CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+10
AtownPeep
MandyPerfumeGirl
TSJFan4Ever
fetaby
Forgiveness Man
RedBedroom
Supernova
Chris
Nystyle709
Marc™
14 posters

Do You Donate Blood?

Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Do You Donate Blood? Empty Do You Donate Blood?

Post by Marc™ Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:02 am

Do you donate blood yes/no and why?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Do You Donate Blood? Empty Re: Do You Donate Blood?

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:55 am

I have, but I haven't donated in like 8 years. The first time I donated was at a school blood drive. When I tried again, they said the iron in my blood was too low (which is funny considering they took it the first time). I think it's a noble thing to do. Do your small part in helping others.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:30 pm

Legally, I'm not eligible.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:47 pm

Why's that, Chris?

And to answer, no.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:36 pm

I donated blood for a while, and then the Red Cross asked me to start to donate plasma. There is a place here that people get paid to do that, but they don't pay. But for years I did just to be a good person. I have stopped going because ever since the first time I donated, my vein in my left arm has been troublesome. All the nurses know that and it had gotten to the point where none of them wanted to be my nurse. I hate the needles and the pain and how I usually felt ill afterword. So, I decided it wasn't worth it when they all made me feel like there was something so bad about me and I was trying to do something good.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:38 pm

Nah, not my thing.
    fetaby
    fetaby
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 2

Post by fetaby Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:28 pm

I too am not eligible.

Gay men who have has sex after the year 1973 are not allowed to donate blood per Center for Disease Control.

Regardless of the health status of that individual.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:45 pm

Fetaby, don't feel like you have to answer at all, I suspect I am over-stepping by asking....but how does that make you feel? I think that it is unfair for them to exclude such a demographic. Obviously, they are looking at HIV risk, but isn't a young 20 something girl more "risky" than an older gay male? I would think so.

I know all the questions they ask, but never knew that one would be excluded based on the male gay sex one. I know that two of the questions, I had thought may exclude me were the one about new piercings, and the other about having sex with someone who was on blood thinners within the last year. Both times those applied to me, they were just fine with it.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:07 pm

RedBedroom wrote:Fetaby, don't feel like you have to answer at all, I suspect I am over-stepping by asking....but how does that make you feel? I think that it is unfair for them to exclude such a demographic. Obviously, they are looking at HIV risk, but isn't a young 20 something girl more "risky" than an older gay male? I would think so.

I know all the questions they ask, but never knew that one would be excluded based on the male gay sex one. I know that two of the questions, I had thought may exclude me were the one about new piercings, and the other about having sex with someone who was on blood thinners within the last year. Both times those applied to me, they were just fine with it.

This very outdated provision still being on the books makes no sense at all, since all donor blood is screened anyway.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:30 pm

Thanks for that reply, Chris.

Yeah, it is so outdated. Like you say, it is all screened anyway. Plus, I have noticed that there are ways for people who donate to somewhat anonymously indicate that their blood should not be used. That is for cases like a work or school promoted blood drive, so that people who feel that they are at risk should not have to not donate to "out" themselves to some degree. There is a box to check about not using the donation.

I really have a problem with gay males who have had gay sex since early 70's being excluded. That is ridiculous. It infers that a gay male, no matter his age, or the amount of years he has been monogamous, is "risky"...so what if he is...it is all tested anyways. Just like a single person in their 20's is tested. I can say that in a very general analysis, I would much more think a gay guy who is 35+ is safer about being HIV than a 20 something cute college coed.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:59 am

I used to but haven't for awhile.

My Mom donated for years but was then told that she could no longer donate blood because she'd received blood transfusions in the late 70's, even though there's nothing wrong with her or her blood. I guess anyone who received blood transfusions in the 70's or earlier can't donate anymore.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:34 pm

I've never donated blood. I saw that donating-blood-scene in "Sunshine Cleaning" and it scared the hell out of me.
    AtownPeep
    AtownPeep
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 39

Post by AtownPeep Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:32 am

Selfish as it sounds: no.
    Don't like needles. If someone I knew was in need of my type and I was their only option, then I probably would, but I haven't ever had the urge to randomly donate just to be charitable.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:56 pm

bump
    Anyone else?
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:08 am

Marc™ wrote:Do you donate blood yes/no and why?
    I used to donate blood, but now I don't. Even though I'm not a Jehovahs Witness, I currently subscribe to their intepretation of the bible as it pertains to blood transfusions. I don't beleive we were meant to share blood and I believe that may be biblically supported through scripture. Even though this is one issue that I've "flip-flopped" over several times, I am currently not confident enough to say that it's okay to change my mind in favor of blood donation.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:13 am

fetaby wrote:I too am not eligible.

Gay men who have has sex after the year 1973 are not allowed to donate blood per Center for Disease Control.

Regardless of the health status of that individual.
    You know what's really funny about this rule? It didn't pertain to any gay male serving in the US military from 1993-2010 due to the Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy. Military members were routinely encouraged to donate blood, but they were not allowed to ask us about our sexual orientation.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:20 am

no i have never donated blood
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:41 am

Chris wrote:
    This very outdated provision still being on the books makes no sense at all, since all donor blood is screened anyway.
    Which is why I violate one of my priciples and lie. A lie to a stupid, outrageous, discriminatory question in my opinion is justifiable.

To date I have donated over 5 gallons of disease-free blood. Probably saved a few lives because of those lies.

Do You Donate Blood? ShaleDonateBloodJun10
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:49 am

Yes, when I can. I've only done it twice because I'm always pregnant or breastfeeding, or I don't weigh enough (you have to weigh 110)...
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:50 pm

Commemorative Blood Donation
    by Shale Stone
    August 6, 2011

Call it a convergence of events - or synchronicity but I know one place I will be on September 13, 2011. I will be donating blood at a Red Cross collection site in St. Peters, Missouri.

Donating blood is not so unusual for me. I donate regularly on Miami Beach (Bloodmobile is parked each weekend outside the Regal Cinema on Lincoln Road).
    Do You Donate Blood? ShaleDonateBloodJun10

The Community Blood Centers of South Florida just sent me a certificate for three gallons of donations earlier this year but my own records back to 1987 show I've been tapped for five gallons.
    Do You Donate Blood? 5477689938_a5f993c771_o

So, why will I be donating in Missouri on a specific date? Especially, since I will be returning to South Florida the next day. It's just to satisfy my sense of order - of commemorating events on anniversary dates.

I will be staying at my sister's house most of September, taking care of the dog and visiting mom while she goes to visit her son on his 40th birthday. Guess she also likes to commemorate certain dates. She was planning to visit him ten years ago on his 30th birthday, which is September 11th but we know what happened on that day in 2001. So my trip was planned and I would be there until the 14th.

Still you may be wondering why specifically the 13th. Well that will be a 10th anniversary for me and it was brot to my attention by my last blood donation, which was on July 17th.
    On the Sheet at the blood bank, they wrote my next eligible date to donate, which is
    09-11-11. That date, 9-11 is permanently etched in our national consciousness and I determined to donate blood again in commemoration.

Well, September 11th this year falls on Sunday and the blood banks are closed. But ten years ago I did not donate on the 11th. I was at work watching the horrific events unfold on a TV in our dining room. I actually went a couple days later on the 13th of September as did a million other Americans. The Red Cross at the time reported that 1.4 million Americans had tried to schedule blood donations within 10 hours of the attack. The blood banks were inundated with people wanting to do something. Sadly, they didn't need the anticipated blood - there were relatively few injuries, with 3,000 deaths.

But I did donate on September 13th 2001 and plan to commemorate that event a decade later. It won't be a waste. There is always a need for this life-giving fluid.

Last edited by Opa Shale on Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:03 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Update)
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Do You Donate Blood? Empty Update

Post by Shale Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:04 pm

Commemorative Blood Donation Update:
    September 13, 2011

The 10th anniversary Blood Donation was accomplished today in St. Peters, Missouri.

Do You Donate Blood? 201109-13DonateBlood01Shale

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:03 am