Double Standards & Sexism Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Double Standards & Sexism

Go down 
+4
Tony Marino
Shale
Supernova
DarkOblivion
8 posters
AuthorMessage
DarkOblivion
…is a Newbie.
…is a Newbie.
DarkOblivion

Male
Rep : 4

Double Standards & Sexism Empty
PostSubject: Double Standards & Sexism   Double Standards & Sexism EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 4:56 am

If women want to be treated and seen as equals to men, then why are there so many old time traditions still in play (that many women support) from the era of male dominance that contradict the idea of total equality?A man isn't supposed to hit a woman (even in self defense).Men are still supposed to open doors for women.Men are still supposed to court and pursue.Men are still supposed to pay for dates.A man is still supposed to let women (and children) escape to safety first.No matter what kind of woman a female wants to be (traditional or modern) a man is still expected to be a gentleman and put her on a pedestal like in the old days, but can't at the same time think of or treat her as "less than" like was also the case back then.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: Double Standards & Sexism   Double Standards & Sexism EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 11:26 am

Men and women are supposed to open doors for everybody, that's just common sense. Court and pursue, what the hell is that even? And in regards to paying, there's going Dutch, or, one person pays one time, then the other the next. Children should always be allowed to get to safety first but somebody has to go with them, and I think society is just still bent on the view of women as the primary caregivers. You would think they would send men along WITH the women and children incase something should happen and they were needed, but the problem is depending on the situation, everybody can't go first.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Double Standards & Sexism   Double Standards & Sexism EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 11:59 am

I'm from the iconoclast generation that threw out all those archaic rules. We didn't date, just hooked up and the woman could call it as well as the man. When I was a young man I did date a woman olde enuf to be my mother and she slipped me money under the table to pay for it. So, maturity not gender was the deciding factor. Now when I go out with a young man I pay for the meal. (Not a date - usually after we've had sex)

Courtesy is courtesy when it comes to opening doors for others or showing self-sacrifice in emergencies. In other words, those old rules were ideations that didn't hold water even in the turn of the 20th century. Look at the stats on the Titanic sinking to get an idea how "chilvalry" played out.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: Double Standards & Sexism   Double Standards & Sexism EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 12:52 pm

Shale wrote:

Courtesy is courtesy when it comes to opening doors for others or showing self-sacrifice in emergencies. In other words, those old rules were ideations that didn't hold water even in the turn of the 20th century. Look at the stats on the Titanic sinking to get an idea how "chilvalry" played out.

That doesn't have so much to do with chivalry as with poor planning on the part of whoever made the ship, because you have the largest ship in the world and ONLY 20 lifeboats because you think it's unsinkable and they won't be necessary?
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

PostSubject: Re: Double Standards & Sexism   Double Standards & Sexism EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 1:00 pm

Chivalry is not dead for me when it comes to women, I enjoy holding doors open, pulling out chairs for them to sit, letting them in the elevator first, giving up my seat on a train, opening the car door and extending a hand to help her out. These are things that I was taught growing up and seeing a woman smile for me being courteous brightens the day for me. I know I am a sap but what can I say, thats me.
Back to top Go down
Marc™
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
Marc™

Male
Rep : 212

PostSubject: Re: Double Standards & Sexism   Double Standards & Sexism EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 2:23 pm

Blanche on Golden Girls said once that women don't wanna be treated equally to men, they wanna be treated better. She was basically right.

I'll hold the door, let them on/off elevators first....no harm.

Opening car doors, pulling out chairs, and helping her with her coat....eh, I don't know who told you I was your servant, but maybe....

Giving up my seat on the bus? Man she better be pregnant (or old.) If she as healthy as I am, she can stand her ass up....I was there first. Razz
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Double Standards & Sexism   Double Standards & Sexism EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 5:23 pm

Dark Oblivion wrote:
If women want to be treated and seen as equals to men, then why are there so many old time traditions still in play (that many women support) from the era of male dominance that contradict the idea of total equality?A man isn't supposed to hit a woman (even in self defense).Men are still supposed to open doors for women.Men are still supposed to court and pursue.Men are still supposed to pay for dates.A man is still supposed to let women (and children) escape to safety first.No matter what kind of woman a female wants to be (traditional or modern) a man is still expected to be a gentleman and put her on a pedestal like in the old days, but can't at the same time think of or treat her as "less than" like was also the case back then.
ITA and I see what you mean. It is a double standard. Clearly all people should be courteous to one another but they should be equally courteous, and that includes women to men.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Double Standards & Sexism   Double Standards & Sexism EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 7:10 pm

Marc™ wrote:
Giving up my seat on the bus? Man she better be pregnant (or old.) If she as healthy as I am, she can stand her ass up....I was there first. Razz

LOL, for the most part. I feel that anybody should give up their seat if they see a pregnant woman especially though. I remember being on the train or the bus and seeing a pregnant woman and no one would offer her their seat. And it would be a bunch of grown ass men just sitting there and not caring. I find it despicable. I got up and gave my seat to her.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Double Standards & Sexism   Double Standards & Sexism EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 8:38 pm

Shale wrote:

... Look at the stats on the Titanic sinking to get an idea how "chilvalry" played out.
Supernova wrote:

That doesn't have so much to do with chivalry as with poor planning on the part of whoever made the ship, because you have the largest ship in the world and ONLY 20 lifeboats because you think it's unsinkable and they won't be necessary?
Oops! My point was going to be that according to the chivalry of the day those 20 lifeboats should have had just women and children in them. I thot a lot of the guys pushed their way onto the boats, but actually there was the chivalry of the day and the boats went with mostly women and children and mostly men went down with the ship.

Last edited by Shale on Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MandyPerfumeGirl
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
MandyPerfumeGirl

Female
Rep : 26

PostSubject: Re: Double Standards & Sexism   Double Standards & Sexism EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 11:32 pm

Dark Oblivion wrote:

Hey, that's the way it is! This is the way men should treat women, end of story. Chivalry should never be dead. Most times a man does have to put a woman on a pedestal - that's the way it should be. And I agree with Marc 100% (I remember that episode you're talking about, lol), we (us women) do wanted to be treated better, like we're something special. It may contradict total equality, but, oh well, that's life. Women have been denied total equality for centuries, so live with it. It's our turn for for a little luxury - whether fair or not.
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Double Standards & Sexism   Double Standards & Sexism EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 1:59 pm

MandyPerfumeGirl wrote:

Hey, that's the way it is! This is the way men should treat women, end of story.
Why? If women want to be treated equally, then they shouldn't expected to be treated better than another man. We can't have putting women on a pedestal and at the same time seeing and treating them as equals. If we want equality, fine. But that means that the woman should be equally as "pedestal placing" or men as she expects men to be of her.
Back to top Go down

Double Standards & Sexism
Page 1 of 1