CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
Supernova
Forgiveness Man
6 posters

Hypothetical Question

Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Hypothetical Question Empty Hypothetical Question

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:29 pm

Okay, I had this scenario in one of my novels. Leaving out the dramatic circumstances which will likely only complicate the matter, I'll simplify the dilemma to it's main points.

Would you choose to die with your only child to avoid witnessing their brutal murder? (Clarification: You have no significant other so this child is basically your whole world.) In other words, your child is going to be murdered each way and you are helpless to stop them. So the question is, if given the choice, would you choose to die with them or bear witness to their murder and have to live with the pain from that?

Yes, this is a twisted question but I'm curious as to what kinds of responses I'd get if I presented this hypothetical to people. Now let's try to avoid explaining ways to avoid both since that would dodge the issue. Wink I am curious what the answers will be like.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Hypothetical Question Empty Re: Hypothetical Question

Post by Supernova Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:31 pm

Now that's a tough one...but, cold as it may sound, I think I'd choose to live and bear witness to it. I really can't imagine ANYBODY, even my own child's, death being so awful I'd choose to die alongside them.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:30 am

Interesting.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:03 am

I would choose to die with my child, I don't think I could live the rest of my life knowing that I witnessed their murder and could do nothing to stop it. The pain would end eventually but the nightmares would not.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:27 pm

Hate the scenario, but yes, I'd die with my child. I couldn't witness that and continue to live on.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:28 pm

1 from each side. Interesting.

Edit: Chris musta just posted after me. FORGIVENESS MAN You're not supposed to like the scenario. Wink (Although I DID simplify it from what it originally was)
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:26 pm

I would die trying to prevent her murder and if that wasn't possible I wouldn't give the mother fucker any choice but to kill me next.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:25 am

I was not going to answer this question. And would not have if not it be a part of something you are working on or whatever.

I think, in general, it isn't very marketable to put anything out there that a parent has to make such a choice, or to ever hypothesize it.

If you think that a book or screen play you want to pen will include this, just know that parents don't like to think about it.

I am not an authority on all genres, so maybe there is a market for such. And you have had replies on this thread, but as a parent, I would never even give two cents on it.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:32 am

RedBedroom wrote:I was not going to answer this question. And would not have if not it be a part of something you are working on or whatever.

I think, in general, it isn't very marketable to put anything out there that a parent has to make such a choice, or to ever hypothesize it.

If you think that a book or screen play you want to pen will include this, just know that parents don't like to think about it.

I am not an authority on all genres, so maybe there is a market for such. And you have had replies on this thread, but as a parent, I would never even give two cents on it.
    Well, I like to make people think. Sometimes you can't always play it safe with stories and you need to use them to challenge people with uncomfortable questions. Books, shows, and movies do that all the time, or at least attempt to; so I don't really feel merely ASKING the question is all that bad. But of course, I am not THAT dumb. I did let the book take the Hollywood safety exit. I wanna make people think; not crush their souls completely. So parents can breathe a sigh of relief. Wink (Hence why I didn't provide the confusing specifics of the situation)

I also do not really believe that my market is parents right now, although if Criminal Minds can get 13 million weekly viewers, I am not convinced that people avoid crime stories like the plague. I am sorry you felt the idea not a good one. And the entire story is not focused around that idea. It's merely an issue raised in the climax that I let resolve itself in a way I feel will be satisfying to most of the audience. Sometimes you just gotta do something to push the envelope just a little bit in order to set yourself apart from the pack playing it totally safe.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:04 am

FM, sorry to you. My post was harsh. I really didn't mean it to read as such, but just read it over again, and it was. I appreciate your very articulate response.

All I was getting at is that I feel that for the general masses of parents, we don't enjoy any scenarios like that played out in books or film. And I am at the total side of the masses that worries so much that I would turn ER off if I saw a young boy on screen because, as momma to a son, I did not want to risk seeing a situation that a little boy was in peril. So, I am so very overly cautious.

But, you seem to have some very thought provoking ideas and if there is a real market for it, then more power to you. Again, sorry that I was too dismissive.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:45 am

RedBedroom wrote:FM, sorry to you. My post was harsh. I really didn't mean it to read as such, but just read it over again, and it was. I appreciate your very articulate response.

All I was getting at is that I feel that for the general masses of parents, we don't enjoy any scenarios like that played out in books or film. And I am at the total side of the masses that worries so much that I would turn ER off if I saw a young boy on screen because, as momma to a son, I did not want to risk seeing a situation that a little boy was in peril. So, I am so very overly cautious.

But, you seem to have some very thought provoking ideas and if there is a real market for it, then more power to you. Again, sorry that I was too dismissive.
    I've seen harsher here. Wink But thank you. Smile

Well, ER lasted quite a long while. I think almost every show would be satisfied if they had even half of ER's run. They must've done something right. lol

I totally understand and I totally get you. A lot of the market seems to agree, even the most gruesome of shows like Criminal Minds go out of their way to avoid things like that. Kids in peril may be common but it's pretty much a given that any child in peril on TV will be rescued 99% of the time, which is fine as it probably does serve the show best.(Unless the child is THE psychopath. FORGIVENESS MAN) So I think since it's become a given that the kid will survive, children in peril won't turn off the masses of parents because it's become almost a given that it will resolve itself happily.

IDK if there is or isn't a market for my writing or if I have the skills to articulate my ideas enough. I guess we'll see one day. I got novels "completed"(meaning I still gotta go through the butchering process known as revision) so we'll see if I can do something. But thanks. I do try to be thought provoking in the books, sometimes. I think the market I am trying to reach is not some sick market who gets off on kids on peril and more those simply one that can appreciate family fighting tragedy to stay together. But I do understand and respect your views, and I realize that not everybody is going to like my stuff.(And that many will hate it) But if I played it safe, I don't think I'd be able to set myself apart from the pack at all.

But thanks for your advice. And I guess I should get back to the hypothetical in case somebody else wants to answer. FORGIVENESS MAN (And as for how this scenario plays out in the book, I am sure the masses of parents will be okay with it. It's the people who want unhappy endings in stories(boy do they exist in droves) that might think I took the easy way out but that's just tough for them. Razz )

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 4:39 am