CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
Shale
Alan Smithee
Chris
adamwarlock
Supernova
9 posters

Remakes that are actually better than the originals

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Remakes that are actually better than the originals Empty Remakes that are actually better than the originals

Post by Supernova Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:58 pm

A rare topic, but I'm sure we all know of some movies where the remake is actually superior to the original.

One right off hand for me is Last Holiday, the original was pretty depressing, and SPOILERS, the man who was misdiagnosed, finds out he's not dying, but then gets into a car crash and dies at the hospital! At least Queen Latifah's character got to live, and pursue her dream of opening her own restaurant, and she had a lot more fun than Alec Guiness did, he just seemed to really be wasting time waiting to die, not even enjoying himself until near the end.

The Bat (1959). Now, I'm not saying the original version from 1926 and its 1930 remake aren't good, they are VERY good, however they follow closer to the original play and novel and are a mystery/comedy...whereas the 1959 remake remained a suspenseful, frightening murder mystery, with its characters almost completely different from how they were portrayed two movies before. And it has been one of my FAVORITE movies for about 18 years now.

Peter Pan. I think I'm cheating on this one because I don't like the 1953 Disney version, but I LOVE the 1960 play for TV version with Mary Martin, I never cared for any actual movie versions of it.

That's about all I can think of for this category, anybody else got some to add?
    adamwarlock
    adamwarlock
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 0

Remakes that are actually better than the originals Empty Re: Remakes that are actually better than the originals

Post by adamwarlock Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:52 pm

I think when they remake a lesser known film, they might do it better than trying to tackle a classic. They did a whole bunch in the 30s, remaking silent films that they thought no one would ever want to watch again.

I'd say Hitchcock remade his own film, The Man Who Knew Too Much better the second time. Both version are good but I like the 50s version better than the 30s.

Not that I think it's better but I was noticing that the remake of the Manchurian Candidate had a plot that made more sense than the original. Having the son-in-law of the communist backed VP kill the presidential nominee would have ruined their plan. Having the brainwashed son be the candidate and the sgt. be the brainwashed killer made more sense.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Remakes that are actually better than the originals Empty Re: Remakes that are actually better than the originals

Post by Chris Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:43 pm

bump
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:53 pm

The Maltese Falcon
    Ocean's Eleven
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:39 am

The Amazing Spider Man

Remakes that are actually better than the originals 07-02spiderman_full_600
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:04 pm

Halloween 2
    Scarface
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:34 am

Godzira.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:06 am

Rise of the Apes (whatever it was last year)

twas basically a remake of Escape From and Conquest for Planet of the Apes

I really enjoyed this new updated version.. was much more believable than the whole time travel thing
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:15 pm

wants2laugh wrote:Rise of the Apes (whatever it was last year)

That one.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:30 pm