CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
Wadsworth
Supernova
TPP
7 posters

Anyone like Stephen King?

TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Anyone like Stephen King? Empty Anyone like Stephen King?

Post by TPP Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am

I know some people think he's awful, but he's my favorite author. I think there is just so much realism in the way he writes and I love the characters and the imagination. I can be having the worst day and lay down with a Stephen King book and totally escape for hours at a time...It annoys my husband because I don't hear anything when I'm reading, lol.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Anyone like Stephen King? Empty Re: Anyone like Stephen King?

Post by Supernova Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:13 am

We had a thread about him a while back. I opened it with basically 'you knew we'd get to this sometime', or something. Because yeah Stephen King, critically acclaimed, highly praised, but where a lot of people are concerned, well we won't get into that...I haven't read much of his work, I've read Carrie, Misery, Thinner, book 1 of the Green Mile, a couple of short stories and I think that's it so far. I have The Shining and Cujo and Different Seasons, haven't read them yet, plan to read The Stand, and Four Past Midnight, and other things.

He calls himself the literary equivilant of a cheeseburger and fries, which I don't get, I asked about that, people had their own idea, and mine was that it's junk food, everybody loves it but it's not very good. Of the few things I have read so far, I liked Carrie, LOVED it's post-prom destruction of the town better than the movie, and Misery, I loved that one...I was sick when I was reading that and that's a book that will make you feel not so bad if you're sick after you read what happens to poor Paul Sheldon. I swear to God, at the point where Annie hobbled him, I immediately reached back to make sure my right foot was still attached. And in that way I say Stephen King IS a genius because he is the ONLY writer whose work has done that to me.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:21 am

Supernova wrote:We had a thread about him a while back. I opened it with basically 'you knew we'd get to this sometime', or something. Because yeah Stephen King, critically acclaimed, highly praised, but where a lot of people are concerned, well we won't get into that...I haven't read much of his work, I've read Carrie, Misery, Thinner, book 1 of the Green Mile, a couple of short stories and I think that's it so far. I have The Shining and Cujo and Different Seasons, haven't read them yet, plan to read The Stand, and Four Past Midnight, and other things.

He calls himself the literary equivilant of a cheeseburger and fries, which I don't get, I asked about that, people had their own idea, and mine was that it's junk food, everybody loves it but it's not very good. Of the few things I have read so far, I liked Carrie, LOVED it's post-prom destruction of the town better than the movie, and Misery, I loved that one...I was sick when I was reading that and that's a book that will make you feel not so bad if you're sick after you read what happens to poor Paul Sheldon. I swear to God, at the point where Annie hobbled him, I immediately reached back to make sure my right foot was still attached. And in that way I say Stephen King IS a genius because he is the ONLY writer whose work has done that to me.

Yes, I think it's more like a REALLY good pop song, you know you like it because it's catchy and it rhymes, but there is also enough of a good story in it that it stands out a little from all the other just good pop songs. Probably that works for me because I'm a musician and that's the kind of thing that some sorts of musicians tend to look down on, pop.

Stephen King seems to be, to many avid readers, a guilty pleasure...But really entertaining and fun. I think every single Stephen King movie that I have seen has been crap though. There is some kind of magic in the written words that just doesn't translate to film, imo.
    Wadsworth
    Wadsworth
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Male
    Rep : 16

Post by Wadsworth Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:18 pm

Yeah but most of the times I'm not always thrilled with the film adaptation. Best book he wrote was THE GREEN MILE.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:28 pm

Wadsworth wrote:Yeah but most of the times I'm not always thrilled with the film adaptation. Best book he wrote was THE GREEN MILE.

I thought The Green Mile was good, but I think my favorite book is Insomnia. I've read it a few times and I cry every time. I agree about the movies, I actually hate them.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:56 am

Yeah, I've read practically everything he's written except for what he did under his pen name. TTP, have you read the 7 book Dark Tower series? So much of a lot of his earlier work is tied to that in some way. He may be coming out with an 8th and/or a sequal to The Shining. As for film adaptations it's a toss up for me between The Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me. Both are based on 2 of the 4 novellas from Different Seasons. They did a movie out a 3rd, Apt Pupil that I don't think was as good as the story. I should probably include The Green Mile too. I read it when it was originally published as a 6 book serial.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:59 am

thepossiblepolice wrote:
    Wadsworth wrote:Yeah but most of the times I'm not always thrilled with the film adaptation. Best book he wrote was THE GREEN MILE.

I thought The Green Mile was good, but I think my favorite book is Insomnia. I've read it a few times and I cry every time. I agree about the movies, I actually hate them.

Insomnia is another one that's rooted in The Dark Tower. So is Hearts In Atlantis.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:10 am

Has anybody here read The Stand? Or rather, has anybody read the cut and uncut versions of The Stand? Does anybody know exactly what was taken out the first go around and how much of it, and why?
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:31 pm

Supernova wrote:Has anybody here read The Stand? Or rather, has anybody read the cut and uncut versions of The Stand? Does anybody know exactly what was taken out the first go around and how much of it, and why?

I have read EVERY SK book, both of The Stand and I can't put my finger on exactly what was taken out, but it was just more in depth, and I think better.

I think it was just so it wouldn't be quite so intimidating!

The Dark Tower series is my other favorite, in reference to the other post! Reminds me of Tolkien.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:02 pm

Did Anyone read Gerald's Game? I think I am the only one that read it LOL.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:46 pm

Never read it, Tony, what's it about?
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:15 pm

Supernova wrote:Never read it, Tony, what's it about?

Its about a husband and wife that decide to go to a secluded Cabin for a vacation I think. The husband's name is Gerald. He handcuffs his wife to the bed (which they have done before) and she accidently kills him so now she is hancuffed to the bed and can't reach the keys and the husband's body is on the floor. Its really an interesting bizarre story.

TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:24 pm

Tony Marino wrote:Did Anyone read Gerald's Game? I think I am the only one that read it LOL.

I did! Really disturbing...I always think of her slitting her wrists to get free...
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:52 pm

thepossiblepolice wrote:
    Tony Marino wrote:Did Anyone read Gerald's Game? I think I am the only one that read it LOL.

I did! Really disturbing...I always think of her slitting her wrists to get free...

and the dog eating the body..........
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:25 pm

Tony Marino wrote:
    thepossiblepolice wrote:

I forgot about that part! It was so interesting how soon concern over her husband dying switches to "How the eff am I going to survive this?"
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:59 pm

thepossiblepolice wrote:
    Tony Marino wrote:

I forgot about that part! It was so interesting how soon concern over her husband dying switches to "How the eff am I going to survive this?"

Yeah well I guess survival instincts kicked in since the hubby was dead and nothing she could do about it. The book made her out to be some kind of bitch anyways.

AtownPeep
    AtownPeep
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 39

Post by AtownPeep Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:02 pm

The only Stephen King book I read was "IT."
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:53 am

I don't like horror, so I haven't read most of his books - too scary - lol!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 2:43 am