Is being anti-war an insult to troops? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is being anti-war an insult to troops?

Go down 
+4
CatEyes10736
CeCe
Supernova
Chris
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

Is being anti-war an insult to troops? Empty
PostSubject: Is being anti-war an insult to troops?   Is being anti-war an insult to troops? EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 9:11 am

Do you think people who are anti-war are, theoretically, spitting in the face of the troops in combat? Is it possible to be totally against a war, and still be supportive of the troops?
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: Is being anti-war an insult to troops?   Is being anti-war an insult to troops? EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 11:20 am

No, it's like the saying goes, hate the war but don't hate the soldiers who are fighting it. Now today, the military is made up of willing (ha ha) recruits, but back in the 60s when they were drafted for Vietnam, they really didn't have a choice in the matter, they could either go to war, or go to jail and be branded traitors who hated America. So I'd really like to know why when THEY came home people were calling THEM murderers instead of the people who drafted them and forced them to take part in the war in the first place. Most of the Vietnam soldiers were boys barely out of high school, nobody, especially that young, should have to face an ultimatum like that, go to the other side of the world where for years they endure horrors unimaginable, and then they come home and their own people are calling them murderers and attacking them for doing what Uncle Sam ordered them to do in the first place.
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: Is being anti-war an insult to troops?   Is being anti-war an insult to troops? EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 4:04 pm

Chris wrote:
Do you think people who are anti-war are, theoretically, spitting in the face of the troops in combat? Is it possible to be totally against a war, and still be supportive of the troops?

Absolutely. I respect people who willingly sign up knowing they could be seriously injured or even killed. It's honorable & they deserve respect. But I don't have to agree with everything my country involves itself in.

Last edited by CeCe on Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to add quote from Chris)
Back to top Go down
CatEyes10736
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
CatEyes10736

Female
Rep : 126

PostSubject: Re: Is being anti-war an insult to troops?   Is being anti-war an insult to troops? EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 9:20 pm

No. I see the being principally anti-war and having respect for military troops as two mutually exclusive designations. I may be against the war the country is fighting, but I tip my hat to the soldiers who're forced to fight and wish them well.
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Is being anti-war an insult to troops?   Is being anti-war an insult to troops? EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 9:21 pm

Not in it of itself, but I do think strong anti-war sentiments can lead to an anti-troop one.
Back to top Go down
TSJFan4Ever
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
TSJFan4Ever

Female
Rep : 78

PostSubject: Re: Is being anti-war an insult to troops?   Is being anti-war an insult to troops? EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 10:24 pm

No. I think you can disagree about the war, but still support the troops. Canada's role is a bit different, as we serve mainly as peacekeepers Our troops have my utmost respect. I honour them, but it doesn't stop me from wanting the war to be over. I don't support the war, but I believe in what our troops are doing. Every time I see one of those flag-draped caskets being loaded of the airplane, I choke back tears and say a prayer for the family. Canada has a special way of honouring our war dead. Each hearse travels down the "Highway of Heroes" on it's way to Trenton Airforce base. It's a very public journey but I'll let this video speak, instead, as it conveys the emotions far more than my words every could. It's a scene that greets every hearse as it journeys to Trenton, carrying our soldiers home.

A friend sent me this link, and I found it really interesting. Canada doesn't often get noticed on US news. I think both of these videos sum up how many Canadians feel.

Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Is being anti-war an insult to troops?   Is being anti-war an insult to troops? EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 10:47 pm

Supernova wrote:
No, it's like the saying goes, hate the war but don't hate the soldiers who are fighting it. Now today, the military is made up of willing (ha ha) recruits, but back in the 60s when they were drafted for Vietnam, they really didn't have a choice in the matter, they could either go to war, or go to jail and be branded traitors who hated America. So I'd really like to know why when THEY came home people were calling THEM murderers instead of the people who drafted them and forced them to take part in the war in the first place. Most of the Vietnam soldiers were boys barely out of high school, nobody, especially that young, should have to face an ultimatum like that, go to the other side of the world where for years they endure horrors unimaginable, and then they come home and their own people are calling them murderers and attacking them for doing what Uncle Sam ordered them to do in the first place.
co-signs Beat me to it Supernova.
Back to top Go down
Rainmaker
…is an Up 'N Comer.
…is an Up 'N Comer.
Rainmaker

Male
Rep : 0

PostSubject: Re: Is being anti-war an insult to troops?   Is being anti-war an insult to troops? EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 7:56 am

Not at all. Anti-war simply means anti-war. If anything it can be considered anti-government, but I wouldn't even go that far. The troops have no say in the country's decision to enter combat; they participate on command. Many people are anti-war for the sake of the troops. I'd rather my military loved one be at home safe than in the cusp of artillery fire.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is being anti-war an insult to troops?   Is being anti-war an insult to troops? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is being anti-war an insult to troops?
Page 1 of 1