What's wrong with boys playing with girls' toys? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What's wrong with boys playing with girls' toys?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

What's wrong with boys playing with girls' toys? Empty
PostSubject: What's wrong with boys playing with girls' toys?   What's wrong with boys playing with girls' toys? EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 7:28 pm

That's what I want to know. Why do some people act like it absolutely should NOT happen to their sons? If it's not because they're holding onto some ancient narrow minded homophobic paranoid idea that playing with dolls and such will turn little Johnny queer, then what is it?

'Boys and girls are not equal' isn't good enough. 'If he wanted to wear a dress, would you approve that too?' isn't good enough. There has to be an ACTUAL reason, some actual THREAT of what will happen to the little boy if he plays with girls' toys for some people to be so deathly opposed to it. Otherwise, why let girls play with boys' stuff? After all, isn't that going to make little Jenny grow up to be butch and wear flannel and play softball if playing with Barbies foreshadows Johnny's coming out party?
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with boys playing with girls' toys?   What's wrong with boys playing with girls' toys? EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 8:04 pm

What's wrong with boys playing with girls' toys? 136616
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with boys playing with girls' toys?   What's wrong with boys playing with girls' toys? EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 8:56 pm

Supernova wrote:
That's what I want to know. Why do some people act like it absolutely should NOT happen to their sons? If it's not because they're holding onto some ancient narrow minded homophobic paranoid idea that playing with dolls and such will turn little Johnny queer, then what is it?

'Boys and girls are not equal' isn't good enough. '

They're not the same. And in a lot of ways, are NOT equal. For somebody on here getting mad over a damn Barbie.....you seems to play into the traditional belief that when someone says boys and girls aren't equal, that automatically means girls are inferior. Which is not at all what I'm suggesting. We're totally different in more ways that one and that's what society reflects. From clothes, to hair, to shoes, to sports, to toys, to everything. In every aspect. I'm pretty sure you don't want to be a man dear.

If he wanted to wear a dress, would you approve that too?' isn't good enough.

It's the SAME concept. I see you chose to not answer the question and instead deflect it by saying it isn't good enough. Because you know if you did answer the question, honestly, this tirade of yours would be null and void.

There has to be an ACTUAL reason, some actual THREAT of what will happen to the little boy if he plays with girls' toys for some people to be so deathly opposed to it

Dramatics again. Nobody said they were 'deathly opposed' to it. And MY actual reason for me not letting him play with it is because I don't want him to. That's good enough for you?

Otherwise, why let girls play with boys' stuff? After all, isn't that going to make little Jenny grow up to be butch and wear flannel and play softball if playing with Barbies foreshadows Johnny's coming out party?

Dramatics again. It's funny how you came to the conclusion that by someone saying they won't let their son play with Barbie that means they think he would come out gay and that's the sole reason they won't let him play with it. Not the case. It ain't for him. Point blank.
Back to top Go down
JM130ELM
…is Necessary.
…is Necessary.
JM130ELM

Male
Rep : 32

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with boys playing with girls' toys?   What's wrong with boys playing with girls' toys? EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 1:29 am

Kids use their toys to fantasize and often times will embody that character. Boys fantasize about being GI Joe. Girls fantasize about being Barbie. If a little boy wants to play with a Barbie doll, the chances that he may be envisioning himself in her place are too good. See where I'm going? Furthermore if you let a boy get comfortable playing with "girls' toys" at home, chances are he will wanna do it outside the house too. Schools and playgrounds can be very harsh places when the other little boys finds out that little Joey like Ballerina Barbie. If I had a son I'd be a-ok with him not being into alpha-male action figures and such. If he'd rather play with nuetral things like Play Doh, Legos and electronics instead, then that's cool. But he's not getting a Barbie doll for Christmas. That's out.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with boys playing with girls' toys?   What's wrong with boys playing with girls' toys? EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 1:38 am

What I find funny is everybody brings up BARBIE dolls...'other dolls are okay but no Barbies'. Okay, what about the Bratz dolls, and the Pussycat dolls? Are those okay or are they out too? Because if it was my kids, all of those would be OUT, the only dolls I think I'd have with my kids would be the ones like they stand on their head and do somersaults and that kind of stuff.
Back to top Go down
JM130ELM
…is Necessary.
…is Necessary.
JM130ELM

Male

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with boys playing with girls' toys?   What's wrong with boys playing with girls' toys? EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 1:45 am

Supernova wrote:
What I find funny is everybody brings up BARBIE dolls...'other dolls are okay but no Barbies'. Okay, what about the Bratz dolls, and the Pussycat dolls? Are those okay or are they out too?

No. For intents and purposes, they're the same thing. I only said Barbie because it was the example previously used and because she is the grand dame of girls toys. There's a reason why these things are marketed to one demographic (sex/gender) over the other. Any doll or toy that is marketed specifically to little girls and personifies the image or fantasy of a girls life isn't suitable for a boy to play with IMO.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with boys playing with girls' toys?   What's wrong with boys playing with girls' toys? EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 1:57 am

So by that logic are Batman toys suitable for girls to play with? You know, Batman, Robin, Joker, all men, not much room for girls there, and what about soldier dolls? It's not like you see a GI Jane line coming out for Christmas at Toys R Us. And for that matter, what about toy guns that aren't specifically painted pink for little girls? I mean where is the line drawn? And WHY are boys' things more tolerated with girls using them than the other way around?

And is it just limited to toys? Or what about children's books, should boys be forbidden from reading Nancy Drew and girls from the Hardy Boys (even though girls made a large pecentage of the HB readers during their original run in the 20s and 30s and thus Nancy Drew was spawned for them)? And what about movies? I mean you have the Goonies, you have Dennis the Menace, all these with guys up front, doing everything, what do the girls have in comparison? Barbie movies? Where's the barf icon, I could sure use that here...or My Little Pony movies? About the only reason I COULD see for not wanting boys to take an interest in girls' things is that generally, girls' toys suck, the boys' stuff is what's actually made to be fun and exciting. That said, if a boy takes an interest in a girls' toys, he must be able to see something good in it that most people, fellow girls and women included, overlook and can't see.
Back to top Go down
JM130ELM
…is Necessary.
…is Necessary.
JM130ELM

Male

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with boys playing with girls' toys?   What's wrong with boys playing with girls' toys? EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 2:04 am

Supernova wrote:
And WHY are boys' things more tolerated with girls using them than the other way around?

It's more tolerated because an 8 year old girl is more likely to eventually grow out of her Tonka truck tom-boy phase than an 8 year old boy who wants a makeup kit.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with boys playing with girls' toys?   What's wrong with boys playing with girls' toys? EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 2:48 am

JM130ELM wrote:

It's more tolerated because an 8 year old girl is more likely to eventually grow out of her Tonka truck tom-boy phase than an 8 year old boy who wants a makeup kit.

According to whom? When my nephews were 8 and 9, they wanted me to paint their nails, they wanted to wear dresses, one of them dressed up as a girl for Halloween a couple of times, and now both of them are fighting over the same girl to take to the school dance.
Back to top Go down
RobbieFTW
…is Being Fitted For a Crown.
…is Being Fitted For a Crown.
RobbieFTW

Male
Rep : 145

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with boys playing with girls' toys?   What's wrong with boys playing with girls' toys? EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 7:58 am

JM130ELM wrote:
Kids use their toys to fantasize and often times will embody that character. Boys fantasize about being GI Joe. Girls fantasize about being Barbie. If a little boy wants to play with a Barbie doll, the chances that he may be envisioning himself in her place are too good. See where I'm going? Furthermore if you let a boy get comfortable playing with "girls' toys" at home, chances are he will wanna do it outside the house too. Schools and playgrounds can be very harsh places when the other little boys finds out that little Joey like Ballerina Barbie. If I had a son I'd be a-ok with him not being into alpha-male action figures and such. If he'd rather play with nuetral things like Play Doh, Legos and electronics instead, then that's cool. But he's not getting a Barbie doll for Christmas. That's out.

I would instill in my son that it was ok (actually GREAT) for him to be his own person and to not care what other people say about his tastes and interests. I would rather he be his own person than a sheep. IMO
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with boys playing with girls' toys?   What's wrong with boys playing with girls' toys? EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 10:13 am

RobbieFTW wrote:

I would instill in my son that it was ok (actually GREAT) for him to be his own person and to not care what other people say about his tastes and interests. I would rather he be his own person than a sheep. IMO

Indeeeeeed, the whole thing just sounds to me like these people are SO afraid of what the neighbors might say if they found out little Johnny likes dolls or the color pink. I mean for these people going on about 'it's just NOT right', 'it's not how boys are supposed to be', could any of them honestly say that how people will talk about the kid, and them and their choice of parenting, has absolutely NO factor in their opinion about it?
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with boys playing with girls' toys?   What's wrong with boys playing with girls' toys? EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 6:38 pm

JM130ELM wrote:

THANK YOU! And if certain people knew any better....all TOYS are not solely male or female. There are plenty of unisex toys out there children play with. And knowing me, I wouldn't even buy the typical 'male' or 'female' toys for any of my kids unless they insisted on it. I would buy them puzzles and other educational games. Surely there can't be an outrage against that huh?
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with boys playing with girls' toys?   What's wrong with boys playing with girls' toys? EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 6:41 pm

Supernova wrote:
So by that logic are Batman toys suitable for girls to play with? You know, Batman, Robin, Joker, all men, not much room for girls there, and what about soldier dolls? It's not like you see a GI Jane line coming out for Christmas at Toys R Us. And for that matter, what about toy guns that aren't specifically painted pink for little girls? I mean where is the line drawn? And WHY are boys' things more tolerated with girls using them than the other way around?

And is it just limited to toys? Or what about children's books, should boys be forbidden from reading Nancy Drew and girls from the Hardy Boys (even though girls made a large pecentage of the HB readers during their original run in the 20s and 30s and thus Nancy Drew was spawned for them)? And what about movies? I mean you have the Goonies, you have Dennis the Menace, all these with guys up front, doing everything, what do the girls have in comparison? Barbie movies? Where's the barf icon, I could sure use that here...or My Little Pony movies? About the only reason I COULD see for not wanting boys to take an interest in girls' things is that generally, girls' toys suck, the boys' stuff is what's actually made to be fun and exciting. That said, if a boy takes an interest in a girls' toys, he must be able to see something good in it that most people, fellow girls and women included, overlook and can't see.

(shaking my head) What's wrong with boys playing with girls' toys? 837299
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with boys playing with girls' toys?   What's wrong with boys playing with girls' toys? EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 6:47 pm

Supernova wrote:

Indeeeeeed, the whole thing just sounds to me like these people are SO afraid of what the neighbors might say if they found out little Johnny likes dolls or the color pink. I mean for these people going on about 'it's just NOT right', 'it's not how boys are supposed to be', could any of them honestly say that how people will talk about the kid, and them and their choice of parenting, has absolutely NO factor in their opinion about it?

Yes, I can honestly say it has NO factor in my opinion at all. Cause I already don't give a fuck if you don't like the fact that I would not let my son play with a Barbie doll so I already don't care how people would question my parenting skills, lol. I'm raising my son. Not you. Now how bout you answer the question like I said earlier: Would you let your son wear a dress to school? Or I got an even better one.....how bout wearing a dress to church? Ponder it, come back and asked tha
t same question.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with boys playing with girls' toys?   What's wrong with boys playing with girls' toys? Empty

Back to top Go down

What's wrong with boys playing with girls' toys?
Page 1 of 1