Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero

Go down 
+11
tmontyb
RedBedroom
Chris
Jason B.
CatEyes10736
DarkOblivion
Rule Breaker
Nystyle709
JM130ELM
Forgiveness Man
Marc™
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Marc™
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
Marc™

Male
Rep : 212

Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero Empty
PostSubject: Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero   Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 3:14 am

What are your thoughts on the proposed mosque at ground zero? Especially wanna hear from the New Yorkers here.

Obama's statement:
Quote :
“Ground zero is, indeed, hallowed ground,” Obama
said at a White House dinner celebrating the Muslim holiday of Ramadan.
“But let me be clear: As a citizen and as president, I believe that
Muslims have the same right to practice their religion as anyone else
in this country. That includes the right to build a place of worship
and a community center on private property in lower Manhattan, in
accordance with local laws and ordinances.”

Source: http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2010/08/obama-supports-building-of-mosque-near-ground-zero.html
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero   Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 9:02 am

Legally they have a right but it's darn insensative and disrespectful to do it. If it were a white suprememisist group(we'll hypothetically say they aren't violent) building a base where violent hate crimes against African Americans went on, there would be widespread public outrage, and rightfully so. But Muslims do it, it's okay.

Obama is an idiot. We know they have a legal right.(The guy suddenly remembers we have a constitution?) It's not the right that's in question; it's the ethics of it. Just because you have a right to do something doesn't mean it's right to do it.

Side note: I am liking the idea of somebody to build a gay bar next to the mosque. Razz
Back to top Go down
JM130ELM
…is Necessary.
…is Necessary.
JM130ELM

Male
Rep : 32

PostSubject: Re: Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero   Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 1:23 pm

On the one hand, considering what happened at ground zero, putting a mosque there is could be seen as insensitive and may invoke a lot of negative feelings. On the other hand, to try and block the building of one reeks of bigotry and discrimination.

When it comes down to it, I think it's generally a bad idea.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero   Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 1:30 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:
Legally they have a right but it's darn insensative and disrespectful to do it. If it were a white suprememisist group(we'll hypothetically say they aren't violent) building a base where violent hate crimes against African Americans went on, there would be widespread public outrage, and rightfully so. But Muslims do it, it's okay.

Obama is an idiot. We know they have a legal right.(The guy suddenly remembers we have a constitution?) It's not the right that's in question; it's the ethics of it. Just because you have a right to do something doesn't mean it's right to do it.

Side note: I am liking the idea of somebody to build a gay bar next to the mosque. Razz

You're a fucking idiot, I swear. Do you even realize how STUPID you sound sometimes? Seriously. How does having 'the right to do something doesn't mean it's right to do it'? If you have the right to do something, you can do anything you want. And in THIS case, it IS right to do want they want. Why is it insensitive to build a mosque because some ignorant person thinks all Muslims and anybody who pratices the Islamic faith are terrorists? Why should they have to cater to anyone's sensitivity because you're stupid? Muslims lost their lives in 9/11 too. Muslims families lost thier loved ones in 9/11 too. Muslims are American citizens too. They people who ran the planes into the towers don't speak for ALL Muslims. Slave oppressors were Christian. Civil rights opponents were Christian. Would you mind someone labeling you as a racist and evil because of what your ancestors have done? Now if you are....you can scratch that. Do you think Catholic priests like being labeled as child molesters?

To answer the question Marc: It's privately owned land. They can do whatever they want and people need to shut up about it. I don't feel it's wrong to build a mosque because Muslims lost thier lives and their families lives in that shit too. They shouldn't have to cater to these ignorant assholes would penalize them for being Muslim because the terrorists were. There are bad seeds in every religion.
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male

PostSubject: Re: Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero   Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 1:38 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:
You're a fucking idiot, I swear. Do you even realize how STUPID you sound sometimes? Seriously. How does having 'the right to do something doesn't mean it's right to do it'? If you have the right to do something, you can do anything you want. And in THIS case, it IS right to do want they want. Why is it insensitive to build a mosque because some ignorant person thinks all Muslims and anybody who pratices the Islamic faith are terrorists? Why should they have to cater to anyone's sensitivity because you're stupid? Muslims lost their lives in 9/11 too. Muslims families lost thier loved ones in 9/11 too. Muslims are American citizens too. They people who ran the planes into the towers don't speak for ALL Muslims. Slave oppressors were Christian. Civil rights opponents were Christian. Would you mind someone labeling you as a racist and evil because of what your ancestors have done? Now if you are....you can scratch that. Do you think Catholic priests like being labeled as child molesters?

More petty insults. Razz And you say I sound stupid? If what I say pisses you off so damn much, how about you don't read my posts and save us both a little time?

I am not saying we should label them as anything. Your entire post veers into unrelated drivel. There's not even a valid point on the issue to reply to, so I guess we're done. Have a nice day.
Back to top Go down
Rule Breaker
…is a Newbie.
…is a Newbie.
Rule Breaker

Male
Rep : 0

PostSubject: Re: Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero   Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 1:46 pm

If Muslim radicals really wanted to slap Americans in the face they would be building the mosque next to the NSA. I don't see what the big deal is. I can tell you i don't like seeing a church on every corner but that's not my decision to tell bible thumpers where they can and can not pray to their God.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female

PostSubject: Re: Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero   Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 1:46 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:

More petty insults. Razz And you say I sound stupid? If what I say pisses you off so damn much, how about you don't read my posts and save us both a little time?

No, I got pissed off because this actually is a very personal issue for me. I KNOW people who died in 9/11. And I have friends who are Muslim and went through HELL in the aftermath. So yeah, when I read your sheer stupidity....it sent me off into the deep end.

Quote :
I am not saying we should label them as anything. Your entire post veers into unrelated drivel. There's not even a valid point on the issue to reply to, so I guess we're done. Have a nice day.

Yeah, IYSS.......you have nothing to dispute. Your logic has been refuted and debunked once again. This has become an ugly habit of yours. Don't even try to discuss this issue anymore youngblood. And you have an even NICER day. cool
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male

PostSubject: Re: Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero   Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 1:52 pm

^^^^
That sent you off? That's what you think. Wink Sorry, but I'm not the stupid one here.

My logic stands. You didn't say a damn thing to contradict it, much less debunk it. It's a tasteless and mean-spirited thing to build a mosque at ground zero. That doesn't mean there are not good muslims at all. You didn't say a damn thing to refute my point. You never do. You always just lose your temper, stamp your feet, and insult me and act like you proved a point. They have a right to build there, but it is unwise and mean-spirited to specifically choose THIS location of all the locations. We can't mandate that they don't build it there but they shouldn't be doing it in the first place. You can't debunk that because it's a view and you can only say that you disagree. Now grow up and stop throwing a fit whenever somebody says something you don't like.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female

PostSubject: Re: Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero   Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 2:05 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:
^^^^
That sent you off? That's what you think. Wink Sorry, but I'm not the stupid one here.

My logic stands. You didn't say a damn thing to contradict it, much less debunk it. It's a tasteless and mean-spirited thing to build a mosque at ground zero. That doesn't mean there are not good muslims at all. You didn't say a damn thing to refute my point. You never do. You always just lose your temper, stamp your feet, and insult me and act like you proved a point. They have a right to build there, but it is unwise and mean-spirited to specifically choose THIS location of all the locations. We can't mandate that they don't build it there but they shouldn't be doing it in the first place. You can't debunk that because it's a view and you can only say that you disagree. Now grow up and stop throwing a fit whenever somebody says something you don't like.

Refute what I said then. Why CAN'T they build it there?Once again, you decided to go off on a mindless tirade and accuse me of insulting you. Which is all you do when you see how much crap that you spit gets pointed out at you. Can't stand to be wrong huh? And I'm the one who gets upset? LMAO. All that babbling and you STILL haven't refuted one thing I said. But I know the reason why. YOU FUCKING CAN'T!!!!!!!!! How's that for throwing a fit? LOL, lame.
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male

PostSubject: Re: Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero   Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 2:11 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:
Refute what I said then. Why CAN'T they build it there?Once again, you decided to go off on a mindless tirade and accuse me of insulting you. Which is all you do when you see how much crap that you spit gets pointed out at you. Can't stand to be wrong huh? And I'm the one who gets upset? LMAO. All that babbling and you STILL haven't refuted one thing I said. But I know the reason why. YOU FUCKING CAN'T!!!!!!!!! How's that for throwing a fit? LOL, lame.

I'd refute what you say more often if you said anything on point. Razz I don't mind being wrong, you've just never once proved that I am.

Okay, refute you? Easy, I never said that they CAN'T build there; merely that they SHOULDN'T! Very big distinction in words. As why shouldn't they build there, I already answered that in my previous post but you ignored that part.

Now, I gave my view. You disagree with it. This is an opinion-driven issue.(The OP asked a question; I answered. You didn't like it, so you scream) Unlike you, I am not going to throw a temper tantrum if you disagree on this with me. Later lady! Razz
Back to top Go down
DarkOblivion
…is a Newbie.
…is a Newbie.
DarkOblivion

Male
Rep : 4

PostSubject: Re: Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero   Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 2:25 pm

The thing nobody talks about is the families of the victims. Nobody gives a shit about how they feel. Like it or not, but their friends & loved one's were burned alive and butchered in the worst way possible by Muslim terrorists! And people think it's APPROPRIATE to build a huge MUSLIM tower right on top of where their BONES could be laying? It`s like a big "Fuck you" to these people. I mean WTF? It's nothing about religion. If it was some Christian gang who did it, you don't go and build some Christian center. It's just too insensitive.
Back to top Go down
CatEyes10736
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
CatEyes10736

Female
Rep : 126

PostSubject: Re: Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero   Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 2:58 pm

Opposition to it is bigotry, plain and simple. When Christian Timothy McVeigh bombed the Federal building, was there an anti-Church movement; when Christians in the name of life bomb clinics and people die inside them or kill abortion doctors, are Churches questioned are subject to zone restrictions and the like? Those churches the attackers attended are they even approached? Has anyone ever considered the two factors. The Imam is a consultant for the FBI and has been since 2003, the NY office of the FBI is blocks away - ever wonder if they is an intelligence need for the close proximity to one another; or did it ever occur to any of you anti-Mosque supporters that the building of the Mosque demonstrates to the second largest religion on the planet that we are stronger, more united and of sound character than Al Qedea expected. This just gives the enemy what they want to see: discrimination against Muslims - all Muslims.
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male

PostSubject: Re: Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero   Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 3:17 pm

CatEyes10736 wrote:
Opposition to it is bigotry, plain and simple. When Christian Timothy McVeigh bombed the Federal building, was there an anti-Church movement; when Christians in the name of life bomb clinics and people die inside them or kill abortion doctors, are Churches questioned are subject to zone restrictions and the like? Those churches the attackers attended are they even approached? Has anyone ever considered the two factors. The Imam is a consultant for the FBI and has been since 2003, the NY office of the FBI is blocks away - ever wonder if they is an intelligence need for the close proximity to one another; or did it ever occur to any of you anti-Mosque supporters that the building of the Mosque demonstrates to the second largest religion on the planet that we are stronger, more united and of sound character than Al Qedea expected. This just gives the enemy what they want to see: discrimination against Muslims - all Muslims.
Okay, seriously? NOBODY is saying that we should shut down all mosques. ALL people are saying is that it is insensitive to build a mosque on the sight where Muslims killed IN THE NAME of Islam. It's not bigotry; it's human decency. (And there is a big anti-Church movement anyway. But I am sure if a Church wanted to set up on the site of a bombed abortion clinic, you bet your butt people would be pissed as hell, most of whom currently support the choice to open the mosque)

And is bigotry the default response to any opposition to something the left supports lately? Gosh, they new a new attack card, this one is so worn out that bigotry doesn't mean anything anymore.
Back to top Go down
Jason B.
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Jason B.

Male
Rep : 70

PostSubject: Re: Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero   Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 5:51 pm

I see no legal reason why they shouldn't be able to build a mosque there, but everyone has to know that erecting anything muslim-related at that location is going to set off a huge emotional shit storm and chance for backlash. I don't understand why anyone would do something quite that deliberate. I just don't think it's worth it the drama.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

PostSubject: Re: Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero   Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 7:59 pm

They have a right to build there. I can understand why some would deem it classless and see it as offensive, and I don't totally disagree, but I support their right to purchase the land and erect whatever they choose, so long as it's legal and meets the standards of local ordinances. Just as it is the right of every contractor to oppose working for them in building this. Let's take this whole freedom thing all the way, shall we?
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male

PostSubject: Re: Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero   Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 8:18 pm

^^^^The freedom thing is all the way. But with freedom comes responsibility, and this doesn't do it.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero   Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 8:26 pm

I may be a simpleton in this matter, but I don't see why those so steadfast in their stance against it feel as such. It is two blocks away, part of construction owned privately, and not directly on the blocks that occupied the WTC. Granted, it is close, but I don't see how close proximity is disrespectful. Who is to say what is not "insensitive"? Three blocks away, three miles away, not within NYC city limits?

The majority of American Muslims did not advocate the attacks that awful day.
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male

PostSubject: Re: Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero   Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 8:27 pm

RedBedroom wrote:
The majority of American Muslims did not advocate the attacks that awful day.
Nobody is saying that they did though. It's not about vilifying all Muslims at all or taking it out on them. If people think that is what it is, I guess they just aren't paying attention.

Last edited by Forgiveness_Man on Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tmontyb
…is Authorized.
…is Authorized.
tmontyb

Male
Rep : 37

PostSubject: Re: Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero   Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 8:41 pm

Chris wrote:
They have a right to build there. I can understand why some would deem it classless and see it as offensive, and I don't totally disagree, but I support their right to purchase the land and erect whatever they choose, so long as it's legal and meets the standards of local ordinances. Just as it is the right of every contractor to oppose working for them in building this. Let's take this whole freedom thing all the way, shall we?

co-signs

I was against it at first, but when I thought it over, I was okay with it. It's a few blocks from Ground Zero, it's on private property and it's their basic right as an American do what they want with it.

I think it pretty disgusting to take 9/11 out on all Muslims. There are innocent Muslims overseas still being persecuted and killed every single day by extremists. Plus there are Mosques in the area already.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero   Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 8:56 pm

Quote :
It's not about vilifying all Muslims at all or taking it out on them.

Another issue we will have to agree to disagree on. I don't see how major objection is anything but vilifying, hence punishing, all Muslims.
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male

PostSubject: Re: Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero   Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 9:11 pm

RedBedroom wrote:

Another issue we will have to agree to disagree on. I don't see how major objection is anything but vilifying, hence punishing, all Muslims.
AtD is fine with me. Razz

But know, it's not about vilifying all Muslims at all, nor is it about punishing them. Even many Muslims can see that. It's just not the motivation of the issues with it.
Back to top Go down
kinetic
…is an Up 'N Comer.
…is an Up 'N Comer.
kinetic

Male
Rep : 19

PostSubject: Re: Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero   Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 12:32 am

This is not a matter of bigotry. If the people wishing to build this Islamic Center or Mosque want to build it somewhere other than the site of a crime committed by Islamic extremists then I would staunchly defend their right to do so, as many Americans would, I'm sure. But you can't build a Shinto Shrine at Pearl Harbor. You can't open a Wagnerian Opera House at the site of Auschwitz - or a convent for that matter. The reason this is being located at this spot is precisely to provoke an angry reaction. It is intended as a memorial to the "victory" of Islam on 9/11.
Back to top Go down
RiteDiva
…is an Up 'N Comer.
…is an Up 'N Comer.
RiteDiva

Female
Rep : 8

PostSubject: Re: Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero   Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 12:42 am

Since I lost someone very close to me on that deadly day, I feel I have a right to speak on this topic. The opposers are funny as hell. The Muslims bought the property; if you people have a beef, take it up with the people that sold it to them. They're the ones who had the power to stop the building of anything Muslim. I don't blame "Muslims" for 9/11; I blame those sick holier than thou freaks who think they are God's gift to the world we all just happen to live in. Since this is America and their American money purchased property, build whatever you want as long as its lawful. Who the heck am I to tell you what to do with your property...
Back to top Go down
kinetic
…is an Up 'N Comer.
…is an Up 'N Comer.
kinetic

Male
Rep : 19

PostSubject: Re: Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero   Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 12:49 am

RiteDiva wrote:
Since I lost someone very close to me on that deadly day, I feel I have a right to speak on this topic. The opposers are funny as hell. The Muslims bought the property; if you people have a beef, take it up with the people that sold it to them. They're the ones who had the power to stop the building of anything Muslim. I don't blame "Muslims" for 9/11; I blame those sick holier than thou freaks who think they are God's gift to the world we all just happen to live in. Since this is America and their American money purchased property, build whatever you want as long as its lawful. Who the heck am I to tell you what to do with your property...

The former owner of that property had every right to sell it at a fair price. The new owners, however, DON'T have the right to do whatever they want with it. It has to be approved by the community, and in cases where oversight is required (as in THIS instance), others step in. For MY part, I still give it a decided thumbs down.
Back to top Go down
Marc™
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
Marc™

Male
Rep : 212

PostSubject: Re: Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero   Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 12:52 am

Why is it alright for a bigot like Glenn Beck to speak at the Lincoln Memorial on MLK day, but not okay to build a mosque two blocks from ground zero? Check your First Amendment people, they have every right to do this. If they can't build a mosque 2 blocks from ground zero - what should be done with the existing mosques 4 and 12 blocks from ground zero....what is the definition of ground zero? And what should we do with the mosque that is in the Pentagon - surely that is sacred ground? We sent a government contingent to Hiroshima this year, I suppose the Japanese should have told us to go fuck ourselves.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero   Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero Empty

Back to top Go down

Building a Mosque @ Ground Zero
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next