CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+10
RedBedroom
Marc™
Rule Breaker
AtownPeep
Tony Marino
Nystyle709
RiteDiva
Dan70
Chris
SkwirtB
14 posters

If you had twins, would you give them similar names?

SkwirtB
    SkwirtB
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 6

If you had twins, would you give them similar names? Empty If you had twins, would you

Post by SkwirtB Tue May 18, 2010 5:14 pm

Dress them alike, rhyme their names and buy them all the same toys? Asking this because today at work this lady comes in with a pair of twin boys who were about five or six and they were wearing exactly the same outfit. I'm thinking damn, that's kinda "tacky".

If I had identical twins, I would still try and encourage them to be as much their own individual persona as possible!
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

If you had twins, would you give them similar names? Empty Re: If you had twins, would you give them similar names?

Post by Chris Tue May 18, 2010 9:44 pm

If I ever become the father of twins, no I wouldn't be for giving them rhyming names; I agree that that can be tacky. Identical twins, for all intents and purposes, though are essentially the same person in many ways, so I have to wonder how effective deliberately trying to give them their own "separate" style and individuality would be. I would imagine that they wind up gravitating toward the same things, at least as far as clothes and leisure items go.
    Dan70
    Dan70
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 6

If you had twins, would you give them similar names? Empty Re: If you had twins, would you give them similar names?

Post by Dan70 Tue May 18, 2010 11:26 pm

They can be named Frick and Frack for all I care. If I ever had twins, I would be too in awe over how my powerful sperm was enough to crack the egg in two. hehe
    RiteDiva
    RiteDiva
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 8

Post by RiteDiva Wed May 19, 2010 12:10 am

Chris wrote:If I ever become the father of twins, no I wouldn't be for giving them rhyming names; I agree that that can be tacky. Identical twins, for all intents and purposes, though are essentially the same person in many ways, so I have to wonder how effective deliberately trying to give them their own "separate" style and individuality would be. I would imagine that they wind up gravitating toward the same things, at least as far as clothes and leisure items go.

I think some of that has to do with conditioning though. My 2nd cousin has 18 month old twin girls (Sharnae and Shardae) and dresses them alike all the time. At that age, they don't know. The family is conditioning them to be damn near one and the same. I can see buying the same sets of toys just to prevent fighting over them, but they don't need to be dressing alike. That's just mothers thinking it's cute to have these mirror images being mirror images and it's something I wouldn't do.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed May 19, 2010 6:11 am

People are reading too much into it. To me, it's okay to dress twins alike, match or rhyme their names, etc especially when they are younger because at the end of the day, they're still two separate people and as they get older will start to develop their own identity. Twins kinda run in my family, my mother has twin sisters, one of the twin sisters has twin daughters, and I have twin cousins named after me. And as adults, the twins in my family can't be any more different from each other. If I had twins, I'd definitely dress them alike but I'd just have them in different colors. When they say they don't want to do it anymore, then I'd stop.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Wed May 19, 2010 10:51 am

Dan wrote:They can be named Frick and Frack for all I care. If I ever had twins, I would be too in awe over how my powerful sperm was enough to crack the egg in two. hehe

LOL touche my man!
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Wed May 19, 2010 10:53 am

That is just plain tacky rhyming names and dressing alike, I would not do that at all. I would have them tatooed so I would know who is who. Smile
    AtownPeep
    AtownPeep
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 39

Post by AtownPeep Wed May 19, 2010 10:23 pm

The name thing is questionable, but I probably would dress them alike if they were the same size. Just more convenient to grab two sets of the same thing than trying to mix it up. As mentioned already, identical twins are likely to have the exact same tastes anyway, so why bother trying to force a style difference.
    Rule Breaker
    Rule Breaker
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 0

Post by Rule Breaker Fri May 21, 2010 1:14 am

I dunno I think the novelty of twins just makes people wanna be as cute with them as possible. I think its more a "mom" thing to rhyme the names and to dress them identically. Most fathers probably don't care either way about that sort of thing. I probably would just go with the flow. I wouldnt be hellbent on making them look like mirror images of each other but if their mother was into it, I would let her have her fun.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Fri May 21, 2010 1:31 pm

I have twins, but they are a boy and girl. So no matching outfits. The only twin cliche they have is both their names starting with the same letter.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Fri May 21, 2010 10:34 pm

I don't think I would dress them alike, if they were the same sex. I would have one wardrobe for both and they would share. Then, when they got older, I would let them choose their own clothes and that would be that.

Funny story about this. I know somoene who, during her residency at a hospital, met a woman with twins. Orangelo and Jelangelo....she craved Jello during her pregnancy. That is just nutty.
    Wadsworth
    Wadsworth
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Male
    Rep : 16

Post by Wadsworth Sat May 22, 2010 10:20 am

I wouldn't be with the dressing them alike except for maybe on special occasions. They already gonna be enough alike by nature I don't think its that necessary to force it even more. If I had twins I would try and get them to know that they ain't some 2 headed monster and could actually be their own person anyway.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Sat May 22, 2010 10:45 am

Then I guess I would just be a stereotype, because if I ever had twins I would definitely do all of those "tacky" things. I already have their names picked out. If they were boys (which I would prefer with twins) they'd be named Aaron and Jaron, if they were girls they'd be Malina and Tina.
    AtownPeep
    AtownPeep
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 39

Post by AtownPeep Sun May 23, 2010 4:50 pm

CatEyes10736 wrote:Then I guess I would just be a stereotype, because if I ever had twins I would definitely do all of those "tacky" things. I already have their names picked out. If they were boys (which I would prefer with twins) they'd be named Aaron and Jaron, if they were girls they'd be Malina and Tina.

Girl you sound like you might be one of us...
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

If you had twins, would you give them similar names? Empty If you had twins, would you give them similar names?

Post by Supernova Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:19 am

I HATE when parents do that, don't you? It's bad enough when they dress the two alike, but to give them similar names...what point in giving them each the same identity as much as possible? Like Shae and Shane, or Dennis and Denise, or Jamie and Janey, you know? What's the point in that? They are two completely different people, they deserve two completely different names.

We were watching Freaks the other night and anybody who's seen it remembers the Siamese twins, Violet and Daisy Hilton, and my mother said 'you'd think their parents would give them rhyming names', and I'm thinking, why? They're already stuck sharing two bodies stuck essentially as one person, why should their identites be made similar as well? They're both named after flowers, that's not enough?
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:35 am

* merged * Smile
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:55 am

I can't see myself with twins but if I did I would probably be delirious enough to go along with actually rhyming names and dress them alike.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:25 am

No I would not give them rhyming names nor would I dress them alike.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 21, 2024 8:25 pm