Workplace drug testing Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Workplace drug testing

Go down 
+4
Alan Smithee
Supernova
Shale
Chris
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

Workplace drug testing Empty
PostSubject: Workplace drug testing   Workplace drug testing EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 12:04 pm

In your opinion, is random and/or mandatory drug testing in the workplace an invasion of privacy? Should employees be able to legally refuse and retain their jobs?
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Workplace drug testing   Workplace drug testing EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 12:57 pm

Yes it is a big invasion of privacy. Of course it is legal for private companies to do it, because it is an agreement to work there. The gov't can't force it (except in case of liability for an accident) because it violates our right to "be secure in our person."

Still, I can go out and get drunk out of my mind and show up with a hangover but sober to work and it is OK. But, if I smoke some grass on the weekend and am not stoned after a few hours the THC still shows in the body and I could lose my job if tested. Or take the out - go to counseling (brainwashing) confess my sins and get absolved. Sorta like the inquisition days.

BTW, even if I didn't smoke and hung out with stoners, the THC would show up in a test.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: Workplace drug testing   Workplace drug testing EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 1:27 pm

Obviously if you have a job like jet pilot or doctor or something like that, it WOULD be vital that you are clean for that kind of work, but to just work as a cashier or a waiter or a dishwasher, something that doesn't have the fate of a life hanging in the balance, I don't think it should be mandatory.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Workplace drug testing   Workplace drug testing EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 2:29 pm

Shale wrote:
...confess my sins and get absolved. Sorta like the inquisition days.

I'd rather just lose my job than be absolved al la the Inquisition. Even if I confess, I'm still getting "fired" Wink
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male

PostSubject: Re: Workplace drug testing   Workplace drug testing EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 4:10 pm

alan smithee wrote:

I'd rather just lose my job than be absolved al la the Inquisition. Even if I confess, I'm still getting "fired" Wink

Actually, I was referring to where I work. We have a policy that treats "drug abuse" as a medical condition and if busted you can opt to go to Employee Assistance and get "treatment." They can't fire you here if you play the game, but as a conscionable person I would probably not lie or repent for something I believe is no one's business but my own personal little vice.
Back to top Go down
Marc™
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
Marc™

Male
Rep : 212

PostSubject: Re: Workplace drug testing   Workplace drug testing EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 10:00 pm

I think jobs should have the option, but I don't agree with random drug testing. If an employee comes in and is obviously in some other mental zone, then I'm for the place pulling him or her aside and making them take a drug test....but if no one has given management any reason to do it, then it doesn't need to happen.
Back to top Go down
GrayWolf
…is Authorized.
…is Authorized.
GrayWolf

Male
Rep : 36

PostSubject: Re: Workplace drug testing   Workplace drug testing EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 10:50 am

TOTALLY AGAINST IT! Workplace drug testing Smoking-cannabis-034
Back to top Go down
RobbieFTW
…is Being Fitted For a Crown.
…is Being Fitted For a Crown.
RobbieFTW

Male
Rep : 145

PostSubject: Re: Workplace drug testing   Workplace drug testing EmptyWed Dec 08, 2010 7:07 am

Shale wrote:
Yes it is a big invasion of privacy. Of course it is legal for private companies to do it, because it is an agreement to work there. The gov't can't force it (except in case of liability for an accident) because it violates our right to "be secure in our person."

Still, I can go out and get drunk out of my mind and show up with a hangover but sober to work and it is OK. But, if I smoke some grass on the weekend and am not stoned after a few hours the THC still shows in the body and I could lose my job if tested. Or take the out - go to counseling (brainwashing) confess my sins and get absolved. Sorta like the inquisition days.

BTW, even if I didn't smoke and hung out with stoners, the THC would show up in a test.

It's that way at my job too. If you test positive, they won't fire you (necessarily) if you submit to going thru their lil 12 steps. I think its all bullshit tho. If someone is at work so under the influence that its affecting performance then either write them up or fire them. But I'm completely against random or entry drug tests. If I'm a recreational user and do it on my own time then that's my business.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: Workplace drug testing   Workplace drug testing EmptyWed Dec 08, 2010 1:34 pm

I think that employers should have the right to do random drug testing. Drugs are illegal and it isn't fair to pick and choose which jobs are "important" enough to require it. I don't want my pilot high, but I also don't want the clerk at the market, counting my change, high either.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male

PostSubject: Re: Workplace drug testing   Workplace drug testing EmptyWed Dec 08, 2010 5:34 pm

RedBedroom wrote:
I think that employers should have the right to do random drug testing. Drugs are illegal and it isn't fair to pick and choose which jobs are "important" enough to require it. I don't want my pilot high, but I also don't want the clerk at the market, counting my change, high either.

What if the clerk counting your change was not high?

What if he smoked dope at a party on the weekend and got tested on Monday, days after the high left. THC will still be in his system to be picked up by the test. Just a trace amount shows pos, so he should be fired for that?
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female

PostSubject: Re: Workplace drug testing   Workplace drug testing EmptyWed Dec 08, 2010 6:27 pm

Quote :
What if he smoked dope at a party on the weekend and got tested on Monday, days after the high left. THC will still be in his system to be picked up by the test. Just a trace amount shows pos, so he should be fired for that?

Yes, he should be if he agreed to work for a company with that policy. Don't get me wrong, I don't hold anything against a person who smokes it. But, when it comes to an employer standpoint, I think that they should have the right to do random drug testing. If the employee is not agreeable he may go work elsewhere where no such policy exists.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male

PostSubject: Re: Workplace drug testing   Workplace drug testing EmptyWed Dec 08, 2010 6:35 pm

RedBedroom wrote:
Yes, he should be if he agreed to work for a company with that policy. ... If the employee is not agreeable he may go work elsewhere where no such policy exists.
Even before the economy tanked, jobs were not that easy to come by so you can't always pick and choose where to work.

You work for an employer and he has a right to expect you to produce for him whatever he needs from that work. However, he should not have the right to tell you how to live your own life off the company clock. That is too much control for nothing.

But, pardon me. I am an anachronism who believes in personal rights - definitely a minority in todays America.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female

PostSubject: Re: Workplace drug testing   Workplace drug testing EmptyWed Dec 08, 2010 6:45 pm

Well, I look at this from having lived with a contractor for the last 12 years and have seen what he has gone through with having to find out employees were getting high in the morning before coming to work on his site. It is a mess.

Yeah, it does suck for the weekender who smokes on Saturday and then gets randomly tested on Monday...but if having that "not that easy to come by" job means something to him, he will pass it down on Saturday without taking a drag.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Workplace drug testing   Workplace drug testing Empty

Back to top Go down

Workplace drug testing
Page 1 of 1