Should ex-felons be allowed to vote? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Should ex-felons be allowed to vote?

Go down 
+6
Alan Smithee
Supernova
Shale
femme fatale
Forgiveness Man
GrayWolf
10 posters
AuthorMessage
GrayWolf
…is Authorized.
…is Authorized.
GrayWolf

Male
Rep : 36

Should ex-felons be allowed to vote? Empty
PostSubject: Should ex-felons be allowed to vote?   Should ex-felons be allowed to vote? EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 10:58 am

Once a convict has done their time and/or probation or parole and is staying out of trouble and contributing to society by working and paying their taxes, they should be able to vote. That is my opinion of course. What do you think?
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Should ex-felons be allowed to vote?   Should ex-felons be allowed to vote? EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 10:59 am

If currently incarcerated felons can vote, why not ex-felons? Razz
Back to top Go down
femme fatale
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
femme fatale

Female
Rep : 46

PostSubject: Re: Should ex-felons be allowed to vote?   Should ex-felons be allowed to vote? EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 11:06 am

No. They committed a felony. They cannot vote, they cannot own a fire arm, they cannot do a lot of things. That is one of the deterrents to keep people from committing a felony. That's part of the punishment. If they want to vote, don't get slapped with a felony.

If you want to give that privilege back to them, then let's let them buy a gun if they want. Heck, let's just drop the charge to something lesser.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Should ex-felons be allowed to vote?   Should ex-felons be allowed to vote? EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 11:11 am

GrayWolf wrote:
Once a convict has done their time and/or probation or parole and is staying out of trouble and contributing to society by working and paying their taxes, they should be able to vote. That is my opinion of course. What do you think?
co-signs

Yes, past convictions should not affect the future lives of people who have completed their adjudicated time. Unless of course we wish to remove all pretense that our judicial system is not one of reform at all but merely one of punishment forever.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: Should ex-felons be allowed to vote?   Should ex-felons be allowed to vote? EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 11:17 am

I really can't see WHY they shouldn't be allowed to vote.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Should ex-felons be allowed to vote?   Should ex-felons be allowed to vote? EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 11:25 am

Forgiveness_Man wrote:
If currently incarcerated felons can vote, why not ex-felons? Razz

Shit, it's getting colder again! twisted
Back to top Go down
Marc™
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
Marc™

Male
Rep : 212

PostSubject: Re: Should ex-felons be allowed to vote?   Should ex-felons be allowed to vote? EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 11:27 am

I don't think a currently incarcerated felon should be able to vote....but if a felons is released from prison, then I don't see why not. If you gonna let them walk, then you may as well let them vote too.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Should ex-felons be allowed to vote?   Should ex-felons be allowed to vote? EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 11:29 am

I want clarify that I don't think inmates should be allowed to vote but once they are released and are no longer on parole then they should at least have that right restored.
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: Should ex-felons be allowed to vote?   Should ex-felons be allowed to vote? EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 11:39 am

The point of prison is to punish. When time has been served I don't see what is gained by continuing to punish people after release. If they're expected to become upstanding law abiding members of the community there's no reason for them to be denied the same rights & privileges as everyone else. I'm not a psychologist but it seems that would only instill an anger or bitterness in someone. That would probably be more likely to encourage them to repeat the behavior that got them incarcerated in the first place. If people are treated as if they are subhuman you can't expect them to act civilized. A debt paid is a debt paid. It's wrong to keep collecting.
Back to top Go down
Jason B.
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Jason B.

Male
Rep : 70

PostSubject: Re: Should ex-felons be allowed to vote?   Should ex-felons be allowed to vote? EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 1:26 am

I believe once a felon has paid the debt he owes to society he is free of all constraints. If it is felt he has not paid his debt, he should never have been released in the first place. I also believe ALL of the rights he forfeited should be returned, including the right to bear arms.
Back to top Go down
CatEyes10736
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
CatEyes10736

Female
Rep : 126

PostSubject: Re: Should ex-felons be allowed to vote?   Should ex-felons be allowed to vote? EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 4:43 am

femme fatale wrote:
No. They committed a felony. They cannot vote, they cannot own a fire arm, they cannot do a lot of things. That is one of the deterrents to keep people from committing a felony. That's part of the punishment. If they want to vote, don't get slapped with a felony.

If you want to give that privilege back to them, then let's let them buy a gun if they want. Heck, let's just drop the charge to something lesser.

I agree with this. Even if they are released from prison and given the chance to start all over, I think being convicted of a felony should have some kind of lingering affect.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Should ex-felons be allowed to vote?   Should ex-felons be allowed to vote? EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 10:16 am

CatEyes10736 wrote:
... Even if they are released from prison and given the chance to start all over, I think being convicted of a felony should have some kind of lingering affect.

Why?

What good is it to put additional obstacles on a person who may be trying to start his life anew. He served his adjudicated time, finished his parole, perhaps wants to get back to work and being productive, yet you think it best to keep hounding him til he dies?
Back to top Go down
GrayWolf
…is Authorized.
…is Authorized.
GrayWolf

Male
Rep : 36

PostSubject: Re: Should ex-felons be allowed to vote?   Should ex-felons be allowed to vote? EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 10:39 am

I don't understand why ex-felons shouldn't be allowed to regain full access to it. Agree with the others that say if they are released then their previous rights should be restored, even the one to vote.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should ex-felons be allowed to vote?   Should ex-felons be allowed to vote? Empty

Back to top Go down

Should ex-felons be allowed to vote?
Page 1 of 1