CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
Nystyle709
captainbryce
Shale
Tony Marino
Supernova
Chris
10 posters

City vs. Suburbs: which is the better place to raise kids?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

City vs. Suburbs: which is the better place to raise kids? Empty City vs. Suburbs: which is the better place to raise kids?

Post by Chris Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:23 am

Which do you feel is the better place to raise kids, the city or the 'burbs?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

City vs. Suburbs: which is the better place to raise kids? Empty Re: City vs. Suburbs: which is the better place to raise kids?

Post by Supernova Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:13 am

At a choice between the two, I'd pick suburbs, I wouldn't live in a city and I wouldn't raise my kids in one either.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

City vs. Suburbs: which is the better place to raise kids? Empty Re: City vs. Suburbs: which is the better place to raise kids?

Post by Tony Marino Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:38 pm

Kids that live in the city tend to be better educated and have better street smarts. I would rather educate any kids of mine in the burbs I would just make sure the school is good.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:51 pm

I lived in a rundown neighborhood of North St. Louis my first ten years. It was fun being a little kid there - and I walked all over the city.

Then we moved to the 'burbs, where I spent my adolescence and that was a different kind of fun. Got a bicycle because things were farther away.

I think the 'burbs are probably better for teens. I had a friend with a car so we did the Steak N Shake teen hangout routine. Walked two miles from school each day with friends and hung out. Don't know what the city counterpart to that would have been. Less walking I suppose.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:52 pm

Chris wrote:Which do you feel is the better place to raise kids, the city or the 'burbs?
    Ideally, I would choose the suburbs not too far away from the city. Long Island for example.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:04 pm

There isn't one that is 'better'. They both have their pros and cons and whatever is the best enviornment that suits the parents should be ideal.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:43 am

I'd choose the suburbs, too, but it depends on the size of the city. A smaller city would be fine, but not a larger one.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:18 am

We live in the city, but a residential area that feels suburby to me. I feel like we benefit from a school district with more resources and options, the proximity to so many museums and exposure to more cultural diversity. On the other hand I worry more about gang violence and the fact that we are so close to the interstate (I guess more girls are kidnapped from places close to an interstate for the sex trade and that's frightening of course).

There's more for teens to do here than just go get wasted, which was what all the teens did in the small town that I grew up in.

Also I know that suburbs have gang problems too, there have been more gang problems lately in the suburb that my husband grew up in and another suburb that I lived in before moving here...

But still as a parent, the thought that my kids might either be targeted by gangs or join a gang really scares me. My old neighbor was an elderly lady whose grandkids lived with her (their mom was a drug addict who was off and on the wagon and lived there sometimes too) and her grandson was shot just down the street! She sent him away to Texas and he got shot there, and then when he came back and recovered he got shot here! He lived, thank goodness but the thought that people are getting shot in the neighborhood really scares me!
    Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

Post by Kral Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:48 am

For the most part I think the public school system in the suburbs tend to be a little better, but in the larger city there are more options for special types of schools (like higher academic and performing arts). I would base a lot of it on that.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:13 pm

Like NY said, both have pros and cons. I think suburbs have a slight advantage because kids get to live in a calmer area, but also have the amenities of the city near.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 2:59 pm