Public Speaking Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Public Speaking

Go down 
+3
Shale
Alan Smithee
JM130ELM
7 posters
AuthorMessage
JM130ELM
…is Necessary.
…is Necessary.
JM130ELM

Male
Rep : 32

Public Speaking Empty
PostSubject: Public Speaking   Public Speaking EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 12:43 pm

Tomorrow I have to train a group of about 20 new hires and it will be the first time I have had to do this. I was asked last week by my manager if I would be comfortable spending about an hour with these people, walking them through a PowerPoint presentation. Being the "yes" man (sarcasm) that I am, I agreed to it. I'll get through it, I'm just not looking forward to it. I don't mind being a participant in large groups, but a batch of strangers hanging on my every word is not anything I look forward to. Who else is mediocre at public speaking?
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

Public Speaking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Public Speaking   Public Speaking EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 12:47 pm

Good luck James. Try to have fun.

If I could just say a few words... I'd be a better public speaker.
-- Homer J. Simpson
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

Public Speaking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Public Speaking   Public Speaking EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 1:07 pm

IDK what advice to give you. In the course of being involved in various activisms I have been put in front of large groups as a speaker.

I have also been drafted by my company to teach HIV/AIDS courses and while it is now (with this economy no new hires) very small groups, I have had as many as 40 in a room. Just know your stuff and be able to field any questions with honest answers or "IDK, I'll find out and get back to you."

You just speak and go with the flow. Somehow, you realize that there may be a lot of them but they are all just one person. Make eye contact with a few as if it were a personal conversation.

It might help to be a "life model" at the local college art school. Builds confidence being naked in a room of 20 or more students studying ALL your physical features.
:biggrin:
Back to top Go down
AtownPeep
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
AtownPeep

Female
Rep : 39

Public Speaking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Public Speaking   Public Speaking EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 1:23 pm

They would have had to TELL me I had to do that. I wouldn't have agreed to it voluntarily.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

Public Speaking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Public Speaking   Public Speaking EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 3:52 pm

I'm fine casually speaking to a group of people. What sometimes pinches my nerves is having to give a prepared speech, or formal presentation before one. If it's just me talking randomly, it's not much a problem.
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

Public Speaking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Public Speaking   Public Speaking EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 6:17 pm

AtownPeep wrote:
They would have had to TELL me I had to do that. I wouldn't have agreed to it voluntarily.
Same here. It would really depend on the size of the group. About 20 people like JM has, then okay.....I could work through that. But it's definitely not one of my strong points. I'm much better with written communication. I can write the hell out of a memo.
Back to top Go down
MandyPerfumeGirl
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
MandyPerfumeGirl

Female
Rep : 26

Public Speaking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Public Speaking   Public Speaking EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 10:23 pm

I'm not sure if I have any advice to give you except to just do the best you can and you'll be so happy when it's over with. After you're all done with it you should do something to celebrate to congratulate yourself - it's such a hard thing to do.

Good luck JM!

Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

Public Speaking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Public Speaking   Public Speaking EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 11:10 pm

I dunno. I think you guys are making too much out of this. JM, this is some kind of orientation for newbies? Maybe it's the Leo in me but I'd probably tell them that the boss is a little hard of hearing in his right ear so when they speak to him, they should stand on his left side and talk a little louder. I might be kidding about that. I assume you know your shit or you wouldn't have been asked to do this so just organize your thoughts, take a deep breath and picture your audience sitting there in their underwear. Unless that's going to make it, um harder for you to talk so to speak. I don't know why public speaking terrorizes so many people. You'll be fine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Public Speaking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Public Speaking   Public Speaking Empty

Back to top Go down

Public Speaking
Page 1 of 1