Should the abused be penalized for violating a restraining order? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Should the abused be penalized for violating a restraining order?

Go down 
+2
Supernova
Chris
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

Should the abused be penalized for violating a restraining order? Empty
PostSubject: Should the abused be penalized for violating a restraining order?   Should the abused be penalized for violating a restraining order? EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 8:10 am

If an abuse victim gets a restraining order against their abuser, and then willingly allows said abuser back into their order while the restraining order is still in effect, do you think the victim should be legally penalized?

For example: a woman gets beat up by her husband/boyfriend and gets a restraining order, but then later sleeps with him. Should she go to jail?
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: Should the abused be penalized for violating a restraining order?   Should the abused be penalized for violating a restraining order? EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 12:21 pm

You saw last night's episode of Law and Order SVU too, eh Chris?

I think yes, especially if it happens more than once, they're only adding to the problem so let them know they have consequences as well for their own part in it.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Should the abused be penalized for violating a restraining order?   Should the abused be penalized for violating a restraining order? EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 1:12 pm

Supernova wrote:
...I think yes, especially if it happens more than once, they're only adding to the problem so let them know they have consequences as well for their own part in it.
co-signs
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Should the abused be penalized for violating a restraining order?   Should the abused be penalized for violating a restraining order? EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 1:17 pm

Should a battered woman go to jail for doing something tragically stupid? No, but her abuser shouldn't be prosecuted for violating the restraining order. Unless maybe the police could prove coercion.
Back to top Go down
Bluesmama
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Bluesmama

Female
Rep : 43

PostSubject: Re: Should the abused be penalized for violating a restraining order?   Should the abused be penalized for violating a restraining order? EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 2:12 pm

Restraining orders are effective only when they're honored. I don't know about penalizing the abuser. Perhaps yes. If someone changes her mind then she should have it lifted, Period. The responsibility is primarily hers.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

PostSubject: Re: Should the abused be penalized for violating a restraining order?   Should the abused be penalized for violating a restraining order? EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 4:46 pm

Supernova wrote:
You saw last night's episode of Law and Order SVU too, eh Chris?

I think yes, especially if it happens more than once, they're only adding to the problem so let them know they have consequences as well for their own part in it.

I did! big grin
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
wants2laugh
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
wants2laugh

Female
Rep : 87

PostSubject: Re: Should the abused be penalized for violating a restraining order?   Should the abused be penalized for violating a restraining order? EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 4:52 pm

in NJ both are at fault... yet if there is no complaint, the abuser will not be penalized.

i saw a woman who over 20yrs of having a restraining order that was never lifted (taking her hubby back many times over the years)... wound up with a broken jaw... then showed up in court defended him. SMH

if these women want the protection, use tax payer money and time for it.. then they should stick to their guns. i understand life is hard... that having kids is difficult.. and some men just wont go away!!! I had that stalking problem... but come on. there is a time in your life where you need to take responsibility for yourself. No one else is going to take care of you.. so get the order... and call when he makes contact.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should the abused be penalized for violating a restraining order?   Should the abused be penalized for violating a restraining order? Empty

Back to top Go down

Should the abused be penalized for violating a restraining order?
Page 1 of 1