'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' repealed by senate Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' repealed by senate

Go down 
+3
MandyPerfumeGirl
Shale
Chris
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' repealed by senate Empty
PostSubject: 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' repealed by senate   'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' repealed by senate EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 7:53 pm

65 = Yay / 3 = Nay

DADT is history.

http://www.towleroad.com/2010/12/final-vote-dadt.html

Quote :
Sen. John McCain (R. Ariz.), a staunch opponent of repeal, called the
vote a "sad day" for the military. "I hope that when we pass this
legislation that we will understand that we are doing great damage, and
we could possibly … harm the battle effectiveness which is so vital to
the survival of our young men and women in the military," he said.
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' repealed by senate   'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' repealed by senate EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 8:50 pm

IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME!!

And McCain's words are almost an exact echo of the conservatives in 1947, bemoaning the integration of the armed forces by Harry Truman. I was in the service and blacks did not do "great damage, or … harm the battle effectiveness which is so vital to
the survival of our young men and women in the military ..." Get over it already.

A Little Historical Perspective

The Military at a Crossroads Again
By Maria Höhn and Martin Klimke
12-13-10

Maria Höhn and Martin Klimke are the authors of "A Breath of Freedom: The Civil Rights Struggle, African American GIs, and Germany" (Palgrave Macmillan, 2010).

...Yet on July 26, 1948, despite ... what can only be called recalcitrant resistance from the military leadership, President Harry S. Truman took a courageous step and issued Executive Order 9981, ordering the speedy integration of America’s military. Truman demanded that, “there shall be equality of treatment and opportunity for all persons in the armed services without regard to race, color, religion or national origin.” Although it would take many more years and another war—this one in Korea—for the de facto implementation of this policy to take hold, with his Executive Order Truman struck a first, decisive blow to the doctrine of “separate but equal,” the cornerstone of Jim Crow America.

Truman’s decision, ... was a bold one, and not without its critics. The naysayers, including the secretary of the Army as well as most of the military brass, warned of deteriorating morale and troop cohesion, or the detrimental impact this revolutionary policy change was bound to have on military effectiveness. ...

Last edited by Shale on Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
MandyPerfumeGirl
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
MandyPerfumeGirl

Female
Rep : 26

PostSubject: Re: 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' repealed by senate   'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' repealed by senate EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 8:59 pm

Good, I'm glad it's finally been passed! It's almost 2011, you'd think this "progressive" country would've moved faster than that. The whole "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" thing was stupid, it was completely ignorant: "You can be gay, but you can't be open about it." Dumbasses. But the important thing is that it's repealed now.

McCain sounds like an idiot. That's probably why he's in Arizona and not in D.C. Hell, even D.C. didn't want him.
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' repealed by senate   'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' repealed by senate EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 9:07 pm

Been out all day & hadn't heard. This is FANTASTIC! About damn time!
Back to top Go down
captainbryce
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
captainbryce

Male
Rep : 127

PostSubject: Re: 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' repealed by senate   'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' repealed by senate EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 1:58 am

Chris wrote:
65 = Yay / 3 = Nay

DADT is history.

Today is officially the first day of a new chapter of my military career. I don't have the words to express my emotions right now. I don't think it's really sunk in yet. I'll probably have more to say about this in the upcomming months as the transition becomes a reality. I'll simply say that it is my personal opinion that John McCain is a douchebag!
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

PostSubject: Re: 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' repealed by senate   'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' repealed by senate EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 7:37 am

captainbryce wrote:
Chris wrote:
65 = Yay / 3 = Nay

DADT is history.

Today is officially the first day of a new chapter of my military career. I don't have the words to express my emotions right now. I don't think it's really sunk in yet. I'll probably have more to say about this in the upcomming months as the transition becomes a reality. I'll simply say that it is my personal opinion that John McCain is a douchebag!

From this point on I hope your military career is one that you can thrive with with more pride and integrity now that DADT is ending. It's amazing to think about how long it stayed in practice. Seventeen years. I remember when Clinton spoke to a group of college age voters when he was running for president in 1992, and was asked point blank if he intended to remove the military ban on gays and lesbians. He said, without hesitation, yes. Then came DADT.
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Impact
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Impact

Male
Rep : 75

PostSubject: Re: 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' repealed by senate   'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' repealed by senate EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 9:46 am

Must be a sad day for the bigots on the wrong side of history. One of these days America may actually become "Land of the Free" yet. DOMA you're next.
Back to top Go down
CatEyes10736
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
CatEyes10736

Female
Rep : 126

PostSubject: Re: 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' repealed by senate   'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' repealed by senate EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 3:16 pm

clapping cool dance
They should give all those service men and women who were dismissed under it retroactive pay.
Back to top Go down
captainbryce
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
captainbryce

Male
Rep : 127

PostSubject: Re: 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' repealed by senate   'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' repealed by senate EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 8:34 pm

Thanks Chris!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' repealed by senate   'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' repealed by senate Empty

Back to top Go down

'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' repealed by senate
Page 1 of 1