Parents Want Anti-Bullying Film Removed From Curriculum Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Parents Want Anti-Bullying Film Removed From Curriculum

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

Parents Want Anti-Bullying Film Removed From Curriculum Empty
PostSubject: Parents Want Anti-Bullying Film Removed From Curriculum   Parents Want Anti-Bullying Film Removed From Curriculum EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 7:57 pm

Quote :
Posted on Advocate.com November 23, 2010
By Advocate.com Editors

Parents Want Anti-Bullying Film Removed From Curriculum FAMILY

Backlash from parents threatens the future of a film with a clear anti-bullying message in Vallejo, CA schools, according to the Contra Costa Times.

That’s A Family, which is screened regularly in the district as part of a settlement with the ACLU over the unfair treatment of an out lesbian student, depicts a handful of atypical family configurations, including a family with biracial parents, a family headed up by grandparents and families with gay and lesbian parents.

Disgruntled parents say that the film focuses disproportionately on the bullying of the child with gay parents, but the filmmaker defended her choices regarding the allocation of screen time.

"The whole film is 35 minutes, and I believe the section on lesbian and gays is something between seven or eight minutes. The rest of the film is featuring heterosexual guardians and parents," Academy Award-winning director Debra Chasnoff said. "We have seen this kind of reaction in other communities at different times, and I think it's because it is relatively new that schools would take the initiative to proactively prevent anti-gay bias."
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Parents Want Anti-Bullying Film Removed From Curriculum   Parents Want Anti-Bullying Film Removed From Curriculum EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 8:07 pm

*sighs I take issue with both sides honestly. xD
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: Parents Want Anti-Bullying Film Removed From Curriculum   Parents Want Anti-Bullying Film Removed From Curriculum EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 9:35 pm

I don't agree with the parents taking issue. As pointed out, only 7-8 minutes are dedicated to that, when the whole film is 35 minutes.
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male

PostSubject: Re: Parents Want Anti-Bullying Film Removed From Curriculum   Parents Want Anti-Bullying Film Removed From Curriculum EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 9:49 pm

RedBedroom wrote:
I don't agree with the parents taking issue. As pointed out, only 7-8 minutes are dedicated to that, when the whole film is 35 minutes.
I honestly think the entire idea of showing a film is dumb. I've yet to be convinced that silly little films really do anything more than give kids some time where they aren't doing school work. If they wanna stop bullying, they actually gotta work to stop it. I think films really just make them feel like they're doing more than they are. But that's just me.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: Parents Want Anti-Bullying Film Removed From Curriculum   Parents Want Anti-Bullying Film Removed From Curriculum EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 9:51 pm

I tend to agree with you that most films shown in schools don't make a big impact. But, some are well made so I have to give this one the benefit of the doubt without having seen it.
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male

PostSubject: Re: Parents Want Anti-Bullying Film Removed From Curriculum   Parents Want Anti-Bullying Film Removed From Curriculum EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 9:53 pm

RedBedroom wrote:
I tend to agree with you that most films shown in schools don't make a big impact. But, some are well made so I have to give this one the benefit of the doubt without having seen it.

I am sure many are well-made and would make for some thought provoking time for SOME kids. The problem is that the kids likely moved by these films aren't typically the types they are speaking to. At best, they might make a few kids stand up for a bullied kid. But I honestly don't see bullies being effected by them. Why would they be?
Back to top Go down
RobbieFTW
…is Being Fitted For a Crown.
…is Being Fitted For a Crown.
RobbieFTW

Male
Rep : 145

PostSubject: Re: Parents Want Anti-Bullying Film Removed From Curriculum   Parents Want Anti-Bullying Film Removed From Curriculum EmptySat Nov 27, 2010 1:00 pm

Of course they want it removed. . .

. . .until one of their own children commits suicide because of the peer bullying, and then they'll be screaming at the education system for not doing anything to educate their school friends.
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male

PostSubject: Re: Parents Want Anti-Bullying Film Removed From Curriculum   Parents Want Anti-Bullying Film Removed From Curriculum EmptySat Nov 27, 2010 1:25 pm

Doing something about bullying means more than showing a cheesy and cliche movie.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Parents Want Anti-Bullying Film Removed From Curriculum   Parents Want Anti-Bullying Film Removed From Curriculum Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1