Marrying someone of a different religion. Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Marrying someone of a different religion.

Go down 
+5
Forgiveness Man
RobbieFTW
MandyPerfumeGirl
Supernova
Chris
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

Marrying someone of a different religion. Empty
PostSubject: Marrying someone of a different religion.   Marrying someone of a different religion. EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 6:48 pm

Would you marry someone who practiced a religion that was significantly different from your own? If the answer is yes, how do you think you would handle any children being brought into the relationship; would you be willing to allow them to practice your spouses religion, or insist that they follow your own?
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: Marrying someone of a different religion.   Marrying someone of a different religion. EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 7:02 pm

Nope, I just wouldn't be able to do it, wouldn't either of us be getting any sleep with that one.
Back to top Go down
MandyPerfumeGirl
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
MandyPerfumeGirl

Female
Rep : 26

PostSubject: Re: Marrying someone of a different religion.   Marrying someone of a different religion. EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 11:04 pm

I'm not an Atheist, but I don't follow any particular religion. To answer your question, yes, I could marry someone who had vastly different opinions than my own when it came to religion. I wouldn't have a problem marrying a man who was devoted to his religion, whatever it may be, so long as he could respect my views as well and accept that I'm my own person with my own beliefs.
Back to top Go down
RobbieFTW
…is Being Fitted For a Crown.
…is Being Fitted For a Crown.
RobbieFTW

Male
Rep : 145

PostSubject: Re: Marrying someone of a different religion.   Marrying someone of a different religion. EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 10:17 am

My parents did it and well. . .

disaster!
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Marrying someone of a different religion.   Marrying someone of a different religion. EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 11:21 am

Nope. It's just not practical.
Back to top Go down
tmontyb
…is Authorized.
…is Authorized.
tmontyb

Male
Rep : 37

PostSubject: Re: Marrying someone of a different religion.   Marrying someone of a different religion. EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 12:45 pm

My uncle....African-American on my mother's side and raised Baptist, wife is Jewish and they have a daughter and they've been together for many years and they are fine. My cousin celebrates both Christian and Jewish holidays. She doesn't prefer one over the other. It just is what it is. I compare it to me being biracial. It is what it is.
Back to top Go down
Wadsworth
…is Significant.
…is Significant.
Wadsworth

Male
Rep : 16

PostSubject: Re: Marrying someone of a different religion.   Marrying someone of a different religion. EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 1:39 pm

Not that big on religion personally so I can't see it being much a problem on my end. Just don't ask ME to convert and if we had kids then I don't know. I might not want them to be all indoctrinated with religion period but I don't know.
Back to top Go down
captainbryce
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
captainbryce

Male
Rep : 127

PostSubject: Re: Marrying someone of a different religion.   Marrying someone of a different religion. EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 4:12 pm

Chris wrote:
Would you marry someone who practiced a religion that was significantly different from your own? If the answer is yes, how do you think you would handle any children being brought into the relationship; would you be willing to allow them to practice your spouses religion, or insist that they follow your own?
I can only answer from a Christian perspective. And my answer reflects two specific scriptures that come to mind.

2 corinthians 6:14-16
14 Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? 15 What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? Or what does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? 16 What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols?

This scripture would seem to suggest that Christians should not marry non-Christians because the differences in belief systems would cause termoil within the relationship. Marriage requires certain compromises and a give and take relationships in order to make the marriage successful. But a believer in Christ should never "give up" Christ for Belial (or Mohammad) just as a Muslim would be unlikely to give up Mohammad for Christ. It's easy for people to say that (he'll just do his thing, and she'll just do her's) but the fact of the matter is, different religions in one household will influence the beliefs or practices of everyone living in that household. Do celebrate Christmas or Ramadan? And if you compromise to celebrate both, you are dishonoring both.

However,

1 corinthians 7:12-15
12 To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. 13 And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. 14 For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy. 15 But if the unbeliever leaves, let it be so. The brother or the sister is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace.

This scripture suggests to me that (at least the Apostle Paul) feels that it's okay to for a Christian to be married to a non-believer (so long as they don't practice another religion). The intent here is the well being of the family staying together for the benefit of children.
Back to top Go down
TPP
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
TPP

Female
Rep : 69

PostSubject: Re: Marrying someone of a different religion.   Marrying someone of a different religion. EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 5:29 pm

When my husband and I got married, I was Mormon and he was...undefined but spiritual. Over the years I've done a lot of religious searching and he's followed me along, going to whatever church I would drag him to, but he's still undefined and I am fine with that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Marrying someone of a different religion.   Marrying someone of a different religion. Empty

Back to top Go down

Marrying someone of a different religion.
Page 1 of 1