The fear of old age Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The fear of old age

Go down 
+4
Chris
RedBedroom
Tony Marino
Supernova
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

The fear of old age Empty
PostSubject: The fear of old age   The fear of old age EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 4:57 pm

Can you think of anything as bad, or maybe even worse, than when you're in your old age, to be sick, or to have trouble getting around, and having to be in a nursing home, or a wheelchair, or bedridden, or something like that?

I can think of something that I consider to be equally as terrifying. Being old, and in excellent health, and living independently, and just not doing anything, and I mean really just about ANYTHING. Not bathing, not changing clothes, not cooking your own meals, not reading books or the newspaper, not doing puzzles or playing cards or listening to the radio or watching TV, or even going out, going out in your yard or anywhere.

That is the thought of old age that really terrifies me, to be in great health and still have a somewhat sound mind, and have your own home, but you are so completely empty for whatever reason, that you do nothing and totally depend on somebody else to bring your meals and bathe you and clean up your mess and all of that. And for my family, that is a reality because that is exactly what my grandmother does. Can anybody here imagine a person willingly deciding to live like that at the expense of another relative having to be the sole caregiver, when the person in question is NOT helpless or disabled?
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

PostSubject: Re: The fear of old age   The fear of old age EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 5:45 pm

When I get that age, if no family members are caring for me I will check into a good facility like maybe Assisted Living. I can 't imagine being old and having all your faculties and not doing anything, that is just not me, I would try to get involved in some programs for seniors, there is a lot available to seniors if they would just look for it.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: The fear of old age   The fear of old age EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 10:42 pm

I agree with Tony. For an active senior, there is no reason for them to be alone sans activity all the time. There is a lot out there. Now, I understand that insecurity may keep some from taking the opportunity to do all that, but maybe that is because they have had a lifetime of not seizing the opportunity in many situations.

There are people even years before retirement age that just sit around and don't get out there and do things. I would rather just get out and read in a park than just sit around doing nothing.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

PostSubject: Re: The fear of old age   The fear of old age EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 11:02 am

I agree with Tony too. If I get to the point where caring for myself becomes increasingly unrealistic, then I'll go into an assisted living facility willingly. I'd rather not have my children take care of me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: The fear of old age   The fear of old age EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 11:06 am

Supernova wrote:
...Being old, and in excellent health, and living independently, and just not doing anything, and I mean really just about ANYTHING. Not bathing, not changing clothes, not cooking your own meals, not reading books or the newspaper, not doing puzzles or playing cards or listening to the radio or watching TV, or even going out, going out in your yard or anywhere.

That is the thought of old age that really terrifies me, ...
What you describe here is not old age, it is depression. It is common among older populations but young ppl have the same symptoms.
Back to top Go down
Hyacinth Girl
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Hyacinth Girl

Female
Rep : 70

PostSubject: Re: The fear of old age   The fear of old age EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 11:22 am

I can see this with my grandmother, too, but she is also handicapped, having had polio as a child. I help her as much as I can, but also try to make her do for herself when she can too. At 86 she's still mentally very sharp, but all her life, has not minded at all if you want to wait on her. .. She lives alone in an elderly apartment building, has hired help for groceries and cleaning, and I pick up the slack in between.

I can see that with growing older, you do start to slow down a bit--I'm seeing the beginnings of that in myself. The more I age, the bigger the yard and house seem, and I just can't do some of the heavy-duty things I used to be able to do, that a home requires.

I hope that when I get on in years, I'll still be able to be active enough to not become a lump and a slug that sits around all day. I have all these plans for myself and I hope I can see them happen and that I'll still be able to fend for myself.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: The fear of old age   The fear of old age EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 2:03 pm

Supernova wrote:
Can you think of anything as bad, or maybe even worse, than when you're in your old age, to be sick, or to have trouble getting around, and having to be in a nursing home, or a wheelchair, or bedridden, or something like that?

To be that way when you're young.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: The fear of old age   The fear of old age EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 7:25 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:
Supernova wrote:

To be that way when you're young.

Yep.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The fear of old age   The fear of old age Empty

Back to top Go down

The fear of old age
Page 1 of 1