CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+8
CatEyes10736
Impact
Marc™
RedBedroom
Nystyle709
Supernova
Forgiveness Man
Jason B.
12 posters

Have we gotten too liberal with personal info online

Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Have we gotten too liberal with personal info online Empty Have we gotten too liberal with personal info online

Post by Jason B. Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:41 pm

I remember back in '95, when I first got online. There used to be a huge sense of "caution" and paranoia about revealing any kind of personal info. (like real names and pictures) online. Nowadays we have dating sites, social networking and even webcam sites where people blast their face, real name, location, cell #'s, etc. all over them.

What do you think about this? Has society gotten too comfortable with exposing yourself over the Internet?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Have we gotten too liberal with personal info online Empty Re: Have we gotten too liberal with personal info online

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:46 pm

Yes we have, but I don't feel names and pictures are really crossing the line too much. Personal addresses or numbers however, definitely.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Have we gotten too liberal with personal info online Empty Re: Have we gotten too liberal with personal info online

Post by Supernova Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:52 pm

Indeeeeeed. The way I see it, anybody who has the know-how can already dig up all your personal information by your computer, why make it all the more easier for the nuts in the world?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:03 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:Yes we have, but I don't feel names and pictures are really crossing the line too much. Personal addresses or numbers however, definitely.

I agree.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:19 pm

What's that? I don't think we 'heard' you.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:24 pm

^^^ It's text. Step into the 21st century? Wink
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:24 pm

Definitely. I am really surprised about how many people are so open about info on their kids. I try to be as private as I can. But I feel that I am more loose lipped than I should be.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:26 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:I agree.

bitch-slapped Girl wake up!
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:44 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:I agree.
    cool dance
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:50 pm

Back when the Internet was still a new thing, people assumed everyone on the other end was a stalker or hacker because they weren't used to it. I once lost out on some rare archive music footage that someone was offering that I wanted because I was too chicken shit to give out my shipping info. Today the Internet is as customary as a TV or phone. Everything is online now, companies keep their employment roster on their websites (with pictures). You still have to be careful, but the height of paranoia that people once had about their names and pictures being seen online in retrospect is silly. It's no more dangerous than being featured in a news paper article or television news story.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:33 pm

Impact wrote:You still have to be careful, but the height of paranoia that people once had about their names and pictures being seen online in retrospect is silly. It's no more dangerous than being featured in a news paper article or television news story.

I don't think that a level of paranoia is a bad thing when it comes to online habits. Social networking sites like FB give people so much information. (to be fair to you, Impact, I don't think that your post was really in regard to social networking sites)

Consider a place like this. We all chat each other up, share personal anecdotes and our interests, hobbies, sometimes jobs, real names, and city of residence. If there was a nut job (NOT AT ALL saying there is) among us, and was beyond just a troll poster, he/she could really map us out and figure out ways to screw with our jobs, our kids' schools, and our extended family.

And I believe that could happen. If people are bored enough to act a fool on message boards, attacking fans of shows they don't even watch, imagine what one nut job might do if they felt they were personally attacked on some random message board.

CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:38 am

We have gotten too laxed with exposing personal info. online, but at the same time I also don't think that because the net is so commonplace now that there's this element of "safety in numbers" that exists today that didn't once upon a time.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:51 am

Yeah - I think some people really do go too far. I've seen all kinds of things that make me cringe. I think the younger generation in particular (school-age kids) are far to open and will post everything about themselves. I think some people really have become to liberal online. You only have to look as far as shows like Dateline's hidden camera eppies to see how trusting many young people are. I know that many elderly are the victims of phone scams because they willingly give out information, trusting the voice on the other end. with younger generations, I think the danger can lie in online sites where we share and don't realize how public information really can be.

You bring up a great point, redbedroom - and there are people out there bored enough and crazy enough to do it.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:32 pm

Marc wrote:

bitch-slapped Girl wake up!

laughing I'm awake now!
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:06 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:

I agree.

ROFLMFAO
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sun May 29, 2011 6:53 am

Yes. But on the other hand, since society as a whole has shifted towards online communication, I think there's an element of 'safety in numbers' that didn't exist once upon a time.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sun May 29, 2011 9:31 am

Impact wrote:...You still have to be careful, but the height of paranoia that people once had about their names and pictures being seen online in retrospect is silly. It's no more dangerous than being featured in a news paper article or television news story.
    Since 1980 I have had well over 200 letters to the editor published in newspapers under my real name. I also have had a phone and my real name, number and address has been in the phone book all that time. And, I have actually received a couple of crank phone calls because of my expressed opinion in print - but many more calls of support.

I also received one letter from a guy pissed at my opinion about the Tawana Brawley case and the need for due process. He gave no return address but signed his name, Chilt Harper and wrote: "Stop wasting space with your stupid right-wing crap. You scum are the reason for all that is wrong in society today. Just shut up."

Right Wing?? blank stare @ you Anyhow, stuff like that lets you know the extent of the nutcases out there and we all know they have easier access on the Web.

I quit using my real name because it just confused any search of that name with all the inane stuff we post on forum boards. So if you Yahoo search Rob, you will find enuf about me, that I am gay, nudist and not particularly right-wing. Also be warned if you click on that DSC link with numbers - full frontal nude pic of me an Bern Loibl, publisher of Naturally magazine, which ran my Nude Attitude column.

So, my real identity can be found easily enuf. I've made ref to it with links to my personal Web pages here and on other boards. I have facebook and MySpace in my real name, so Shale is not entirely hidden, just obfuscated. I also have a good spam filter in case Chilt Harper remembers my name, tho his letter was typed on a ribbon typewriter - he prolly avoids this right-wing Internets thing.

Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun May 29, 2011 12:46 pm

Chris wrote:Yes. But on the other hand, since society as a whole has shifted towards online communication, I think there's an element of 'safety in numbers' that didn't exist once upon a time.

Chris, I'm not sure about safety in numbers. Depending on the threat, e.g. an email-spread virus, groups can be just as vulnerable as individuals. Unless it's a "secure" site, I'm not comfortable giving out any personal information that I wouldn't throw out with the rest of our trash.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Mon May 30, 2011 2:02 am

Yeah - I'm really careful with personal info unless it's a secure site, though even those can't always be trusted.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 12:41 am