Did you ever discuss life insurance with your parents? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Did you ever discuss life insurance with your parents?

Go down 
+3
Tony Marino
RobbieFTW
RedBedroom
7 posters
AuthorMessage
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

Did you ever discuss life insurance with your parents? Empty
PostSubject: Did you ever discuss life insurance with your parents?   Did you ever discuss life insurance with your parents? EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 5:31 pm

That has to be such a hard discussion to have. But I am going to have to ask my dad about it one of these days. I really don't know what he has, if anything. When Mom died, I think she had little or no coverage. So, it was pretty expensive for Dad.

When Dad dies, he expects me to keep the house in the family for a vacation home, and I am thinking about that more and more because it is going to be quite an expense and I don't know what I will do if I have to take over the house expenses as well as his burial.

So, just wondering if any of you have had this discussion with the parents.
Back to top Go down
RobbieFTW
…is Being Fitted For a Crown.
…is Being Fitted For a Crown.
RobbieFTW

Male
Rep : 145

PostSubject: Re: Did you ever discuss life insurance with your parents?   Did you ever discuss life insurance with your parents? EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 9:36 pm

No. I think the closest conversation I ever had was when my mom paid off the house when I was about 17 and she told me if something ever happen to her and my stepdad that me and my sibs would be able to continue living there.
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

PostSubject: Re: Did you ever discuss life insurance with your parents?   Did you ever discuss life insurance with your parents? EmptyMon Oct 04, 2010 1:44 pm

Since my Mama passed on my Dad has had no kind of insurance at all. He is arrogant about it and expects the family to pay his funeral expenses and other expenses. Since he is very old now I have control over his finances and for the past 5 years I set up a special bank account and have been putting aside 100.00 a month to help cover his funeral expenses. By the time he goes I will have enough to cover all of it hopefully. My father is a very selfish man and thinks of no one but himself.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female

PostSubject: Re: Did you ever discuss life insurance with your parents?   Did you ever discuss life insurance with your parents? EmptyMon Oct 04, 2010 3:21 pm

Tony, thanks for your honest reply. I am glad that you have had the ability to set money aside for that. It is arrogance and/or vanity that keeps my dad from being upfront about anything having to do with his death. When Mom was alive, my dad never thought to talk to me about what I would do if he died first. Mom was unable to live alone for many years prior to her death. It was just like he knew he wasn't going to die first and never made a plan for it. That is why I don't think he has life insurance, or if he does, it is in conjunction with his pension, and probably not that much.

It is hard to talk to parents about matters like this.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Did you ever discuss life insurance with your parents?   Did you ever discuss life insurance with your parents? EmptyMon Oct 04, 2010 8:57 pm

Yep yep, I've talked about insurance with both of my parents so I'd know what to do. I know what kind of insurance they have, who they have it with, how much it is and me and brother are beneficiaries on their policies. I know what my mom and dad wants me to do if something happens.....where they wanna be buried, how they wanna be buried, etc. When I was younger, I was a little leery about getting into that as well because you know....hey, I don't wanna think about them dying. But it's a conversation that I think needs to be had. Same with me. My folks know the provisions I have in place in case something happens to me. There aren't going to be any misunderstandings going on. Talk about it, get it out of the way and live your life.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female

PostSubject: Re: Did you ever discuss life insurance with your parents?   Did you ever discuss life insurance with your parents? EmptyMon Oct 04, 2010 9:48 pm

Good for you that you all have that ironed out. You bring up an excellent point of knowing what their wishes are too. I literally found out Mom's wish to be cremated the day after she died. And because I had always assumed regular burial, it was a heavy thing to process in an already difficult time.
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

PostSubject: Re: Did you ever discuss life insurance with your parents?   Did you ever discuss life insurance with your parents? EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 10:28 am

RedBedroom wrote:
Tony, thanks for your honest reply. I am glad that you have had the ability to set money aside for that. It is arrogance and/or vanity that keeps my dad from being upfront about anything having to do with his death. When Mom was alive, my dad never thought to talk to me about what I would do if he died first. Mom was unable to live alone for many years prior to her death. It was just like he knew he wasn't going to die first and never made a plan for it. That is why I don't think he has life insurance, or if he does, it is in conjunction with his pension, and probably not that much.

It is hard to talk to parents about matters like this.

Yeah well my Dad just thinks he has it coming to him because he thinks he was the sterling father. He never talked about any kind of insurance other than his car insurance. When I realized that this expense was going to fall on the family I thought to take action to help out when it does happen. He has no idea I do this so in the end, the joke will be on him.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

PostSubject: Re: Did you ever discuss life insurance with your parents?   Did you ever discuss life insurance with your parents? EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 9:28 am

To this day I have never discussed any kind of life insurance issue with my folks. Their both in their mid-late sixties now, so I imagine the conversation will come up in the next ten years, but it hasn't yet.
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Cheaps
Cheaps

Female
Rep : 252

PostSubject: Re: Did you ever discuss life insurance with your parents?   Did you ever discuss life insurance with your parents? EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 1:25 am

i sorta had a convo with my ma, she just mentioned some of it with me, i know she does have money set aside (she been wit her company for over 22 years so she has life ins through them i believe) she mentioned her grandkids get a good chunk. but we've never really discussed more than that. she turns 52 this year, so we have quite a few years to talk still.

scary, i didnt like it when she brought it up.
Back to top Go down
sailorlover
…is an Up 'N Comer.
…is an Up 'N Comer.
sailorlover

Female
Rep : 2

PostSubject: Re: Did you ever discuss life insurance with your parents?   Did you ever discuss life insurance with your parents? EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 5:59 am

My family has always talked about Life Insurance. Especially since my father owns and operates a HUGE beef cattle farm. It's know where the property lies with each child and what their responsibilites. Also, we are aware of the fact that we can sell our share of the business to my brother that operates with my father. My parents have always had life insurance policies on all us 4 children too. Then when we were 18, we took over the monthly payments of the insurance. As for my children, as soon as they were born we put policies on them. In the military my husband and I both have life insurance policies. I know people don't like to talk about anything pertaining to death, but it's invitable (sp) and it's better to be ready then hit upside the head when someone passes away.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Did you ever discuss life insurance with your parents?   Did you ever discuss life insurance with your parents? Empty

Back to top Go down

Did you ever discuss life insurance with your parents?
Page 1 of 1