Can standardized tests be culturally biased or racist? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Can standardized tests be culturally biased or racist?

Go down 
+4
Jason B.
stonestatic
Alan Smithee
Chris
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

Can standardized tests be culturally biased or racist? Empty
PostSubject: Can standardized tests be culturally biased or racist?   Can standardized tests be culturally biased or racist? EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 12:18 pm

This used to be a slightly hot issue in the 1970s (I recall episodes of Good Times and Diff'rent Strokes that tackled this topic.)

Do you think that standardized testing can be culturally biased, in terms of using examples to ask a question?

For example:
If test questions use words like "bidet," "carriage house," "stables," "veranda," is this setting inner city kids up to score lower -- simply because they may not understand the terminology, or relate to having a carriage house?
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Can standardized tests be culturally biased or racist?   Can standardized tests be culturally biased or racist? EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 2:30 pm

I know from personal experience that they can be. In college, one of my professors gave our class of middle class white kids an IQ test that was geared more for people of the inner city. Most of us scored like idiots. Of course it makes a difference in some cases.
Back to top Go down
stonestatic
…is an Up 'N Comer.
…is an Up 'N Comer.
stonestatic

Male
Rep : 24

PostSubject: Re: Can standardized tests be culturally biased or racist?   Can standardized tests be culturally biased or racist? EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 7:26 pm

I never understood that. Unless a test is asking questions that are racist (hateful), I just don't see how it can be considered racist just because it uses examples that certain classes can't personally relate to. Barring the "terminology" angle that someone may not understand, I don't see how a poor kid presented with math problem that is presented around the idea of a "summer home" can be so distracting. These tests require you to use your imagination when it comes to plot.
Back to top Go down
Jason B.
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Jason B.

Male
Rep : 70

PostSubject: Re: Can standardized tests be culturally biased or racist?   Can standardized tests be culturally biased or racist? EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 7:56 pm

stonestatic wrote:
I never understood that. Unless a test is asking questions that are racist (hateful), I just don't see how it can be considered racist just because it uses examples that certain classes can't personally relate to. Barring the "terminology" angle that someone may not understand, I don't see how a poor kid presented with math problem that is presented around the idea of a "summer home" can be so distracting. These tests require you to use your imagination when it comes to plot.

These kinds of tests are about comprehension. The key to comprehension is familiarity with the relevant subject. If a kid from a lower income family can't relate to the question about a rich persons dilemma, then he can be distracted by it and not do well.
Back to top Go down
Kral
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Kral

Female
Rep : 30

PostSubject: Re: Can standardized tests be culturally biased or racist?   Can standardized tests be culturally biased or racist? EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 10:30 pm

JB wrote:

These kinds of tests are about comprehension. The key to comprehension is familiarity with the relevant subject. If a kid from a lower income family can't relate to the question about a rich persons dilemma, then he can be distracted by it and not do well.

I disagree. I'm not rich and don't know what it's like to vacation in Switzerland or have a chauffeur, but I think I'm capable of using my imagination to envision a plot that involved these things long enough to answer a question. I don't need to relate to it, I just need to have enough of an imagination! Taking standardized tests to task for being culturally or classibly "insensitive" is too bleeding heart for this liberal.
Back to top Go down
TSJFan4Ever
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
TSJFan4Ever

Female
Rep : 78

PostSubject: Re: Can standardized tests be culturally biased or racist?   Can standardized tests be culturally biased or racist? EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 4:03 am

I think they definitely can be. I also think that they don't take things into account. It doesn't always make a difference, but it can, esp. when language is a barrier.
Back to top Go down
Nhaiyel
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Nhaiyel

Female
Rep : 123

PostSubject: Re: Can standardized tests be culturally biased or racist?   Can standardized tests be culturally biased or racist? EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 12:03 pm

They can be culturally 'biased' in their inquiries, sure. I don't know if I would immediately interchange that with racism. More classist than racist.
Back to top Go down
http://www.musicfanclubs.org/aaliyah/
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: Can standardized tests be culturally biased or racist?   Can standardized tests be culturally biased or racist? EmptyWed Dec 08, 2010 1:11 am

It is just my guess that standardized tests don't include terms that may elude certain demographics. Plus, I would think that once a teacher finds out they exist, he/she is teaching those terms the next year anyway.

I could go on and on about how teachers teach to the test more than the students. But that would be me getting on a soap box...but trust, it happens.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can standardized tests be culturally biased or racist?   Can standardized tests be culturally biased or racist? Empty

Back to top Go down

Can standardized tests be culturally biased or racist?
Page 1 of 1