CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
TSJFan4Ever
CatEyes10736
Shale
MandyPerfumeGirl
Impact
Alan Smithee
Chris
11 posters

World AIDS Day

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

World AIDS Day Empty World AIDS Day

Post by Chris Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:16 pm

World AIDS Day World-aids-day-2010

Hey everyone, today is World AIDS Day.

Next year (2011) will mark the 30th anniversary since the first AIDS diagnosis back in 1981. In the time since, we've lost near countless millions of people to the disease and millions more are living with it. Has this disease affected you in any way personally? Have you known anyone infected, or who has sadly died from complications related to it?

Do you believe–as many do–that the Reagan administration saw AIDS as a divine intervention, and were content to let the disease wipe out those who they deemed were 'undesirables?'
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

World AIDS Day Empty Re: World AIDS Day

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:20 pm

My brother in law was diagnosed HIV positive a number of years ago. So far so good.
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:35 pm

Chris wrote:Do you believe–as many do–that the Reagan administration saw AIDS as a divine intervention, and were content to let the disease wipe out those who they deemed were 'undesirables?'

Pretty much. Reagan reacted to the onslaught of AIDS with extreme apathy, and a shrug. He (like any Republican) couldn't care less about a plague that hindered "undesirables" like homosexuals, intravenous drug users, the poorer class, or anybody who didn't vote for him. Reagen had AIDS, twenty-something years later his vice presidents son had Katrina.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:12 pm

alan smithee wrote:My brother in law was diagnosed HIV positive a number of years ago. So far so good.

Yeah, something to be cheery about.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:17 pm

Chris wrote:World AIDS Day World-aids-day-2010

Hey everyone, today is World AIDS Day.

Next year (2011) will mark the 30th anniversary since the first AIDS diagnosis back in 1981. In the time since, we've lost near countless millions of people to the disease and millions more are living with it. Has this disease affected you in any way personally? Have you known anyone infected, or who has sadly died from complications related to it?

Do you believe–as many do–that the Reagan administration saw AIDS as a divine intervention, and were content to let the disease wipe out those who they deemed were 'undesirables?'

The disease has never affected me personally and I've never known anyone who has suffered from it or died from it. What a terror that would be to go through and to watch.

To answer your other question, I believe that's absolutely what Reagan thought. Reagan was an idiot. At the time it mostly infected gay men and drug addicts, so it didn't matter to him. Reagan didn't speak publicly about it until 1985. That's despicable. An absolutely despicable president, one of the worst.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:02 am

December First
    World AIDS Day

We Remember

World AIDS Day, a day to remember friends lost to this scourge and to renew efforts to contain the disease which is still here, still has no cure and still takes lives.

Some of us remember when there was no AIDS. Some of us remember when the mysterious killer first emerged, still remember the fear of an unknown killer and the discrimination borne of ignorance. I remember many fallen friends, five of which I have fotos to show here.

Randy

Worked at the North Central Florida AIDS Network where I came to know and befriend him.

Julio

An artist on Miami Beach, whose work I admired in the 1980s and who I befriended before he died in the 1990s.

Mark

A friend I met at Body Positive Resource Center where I massaged his buff bod, then watched him waste before he died in the early 2000s.

Terry

A patient at Jackson when I met him, then a friend of me and my wife with whom we visited on Miami Beach. I lost track of Terry when we moved away in 1991, but indications are that he has died.

Jose

A nudist friend whom I often saw on Haulover Beach and visited in his Coconut Grove home. He was always full of cheer and funny.

CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:24 am

I just can't believe that after all this time, there hasn't been medical advances to this killer that would allow people to be able to go into remission, like with certain cancers.

Every few years some news report announces an advancement on treatments that would allows people with HIV to live longer or some vaccine that could severely lessen their potential for the disease to ever spread to full blown AIDS, and would simply allow HIV+ people to go on living to old age with it. But in the meantime I think, "Well what about the people who DO have full blown AIDS?" What's being for them? Are scientists ONLY focusing on keeping people who ONLY have HIV alive?

It's always disheartened me when I hear people cynically remark that the medical community doesn't really wanna find a cure for HIV/AIDS because it's a cash cow. Not only is it a cruel, cynical sentiment...but sadly, it makes sense.

TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:26 am

I haven't known anyone personally. I remember AIDS mainly from what I saw on TV - The Ryan White Story, GH (Stone & Robin) and the Degrassi series.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:03 am

MandyPerfumeGirl wrote:

Yeah, something to be cheery about.
    LOL (shaking my head). I HIGHLY doubt being 'cheery' about his brother in law having HIV is something Alan was trying to convey. He meant that his brother in law is, so far, living with the virus and being complication free and living a normal and healthy life with it. Like Magic Johnson.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:07 am

To answer your question Chris, yes I've known something with HIV, yes I've known someone who has died from it and yes, Reagan was an asshole when it came to publicly declaring AIDS an national crisis.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male

Post by Chris Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:15 am

MandyPerfumeGirl wrote:

The disease has never affected me personally and I've never known anyone who has suffered from it or died from it. What a terror that would be to go through and to watch.

To answer your other question, I believe that's absolutely what Reagan thought. Reagan was an idiot. At the time it mostly infected gay men and drug addicts, so it didn't matter to him. Reagan didn't speak publicly about it until 1985. That's despicable. An absolutely despicable president, one of the worst.

Yeah, wasn't until Rock Hudson – who was from Reagen's old Hollywood circle – was diagnosed with AIDS that he finally spoke on it. Although I have to wonder if Hudson's unmasked homosexuality caused any kind of trepidation on his part.

Ronald Reagen's own son called his own father (and administration) out for their apathy towards the 'types' of people AIDS initially afflicted.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:18 am

Because of my involvement with AIDS since the mid '80s, I was drafted by my company to take the training and be the in-house AIDS instructor. In my biz, state law mandates such training for employees; 4-hr initial course and a 2-hr follow up every 2 years.

So the curriculum covers the history when it was first called GRID - Gay Related ImmunoDeficiency since it showed up initially in gay men. Trouble with the latency period of the disease was that before it became known most gay men were affected by it. So gay men are the highest number of infected and take the blame for the disease, despite the fact that it is just a bloodborne pathogen that doesn't care about morality but just method of transmission. (Lesbians are homosexuals too, yet they are less at risk than heterosexual women).

As for treatment, that was 1996, with the introduction of protease inhibitor medications which finally kept the majority of ppl from dying of AIDS. Ppl were literally getting up out of their deathbeds with that breakthru. Not a good course of treatment but better than the alternative. And, I point out some ppl still die of the disease, like my friend Mark who died in 2001.

But before '96 every gay man was inundated with either his own infection or that of his friends and lovers who were dying. That was the face of AIDS in the '80s and the overreacting prejudice of ignorant ppl who refused to believe that it was actually a hard disease to catch, requiring body fluid exchange. I had some trepidation when first volunteering with an AIDS group here in Miami that my boss would react badly. Luckily she was cool and eventually even took in a guy who was dying of the disease.

So, now it seems to be a race among the demographics as to who can make the most new infections, gay men, black/hispanic men, then down to the affected women. But, ppl take stupid chances with sex (I have gone thru the 3-month testing phase myself because of mishaps that could have exposed me. Luckily the exposure was with HIV negative men). A lot of young gay men who did not see everyone in their community dying daily think it is just an inconvenience that you can live with. Again, my friend Mark who died after the protease inhibitor meds were being used.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:55 am

alan smithee wrote:My brother in law was diagnosed HIV positive a number of years ago. So far so good.

I have a friend that was diagnosed about 10 years ago with HIV and he is doing fine.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Glad to hear it Tony. I had to double check with my wife and even she was no longer sure about her brother...at least 10 years. And thanks NYstyle. I read "cheery" too and thought what the fuck?! .
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:12 pm

The ideas about the Reagan administration seems like bitter conspiracy theory and nothing more.

So far, I don't know anybody affected by AIDS in my personal life. I pray for those effected and I do hope to one day see a cure.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male

Post by Chris Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:31 am

Not to make light of the subject, but does anyone have a favorite AIDS movie or TV episode?

A good one was An Early Frost, with Aiden Quinn.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:41 am

And the Band Played On (1993). It's a dramatized account of the discovery of the AIDS epidemic and the political infighting of the scientific community hampering the early fight with it.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male

Post by Chris Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:50 am

alan smithee wrote:And the Band Played On (1993). It's a dramatized account of the discovery of the AIDS epidemic and the political infighting of the scientific community hampering the early fight with it.

I saw And the Band Played On only once, when it originally aired on HBO; I remember it being good though. Was interesting seeing the depiction of the alleged AIDS 'patient zero.' I recall him basically coming off like a flagrant socio-path.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:19 am

Chris wrote:Not to make light of the subject, but does anyone have a favorite AIDS movie or TV episode?

Do television episodes count?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:42 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:Do television episodes count?

Not to make light of the subject, but does anyone have a favorite AIDS movie or TV episode?

I'm going with Yes. Television is no less valid than film.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:43 pm

^^^^^Good to know. FORGIVENESS MAN Wink So yeah, I got my favorite then. FORGIVENESS MAN
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:55 pm

Good to know. FORGIVENESS MAN Wink So yeah, I got my favorite then. FORGIVENESS MAN

Well that's good to know too. Wink
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:15 pm

Chris wrote:Not to make light of the subject, but does anyone have a favorite AIDS movie or TV episode?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 9:27 pm