CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
RobbieFTW
CatEyes10736
Forgiveness Man
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
CeCe
Shale
Marc™
11 posters

Chick-fil-A Backed Retreat: No Gay Couples

Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

News Chick-fil-A Backed Retreat: No Gay Couples

Post by Marc™ Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:44 pm

Chick-fil-A Backed Retreat: No Gay Couples
    Chick-fil-A Backed Retreat: No Gay Couples 9e2b7bee33c5299a44004ff19b4eaf14
    By Neal Broverman
    Fri Jan 28, 10:34 am ET

Los Angeles – A retreat for a philanthropic group funded by Chick-fil-A will not welcome same-sex couples, according to emails received from Good As You.

The WinShape Foundation was started in 1984 by Chick-fil-A founder Truett Cathy and his wife, Jeannette, to fund summer camp programs for children. WinShape also sponsors a retreat center for couples at Berry College in Rome, Ga. — there are programs and counseling for both unwed and married couples advising on how to have "a successful Christian marriage."

The Good as You blog discovered correspondence where WinShape officials were asked if same-sex couples could attend the retreats.

"WinShape Retreat defines marriage from the Biblical standard as being between one man and one woman," the foundation's reply said. "Groups/individuals are welcome who offer wholesome, educational conferences and programs that are compatible with Biblical values and WinShape's purpose."

When asked to clarify, WinShape officials sent an email that read, "We do not accept homosexual couples because of the statement in our contract."

Representatives at Chick-fil-A's headquarters in College Park, Ga. didn't immediately return a request for comment. The chicken chain caught flak earlier this month when it was discovered they sponsored a marriage event sponsored by the antigay Pennsylvania Family Institute (Chick-fil-A later dropped their name from banner ads promoting the event). In 2009, the company supported antigay Focus on the Family.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/advocate/20110128/ts_advocate/chickfila_backed_retreat_no_gay_couples_1
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

News Re: Chick-fil-A Backed Retreat: No Gay Couples

Post by Shale Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:50 pm

Damn, Wish I ate chicken so I could not eat theirs. blank stare @ you
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:55 pm

They're free to do whatever they want to do but so am I--like no longer doing business with them. I respected their "closed on Sunday" policy (many businesses are, some for religious reasons, some "just because") but not this. They're not the only place with a chicken sandwich.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:33 pm

This place is still in business? I don't know if we even have them in MA anymore.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:03 pm

^^^^They're only getting bigger here. I like some Chic-Fil-A! big grin
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:03 pm

The only one I knew of closed down pretty quickly.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:15 pm

I have only barely heard of this place. They sell chicken? Oh well I will avoid them if I ever happen across one.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:16 pm

Apparently this is President Eat Mor Chikin's version of damage control. lol

Dan Cathy, President and COO of Chick-fil-A, Clarifies Recent News Coverage

ATLANTA, Jan. 29, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Recently, there have been some misleading stories about Chick-fil-A in the media and on the Internet. As a result, I feel strongly about the need to clarify some things.

In recent weeks, we have been accused of being anti-gay. We have no agenda against anyone. At the heart and soul of our company, we are a family business that serves and values all people regardless of their beliefs or opinions. We seek to treat everyone with honor, dignity and respect, and believe in the importance of loving your neighbor as yourself.

We also believe in the need for civility in dialogue with others who may have different beliefs. While my family and I believe in the Biblical definition of marriage, we love and respect anyone who disagrees.

Chick-fil-A has a long history of trying to encourage and strengthen marriages and families, both within our Chick-fil-A system and with our customers. My father and our Founder/CEO, Truett Cathy, is a role model for the Cathy family and all those who have joined Chick-fil-A. His personal and business values have always reflected a belief in the importance of marriage and family. We have seen these principles honored powerfully in Dad's marriage of more than 63 years to our mother Jeannette and those of his family, including my wife Rhonda and me in our 37 years of marriage.

At Chick-fil-A, we have a heart for helping marriages because we know marriage can be difficult at times. Through the years, we have supported our Chick-fil-A staff and franchised Operators in their marriage journey, and since the formation of our family foundation, the WinShape Foundation, we have helped others as well. Primarily through WinShape, we have supported summer camps for girls and boys, 14 foster homes, more than $26 million in college scholarships and the development and operation of the WinShape Marriage Retreat Center.

Some recent coverage has incorrectly reported that we require potential franchisees to discuss their church involvement. In addition, we do not require this in our franchisee selection process nor do we require a pledge to follow Christian values for the college scholarships we provide.

Chick-fil-A's Corporate Purpose is "To glorify God by being a faithful steward of all that is entrusted to us, and to have a positive influence on all who come in contact with Chick-fil-A." As a result, we will not champion any political agendas on marriage and family. This decision has been made, and we understand the importance of it. At the same time, we will continue to offer resources to strengthen marriages and families. To do anything different would be inconsistent with our purpose and belief in Biblical principles.

In summary, we are a dedicated family business committed to three core areas:

* A 65-year history of operating the business according to Biblical principles.
    * A 65-year history of providing genuine hospitality for all people.
    * A 65-year history of serving families and communities without a political agenda.

Our commitment to these areas has never been more important in light of recent events. Speaking of commitment, I want to thank our restaurant Operators and their more than 60,000 team members for their commitment to customer service.

We appreciate, value and have enjoyed serving all of our customers for many years. We also appreciate this opportunity to clarify any confusion about our beliefs, and we thank everyone for supporting our restaurants and your love for the Chick-fil-A experiences. It has and will continue to be our pleasure to serve you.

Dan T. Cathy

President and COO

Chick-fil-A, Inc.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/dan-cathy-president-and-coo-of-chick-fil-a-clarifies-recent-news-coverage-114872034.html
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:19 pm

Chick-fil-A Backed Retreat: No Gay Couples Facepalm_implied
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:34 pm

You guys never heard of this place? Get outta the box! Razz
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:45 pm

They just lost my business. Hope these couples have fun at their Nazi retreat.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:48 pm

And people think Christians are reactionary when they boycott......
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:56 pm

^^Actually we love and respect anyone who disagrees. But we will not champion any religious agendas on marriage and family. To do anything different would be inconsistent with our purpose and belief in human rights principles.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:06 am

Basically the same thing as their boycotts. Wink
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:21 am

I'm tempted to sue him for the damage done to my BS meter.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:31 am

CeCe wrote:^^Actually we love and respect anyone who disagrees. But we will not champion any religious agendas on marriage and family. To do anything different would be inconsistent with our purpose and belief in human rights principles.

co-signs
    FightSleep
    FightSleep
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 1

Post by FightSleep Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:27 am

Their food is pretty good actually. Don't see the point in boycotting a franchise company, it won't hurt the corporate office.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sat May 07, 2011 9:12 am