Do *Traditional* Indians Not Wear Deodorant? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do *Traditional* Indians Not Wear Deodorant?

Go down 
+8
Alan Smithee
Cheaps
Shale
wants2laugh
GrayWolf
Kral
Nystyle709
Marc™
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Marc™
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
Marc™

Male
Rep : 212

Do *Traditional* Indians Not Wear Deodorant? Empty
PostSubject: Do *Traditional* Indians Not Wear Deodorant?   Do *Traditional* Indians Not Wear Deodorant? EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 2:07 pm

I have an Indian co-worker. He's very groomed, doesn't have an odor and is very Americanized. I think he said his parents are from India, but he was born and raised here. However, last week I came in contact with some traditional-looking Indians who were obviously not from the U.S., because they spoke with an accent and were wearing what looked to me like more traditional Indian attire...and they stunk like armpit. Not to feed into stereotypes, because like I said...one of my co-workers is Indian and he has no stench that I notice...but these more traditional seeming Indians did.

So my question is is this cultural? Is deodorant not something they do in India? Because I had heard of the stereotype of "smelly Indian," and never gave much thought to it...but last week I was confronted with it, and it made me wonder.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Do *Traditional* Indians Not Wear Deodorant?   Do *Traditional* Indians Not Wear Deodorant? EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 2:14 pm

I have no idea, but I've come in contact with plenty of them living in NY and I can say that the A LOT of them do smell like that. Not that they're unclean or unkempt or not groomed, I've went to school with Indian kids who had no smell at all, but it's usually the older ones who smell like deodorant isn't a part of the family budget. If that's their culture, then whatever....doesn't mean I should be subjected to funk. I will quickly leave the room.
Back to top Go down
Kral
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Kral

Female
Rep : 30

PostSubject: Re: Do *Traditional* Indians Not Wear Deodorant?   Do *Traditional* Indians Not Wear Deodorant? EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 2:20 pm

I don't know but this question makes me recall comedienne Lisa Lampanelli whose comedy routine is largely based on being racially crass and poking fun at stereotypes. During one of her standup specials, she asked if there were any Indians in the audience. Silence. Then she said something to the effect of "good...they stink..." Then she said "someone ought to tell them Curry ain't deodorant!" I don't know how true any of that is, but the question took me back to what she said.
Back to top Go down
GrayWolf
…is Authorized.
…is Authorized.
GrayWolf

Male
Rep : 36

PostSubject: Re: Do *Traditional* Indians Not Wear Deodorant?   Do *Traditional* Indians Not Wear Deodorant? EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 2:49 pm

A good friend of mine is ethnically Indian but from the US and doesn't have BO but I'd heard that some immigrant indians do. People from some parts of Europe have reputations for BO as well. I'm thinking that maybe deodorant and body fragrances probably aren't considered a cultural necessity in certain parts of the world.
Back to top Go down
wants2laugh
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
wants2laugh

Female
Rep : 87

PostSubject: Re: Do *Traditional* Indians Not Wear Deodorant?   Do *Traditional* Indians Not Wear Deodorant? EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 3:45 pm

my friend's indian parents once told me once that it is not part of their culture... but they use some sort of oils--- and im not sure if they said it, but i think they bath less often than we do because of the lack of water.

Shale lived in India-- SHALE where are you??? lol
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Do *Traditional* Indians Not Wear Deodorant?   Do *Traditional* Indians Not Wear Deodorant? EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 4:13 pm

GrayWolf wrote:
A good friend of mine is ethnically Indian but from the US and doesn't have BO but I'd heard that some immigrant indians do. People from some parts of Europe have reputations for BO as well. I'm thinking that maybe deodorant and body fragrances probably aren't considered a cultural necessity in certain parts of the world.
yeah that…

Europeans, especially the French seem to like the natural armpit smells and I have smelled young European tourists here on Miami Beach. Sort of exciting when you meet such sensual ppl.

Fact is, I have traveled thru the Middle East and India and don't remember smelling underarms, but it is possible since I like the smell that I just forgot about it. A lot of Indians are into flowery fragrances such as incense and perfumes so it is likely that those smell overrode the underarm smells wherever I went. There are so many diverse smells in India. And I know that the poor ppl in India would not waste precious food money on deodorants so yeah guess they had natural underarm smell.

I suppose no one in America (except us freeks) ever considered that humans are SUPPOSED to have armpit smell. I mean, nature went to great lengths to set that up and nature doesn't do things without a reason. But Americans have been so far removed from natural that they make issue with it. Like most Americans are shocked to discover that women actually grow hair in their pits. Wow!
Back to top Go down
Cheaps
Cheaps

Female
Rep : 252

PostSubject: Re: Do *Traditional* Indians Not Wear Deodorant?   Do *Traditional* Indians Not Wear Deodorant? EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 4:51 pm

I don't know, my boss is Indian, nor him or his parents have body odor. But they don't seem to be traditional.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Do *Traditional* Indians Not Wear Deodorant?   Do *Traditional* Indians Not Wear Deodorant? EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 6:51 pm

Interesting that our word shampoo comes from a Hindu word.
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

PostSubject: Re: Do *Traditional* Indians Not Wear Deodorant?   Do *Traditional* Indians Not Wear Deodorant? EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 12:13 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:
I have no idea, but I've come in contact with plenty of them living in NY and I can say that the A LOT of them do smell like that. Not that they're unclean or unkempt or not groomed, I've went to school with Indian kids who had no smell at all, but it's usually the older ones who smell like deodorant isn't a part of the family budget. If that's their culture, then whatever....doesn't mean I should be subjected to funk. I will quickly leave the room.

co-signs
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

PostSubject: Re: Do *Traditional* Indians Not Wear Deodorant?   Do *Traditional* Indians Not Wear Deodorant? EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 4:10 pm

My sister has a friend who used to live in an apartment complex that had a sizable population of Indian tenants, and according to her her friend said that there was at times a noticeable stench in the building that was allegedly attributed to them. I don't know if she was referring to the smell of underarm odors, food, or something else.

Different culture, different mentality about such things, I suppose.
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: Do *Traditional* Indians Not Wear Deodorant?   Do *Traditional* Indians Not Wear Deodorant? EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 1:42 am

I am guessing here, but I think it has to do with food. I think people who cook traditional foods from India have a certain smell that is in their home and therefore, would be on their clothes.

I know I feel like Mexican people have a certain smell. I had many Mexican friends in Chicago and when I pass a Mexican tienda, I adore the smell, as it brings me back to how my friends and their homes smelled back in the day.
Back to top Go down
wants2laugh
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
wants2laugh

Female

PostSubject: Re: Do *Traditional* Indians Not Wear Deodorant?   Do *Traditional* Indians Not Wear Deodorant? EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 4:47 am

hey tony>... since ur italian.. do you smell??? i grew up italian.. and i dont smell lol
Back to top Go down
tmontyb
…is Authorized.
…is Authorized.
tmontyb

Male
Rep : 37

PostSubject: Re: Do *Traditional* Indians Not Wear Deodorant?   Do *Traditional* Indians Not Wear Deodorant? EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 11:06 am

I have come across a few that smell like underarm, but more so like old curry. I'm guessing that because they cook with it a lot. The house must me saturated for it to get into their clothes, but I digress, it's not every Indian I come across.

Anyway, it's not just Indians. I sat next to this African lady on the subway with the most beautiful traditional African dress on, but her underarm odor had me gagging.

One can get deodorant from the dollar store, so I can't say it's about money.

Back to top Go down
wants2laugh
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
wants2laugh

Female

PostSubject: Re: Do *Traditional* Indians Not Wear Deodorant?   Do *Traditional* Indians Not Wear Deodorant? EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 11:25 am

omg.. africans and indians DO have the most gorgeous clothing... and you should see the indian wedding invitations... some of those indians spend a million american dollars on weddings.. the invitations come thru the mail everyday.. each one invites about 500 guests by the look... and they have such great regal looking colors, print, material!
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Do *Traditional* Indians Not Wear Deodorant?   Do *Traditional* Indians Not Wear Deodorant? EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 11:50 am

wants2laugh wrote:
i grew up italian.. and i dont smell lol

Sinus problems?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do *Traditional* Indians Not Wear Deodorant?   Do *Traditional* Indians Not Wear Deodorant? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do *Traditional* Indians Not Wear Deodorant?
Page 1 of 1