CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
Alan Smithee
Marc™
Supernova
Shale
Chris
9 posters

The 1960s discussion thread

Poll

What was your favorite year of the 1960s

[ 0 ]
    The 1960s discussion thread Bar_left0%The 1960s discussion thread Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    The 1960s discussion thread Bar_left0%The 1960s discussion thread Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 2 ]
    The 1960s discussion thread Bar_left67%The 1960s discussion thread Bar_right [67%] 
    [ 1 ]
    The 1960s discussion thread Bar_left33%The 1960s discussion thread Bar_right [33%] 

Total Votes: 3
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

The 1960s discussion thread Empty The 1960s discussion thread

Post by Chris Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:05 am

They say it's the most culturally significant decade of the past one hundred years. Do you agree?

The 1960s discussion thread 1960s.6
    The 1960s discussion thread 26089_16843513_400x400
    The 1960s discussion thread The_beatles_2
    The 1960s discussion thread Poster_6che
    The 1960s discussion thread Index
    The 1960s discussion thread Supremes
    The 1960s discussion thread 1968-1975_logo
    The 1960s discussion thread 1213300598_1
    The 1960s discussion thread Vietnam_protest_rs
    The 1960s discussion thread 1968

If you were around, do you recall much from that era?
    What was your life like at the time?
    Any favorite 60s music, TV shows, fashions?

I wasn't around, but my parents met in 1969.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

The 1960s discussion thread Empty Re: The 1960s discussion thread

Post by Shale Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:41 am

Chris wrote:They say it's the most culturally significant decade of the past one hundred years. Do you agree?

I was around, but the "decade" at one end was quite different than at the other. The 10 years from 1960 to '70 did not encompass the social changes. If we are looking at a common decade, it would more likely be 1965 to 1975. 1960 to 1965 was still a breakaway from the uptight conservative 1950s.

I was in the Air Force from '63 to '67. In 1968 I was working as a security guard at a hospital and hadn't dropped out, still kept short hair and shaved but enjoyed the sexual revolution which was embraced by young ppl, even those apparently str8-laced non-hippies. I did a couple nurses and an older switchboard operator from the hospital.

Chris wrote:If you were around, do you recall much from that era? What was your life like at the time?

They say "if you can remember the '60s you weren't there." big grin

I was there and remember quite clearly many pleasureable moments. Free-luv was the thing. There was an openness and sense of family. We were all brothers & sisters, crossing racial lines of the previous generation and sexual experimentation included ... well anything.

As I mentioned, my '60s started in 1970. I was a cop in '69 but in the process of dropping out and hanging with long-haired hippie types in the French Quarter. By Jan 70 I quit the police and was hanging with communes and crash pads in New Orleans and by July we went to the Atlanta Pop Festival - a sequel to Woodstock. So I had all those classic experiences - and again, it was great fun.

Oscar Wilde said that "Youth is wasted on the young." I am so glad that I was young at that time. We opened so many doors - and they seem to not have been all shut back, but young ppl aren't going thru them so much any more. Too busy txtng. blank stare @ you

Chris wrote:Any favorite 60s music, TV shows, fashions?
    Oh yes, speaking of Doors, Love Jim Morrison. He sang to me so much in 1969. Also, Led Zeppelin is one of my favorites - but they sing to the adolescent fervor. Santana for the rhythm and Moody Blues for the philosophy. Joany Mitchell was one of us.

As for fashion, I didn't wear fancy clothes. Bell-bottom Levi's and denim shirts, with sandals. Sometimes just had a mustache but finally went with full beard.

This is me, 1972

The 1960s discussion thread L_7e950f10a5d24db99a4240271168cfc8
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:34 am

It's like Larry the Cable Guy's baby picture, there's a vast, obvious difference, but the then and now look exactly the same!
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:36 am

Anyway, that's long before my time, my own mother was only a child at the time, but she said I would've enjoyed it with everything that was going on. I'm a very stubborn person so she's probably also factoring in the political and social sides of it as well when she told me that.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:44 am

They used to say that the 90s was the 60s standing on its head. I don't know how true that statement was though.

As far as the 60s go....not that I was there, but it seems like 1968 was the seminal year of it with all the protests and assassinations of political figures. Speaking of "seminal", I bet there was a lot of sex....I wonder what was better.... the "free love 60s" or the "sexual revolution 70s".
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male

Post by Chris Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:23 am

Shale wrote:

I was around, but the "decade" at one end was quite different than at the other. The 10 years from 1960 to '70 did not encompass the social changes. If we are looking at a common decade, it would more likely be 1965 to 1975. 1960 to 1965 was still a breakaway from the uptight conservative 1950s.

I was in the Air Force from '63 to '67. In 1968 I was working as a security guard at a hospital and hadn't dropped out, still kept short hair and shaved but enjoyed the sexual revolution which was embraced by young ppl, even those apparently str8-laced non-hippies. I did a couple nurses and an older switchboard operator from the hospital.

Makes sense. I always say that the first three or four years of a new decade is basically a hangover of the last. From what I gathered, the 60s became full circle during '67 Summer of Love. Again, from what I gather. I can also believe that '65-'75 were probably more in sync with each other, because from what I've observed of that decade, the first half and latter half sort of seem different. 1971 and 1978 seem to have little in common.

Oh yes, speaking of Doors, Love Jim Morrison. He sang to me so much in 1969. Also, Led Zeppelin is one of my favorites - but they sing to the adolescent fervor. Santana for the rhythm and Moody Blues for the philosophy. Joany Mitchell was one of us.

As for fashion, I didn't wear fancy clothes. Bell-bottom Levi's and denim shirts, with sandals. Sometimes just had a mustache but finally went with full beard.

This is me, 1972

The 1960s discussion thread L_7e950f10a5d24db99a4240271168cfc8

So when did you finally decide to part with all that long hair Shale, and was it a sad, sad day?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:41 am

I was 4 in 1960 and 13 in 1969. In the first half of the decade, I was just an oblivious kid, going to school and playing with my friends. Main difference between now and then was "playing" meant running around or riding your bike instead of sitting in front of a screen having a machine get all the exercise. Ooh and collecting baseball cards and chewing the worst tasting gum. McDonalds was still keeping count and had only sold "millions". By the second half, I was more aware of what was going on around me and Viet Nam pretty much dominated that. All in all, 1968 sucked.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:40 am

Chris wrote:...So when did you finally decide to part with all that long hair Shale, and was it a sad, sad day?

Somewhere around 1975. Sorta mixed feelings, but I had been cutting it off the shoulders as seen in this pic.
    The 1960s discussion thread 1975_s10

Long hair is high maintenance, especially when backpacking thru the Middle East and India where a bath is a bucket of hot water if you're lucky. I think by the time we got back from the '75 trip I was keeping it shorter than this.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:54 pm

* The first debate for a presidential election was televised. It was between Senator John F. Kennedy and Richard M. Nixon. Nixon seemed nervous, but Kennedy stood tall. The debate on TV changed many people's minds about Kennedy.

* This year NASA sent up ECHO, the first communications satellite to be seen with the naked eye.

* American "U2" spy plane shot down over the USSR.

* The Olympic Games were held in Rome and Wilma Rudolf won three gold medals.

* John F Kennedy moves into the White House. He gives his famous speech - "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country."

* The soviets have sent the first man into space and the Americans need a man in space, too. The event came on May 5, 1961. Alan Shepard was sent to space in the "Freedom 7". On May 25, Kennedy wanted to have a man on the moon and back before the decade was over.

* John Glenn became the first man to orbit the earth - 3 times. It was a five hour flight.

* Rachel Carson, a scientist and writer, warned that our earth would die of pollution and chemicals. Especially chemicals that were developed to kill bad insects. DDT was a real bad chemical. It killed bad insects, along with good insects, along with plants, along with animals. She wrote the book Silent Spring with a warning. At least five states banned DDT.

* Martin Luther King Jr. made the speech, "I have a Dream" on August 28, 1963. More than 200,000 peaceful demonstrators came to Washington DC to demand equal rights for Black and Whites. Part of the speech was - "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character…"

* President Kennedy is assassinated in Dallas, Texas on November 22. Kennedy's assassin, Lee Harvey Oswald, was never sent to trial. While being moved by police to a different jail, a man named Jack Ruby shot Oswald. Who killed President Kennedy nobody knows for sure.

* The Beatles, a British rock and roll band became VERY popular. The "Fab Four", John, Paul, George, and Ringo, were played on radio stations all over the world. They were seen on the "Ed Sullivan Show". They performed concerts that were quickly sold out. All the frenzy over the group became known as "Beatlemania", which was only the beginning.

* This was the first year the cigarette boxes had a warning printed on it "Smoking can be hazardous to your health". It had not occurred to the US government to give the warning that smoking lead to cancer and lung problems.

* The first Civil Rights bill was passed to stop racial discrimination.

* President Johnson ordered bombing raids on North Vietnam and Americans begin protesting the war.

* The world's first roofed stadium was built, the Houston Astrodome.

* Walt Disney, the creator of Mickey Mouse and a Pioneer of animated films, died of cancer on December 15, 1966, but his legend lives on.

* The first heart transplant was performed by Dr. Christiaan Barnard in Cape Town, South Africa.

* Civil Rights Leader Martin Luther King was assassinated in Memphis, Tennessee. Two months later, Robert Kennedy, John F. Kennedy's brother was assassinated, too. Both were civil rights leaders.

* On November 5, 1968, Shirley Chisholm was elected America's first black woman to Congress.

* Nearly half a million people headed over to a 600 acre farm in New York for the Woodstock Festival. Many top rock musicians were there. It lasted three days, a weekend of music, love and peace.

* July 20, 1969, 4:18 p.m., one of the biggest events of history happened. Apollo 11 landed on the moon, astronauts aboard. Neil Armstrong's famous speech for the historical steps "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."

Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:56 pm

Cool Clothes

Hot pants (extremely short shorts)
    Mini skirts
    No hats or gloves for day wear
    Space age fashions in vinyl and other synthetics
    Bold, solid color contrasts from the Op Art and Pop Art movements, commonly
    called Mod fashions
    Preppy fashions for upper class youth: Madras plaids, oversize hairy sweaters,
    painstakingly matched accessories
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:59 pm

The 1960's decade began, and so did the Vietnam War. Debate between politicians began as well, almost as bad as the war itself. White House records and transcripts show that the U.S. military leaders usually voted for the use of nuclear bombs, while Dwight Eisenhower and John Kennedy wanted not to get into those weapons. The Vietnam War did start in the 60's, but there had been trouble in Vietnam before that.

The trouble started when the people of North Vietnam wanted to take over South Vietnam. The South Vietnamese people didn't want that, so they tried to fight back. Soon, the Americans pushed their way in the war. They thought that if South Vietnam didn't want to be part of North Vietnam, they shouldn't be bossed around. America began to fight for South Vietnam.

In 1961, President Kennedy sent a group of people to Vietnam to report the conditions. A reporter known as the "December 1961 White Paper" argued for more in military and economic aid. It also had an introduction of a large scale American "advisers" to help stabilize the Diem regime and pound the NFL (National Liberation Front.)

Things had gotten worse in 1968 for the Johnson administration. In late January the DRV (or North Vietnam) and the NFL began to attack some major cities in South Vietnam. The attacks were known as the Tet Offensive, which was a way to fosre the Johnson administration to the bargaining table. The Americans were getting war weary, as The Communists Party correctly decided, and that they were not likely to succeed much longer in war. Many people thought that the Tet offensive was a military defeat, it had produced the desired results. Lyndon Johnson was disgraced, and announced he would not seek the Democratic Party's re-nomination for president, then hinted he was going to the bargaining table to end the war.

Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:03 pm

The 1960s discussion thread 144070.1020.A

The 1960s discussion thread Bond-drno

The 1960s discussion thread Homicidal

The 1960s discussion thread Woodstock-movie-poster1

The 1960s discussion thread 169479.1020.A

Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:23 pm

Tony Marino wrote: ... The trouble started when the people of North Vietnam wanted to take over South Vietnam. The South Vietnamese people didn't want that, so they tried to fight back. Soon, the Americans pushed their way in the war. They thought that if South Vietnam didn't want to be part of North Vietnam, they shouldn't be bossed around. America began to fight for South Vietnam.

Or, you could say that the French colonial government was trying to hang onto a colony late in the 20th century when ppl wanted independence. The Communists in North Vietnam united under Ho Chi Minh, who had the best interest in HIS native soil to overthrow the intruding imperialist powers that had controlled his country.

The French colonial powers were getting their ass kicked, and the U.S. still under the illusion that godless communism was going to take over the beautiful non-exploitive capitalist systems by giving the proletariat more control, jumped into an ill advised civil war to protect all the dominoes in SouthEast Asia.

We bogged down in that war, despite our superior air power and modern weaponry. Our soldiers, as they do in unwinnable wars of attrition started doing war crimes on the population. Defense Secretary, Robert MacNamara knew the war was wrong and unwinnable but kept us there nontheless (we had never been defeated in war - it was a national ego trip). Finally, with growing unrest among the young ppl in the US who refused to be a part of an imperialist slave army and were openly demonstrating against this growing unpopular war, we conceded and abandoned the effort in 1972.

There were 58,211+ American men who died in that war, with countless others wounded both physically and mentally. Can't even determine the number of Vietnamese who were lost.

For our efforts we should have at least learned never to do it again, but as predicted by Nostradamus in 1555 "Come the millennium, month 12, in the home of the greatest power, the village idiot will come forth, to be acclaimed the leader." That "leader," Duh'bya repeated history in Iraq for some ego thing involving his father who was not mentally impaired and did remember history.

On a personal note, I was there. I was in the military from 1963 to '67. There was one time our guys were getting their ass kicked (Tet offensive?) A group of us tried to get transferred to Nam. Fortunately, we were working for NSA and could not go near a combat zone where we might get captured. But, that was the emotional, uneducated feelings of young men at the time. Then sometime around 1968, Playboy magazine ran an interview with Ho Chi Minh. He sounded so spot on, and we knew the U.S. was supporting one corrupt regime after another in the south. So, I recall like so many other young ppl by 1969 saying "50,000 Viet Cong Can't be Wrong."
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:23 pm

^^Shale, without double checking, I think Tet was in '68.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:18 pm

alan smithee wrote:^^Shale, without double checking, I think Tet was in '68.
    Probably right. I don't know what it was, but our guys took a newsworthy beating in Nam sometime in 67 and me and my buddies (office workers in a spy shop) thot we could do what the Marines couldn't. Like I say, boys think with their balls more than their brains.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male

Post by Chris Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:04 pm

Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:59 am

Very interesting era it was, with so many different pots on the stove all boiling over at once.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_of_Love

The 1960s discussion thread Summeroflove070702_560The 1960s discussion thread 0000y1a6The 1960s discussion thread 0000z5d9
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male

Post by Chris Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:31 pm

Imagine all the sex that happened at the Summer of Love.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:44 pm

I missed The Summer of Love, just getting out of the Air Force and trying to find employment and a place to live. I was a bit of a loner until arriving in New Orleans and scarfing up on all that "free love" even as a str8 security guard and later a cop.

"This unprecedented gathering of young people is often considered to have been a social experiment, because of alternative lifestyles that became common, both during the summer itself and during subsequent years. These lifestyles included communal living; the free and communal sharing of resources, often among total strangers; and free love..."

I got into this in 1969 and quit the police dept. & dropped out by Jan 1970. I need not imagine all the sex in those subsequent years. It was a great time to be young.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male

Post by Chris Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:51 pm

Shale, I once spoke to an older guy who served in Vietnam; drafted at eighteen. Like you, he was very fond of his coming of age era, and spoke highly of the volume of easy sex he had from 1967 to about 1980 (you know what happened after that.)
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:08 pm

Chris wrote:...volume of easy sex he had from 1967 to about 1980 (you know what happened after that.)

Well, for me I got married! ROFLMAO!

One of those fortunate coincidences that I was out of the circuit when it became dangerous.

CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:04 pm

I love the short bobs and off the shoulders tops & dresses young women used to wear back then.

The 1960s discussion thread 95687272
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:37 pm

So question WHEN did the hippie movement die out? I can guess it prolly did gradually but when would you say "hippie" chic was dead? We gotta be 70's here.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male

Post by Chris Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:51 am

Bumping for MLK
    The 1960s discussion thread Mlk02

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male

Post by Chris Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:18 pm

43 years ago today Dr. Martin Luther King was assassinated in Memphis TN

Let us remember his sacrifice for all of us.

The 1960s discussion thread 2005-1-16-mlk

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 2:25 am