time.

I think a lot of people probably equate the 50's with "Happy Days" which was a very sanitized version of the time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Were the 50's Great?   Were the 50's Great? Empty

Back to top Go down

Were the 50's Great?
Page 1 of 1