Restaurants Adding Tip to Bill Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Restaurants Adding Tip to Bill

Go down 
+4
Alan Smithee
Nystyle709
Forgiveness Man
Marc™
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Marc™
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
Marc™

Male
Rep : 212

Restaurants Adding Tip to Bill Empty
PostSubject: Restaurants Adding Tip to Bill   Restaurants Adding Tip to Bill EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 9:41 am

Should it be illegal for restaurants to tack on the tip to the bill?
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Restaurants Adding Tip to Bill   Restaurants Adding Tip to Bill EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 9:45 am

I guess it shouldn't be illegal. It should just be clearly and explicitly stated before you sit down to eat that they have such a policy.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Restaurants Adding Tip to Bill   Restaurants Adding Tip to Bill EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 10:00 am

Forgiveness_Man wrote:
I guess it shouldn't be illegal. It should just be clearly and explicitly stated before you sit down to eat that they have such a policy.

I agree. I remember when I went to this restuarant.....small enough place and very quaint and the food was great. I was planning on leaving nice tip until I got the bill and they'd already tacked the shit on there. $18 for a tip? Are you serious? Needless to say, whenever they pull that shit, they gets nothing extra from me on the table. And I know it's prob. bad for the waiters and waitress because they prob. don't even see the whole gratuity that they tack on. You know the manager and the restuarant is getting a cut from that.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Restaurants Adding Tip to Bill   Restaurants Adding Tip to Bill EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 10:12 am

I don't see this very often and then it's usually for parties over a certain number of people. I'm a generous tipper to begin with so as long as the service was good I don't mind making up the difference. If I was ever in that situation and the service was crappy, I'm calling the manager over and telling them and if they don't like it if I don't pay the full price of their inflated bill, they can call the cops.
Back to top Go down
Impact
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Impact

Male
Rep : 75

PostSubject: Re: Restaurants Adding Tip to Bill   Restaurants Adding Tip to Bill EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 7:37 pm

Just by virtue of the name, a "tip" is supposed to be a gratuity to reward the service worker for a job well done. Factoring into the bill defeats the purpose, and I wouldn't be surprised if even if it were added some waiters would want an additional gratuity as acknowledgment.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: Restaurants Adding Tip to Bill   Restaurants Adding Tip to Bill EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 11:36 pm

I don't think it should be at all. Just today I was waiting at Applebees for my step-daughter and I read a sign that said they tack on 15% for tables over 8. I am torn on that being fine or not. I see the point of it, but I also think that the establishment should be glad that the party of 8 or more chose their place to eat at.
Back to top Go down
TSJFan4Ever
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
TSJFan4Ever

Female
Rep : 78

PostSubject: Re: Restaurants Adding Tip to Bill   Restaurants Adding Tip to Bill EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 11:31 pm

ITA with redbedroom! I'd avoid a place that tacked on a mandatory tip for a party of a certain size. I'd be tempted to break the group up into smaller groups and just sit at tables that are close to each other.
Back to top Go down
captainbryce
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
captainbryce

Male
Rep : 127

PostSubject: Re: Restaurants Adding Tip to Bill   Restaurants Adding Tip to Bill EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 11:40 am

Marc™ wrote:
Should it be illegal for restaurants to tack on the tip to the bill?
Yes. The price of the meal should be the price of the meal. A tip is a decision someone makes "to give a gratuity to a servant or employee" for good service. Neither the restaurant, nor the waiter/waitress deserves any extra money from you beyond the price of the meal UNLESS the customer is satisfied that they do. Having it automatically added to the bill defeats the purpose of tipping in the first place.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Restaurants Adding Tip to Bill   Restaurants Adding Tip to Bill Empty

Back to top Go down

Restaurants Adding Tip to Bill
Page 1 of 1