Give me all your financial info…now! Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Give me all your financial info…now!

Go down 
+9
CeCe
Nhaiyel
Supernova
Alan Smithee
RobbieFTW
Tony Marino
RedBedroom
Shale
Chris
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

Give me all your financial info…now! Empty
PostSubject: Give me all your financial info…now!   Give me all your financial info…now! EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 9:23 am

Do you cringe when asked about your finances? I was raised that it's in poor taste to inquire such things from people – unless they are a significant other.

I was once on the phone with one of my co-workers and she just blurted out: "So how much do you make in a week?" I had to pause before answering, that's how serious it is for me. She had 'reasons' for asking, but it just seemed somewhat rude. Oh and get this, when I didn't give her an exact amount for my salary, she was like "Wait? That's an odd number. Is that before or after taxes?"

I know it's probably not really that big a deal to some but I think that if someone isn't paying my bills, then it's not any of their business how much they are, or how much money I make for that matter.

Does anyone else feel this way?
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Give me all your financial info…now!   Give me all your financial info…now! EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 9:40 am

I know some companies forbid employees from revealing what they make to coworkers. Causes rifts when they find out your making big bucks and they aren't. (Or causes unions when you all find out no one is making big bucks).

IDK how much I make gross until tax time. I always look at the part that goes into the bank. IDK what my hourly pay is so others would get very little from me about what I make.

And I would never presume to ask someone what they made and would feel it invasive if they asked me.

In fact, around certain ppl who waste a gallon of gas to go somewhere to save $3 on an item, I don't even tell them what I pay for things because invariably they will tell me I coulda got it cheaper. What's that about? Supposed to make me feel better knowing I paid more than I should have for something?
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: Give me all your financial info…now!   Give me all your financial info…now! EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 12:59 pm

I am the same way, Chris. I despise that question. I always answer something like, "I make enough to afford what I have." Or some blanket reply like that.

I also don't like that people assume that just because we both have our own business we are rolling in the dough and comment as such. Just last weekend, a friend who is in need of cash asked to help my guy on a one day job. The bid was $800, materials were nearly $600 and the friend was disgruntled that he wouldn't make $100 for the day.
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

PostSubject: Re: Give me all your financial info…now!   Give me all your financial info…now! EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 1:01 pm

Absolutely Chris, its no one's business how much you make and what assets you have. If you want to divulge the information thats your business but I would tell someone right out its not a subject that I want to pursue with them.
Back to top Go down
RobbieFTW
…is Being Fitted For a Crown.
…is Being Fitted For a Crown.
RobbieFTW

Male
Rep : 145

PostSubject: Re: Give me all your financial info…now!   Give me all your financial info…now! EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 2:10 pm

I work at a gym and a member asked me how much the starting pay was for what I do. That annoyed me.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Give me all your financial info…now!   Give me all your financial info…now! EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 2:15 pm

When someone asks me personal questions I usually look around to make sure no one can over hear us, lean close and say quietly to them, “Can you keep a secret?” When they assure me that they can, I tell them, “So can I.”
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Give me all your financial info…now!   Give me all your financial info…now! EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 2:16 pm

Either that or "I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you."
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: Give me all your financial info…now!   Give me all your financial info…now! EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 2:17 pm

It's nobody's business and it's poor taste to ask.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

PostSubject: Re: Give me all your financial info…now!   Give me all your financial info…now! EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 2:36 pm

I knew I wasn't over thinking this. Ever since that incident, I have been slightly put off by this co-worker.
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Nhaiyel
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Nhaiyel

Female
Rep : 123

PostSubject: Re: Give me all your financial info…now!   Give me all your financial info…now! EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 4:20 pm

I would have told her that, until she becomes my tax adviser, this wasn't a conversation we were going to have.
Back to top Go down
http://www.musicfanclubs.org/aaliyah/
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: Give me all your financial info…now!   Give me all your financial info…now! EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 4:27 pm

I don't even answer it in surveys. Banks, taxes, things like that are the only time it even needs to be discussed.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Give me all your financial info…now!   Give me all your financial info…now! EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 7:14 pm

RobbieFTW wrote:
I work at a gym and a member asked me how much the starting pay was for what I do. That annoyed me.

What's wrong with that question? He/she didn't ask you want you were making, just how much they start off with. If it's a job that you're interested in, there is no qualms in asking how much that particular job pays before you decide to pursue it. Nobody wants to go after a gig and then find out they can't live off of the salary. It's a waste of time.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Give me all your financial info…now!   Give me all your financial info…now! EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 7:18 pm

To answer the question, I don't 'cringe' when asked about my finances. I just don't divulge particular information. It also depends on the way they ask it. Her just straight out asking you what you make in a week was poor taste, but if she were to say...."about how much does a salaried employee make in a week because I would like to be salaried one day" or something like that and you know she was serious about trying to get a similar postion and just in general wanted to know for that reason, then I don't think that's poor taste. You don't have to tell her how much you make, you can just give her a general idea.
Back to top Go down
MandyPerfumeGirl
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
MandyPerfumeGirl

Female
Rep : 26

PostSubject: Re: Give me all your financial info…now!   Give me all your financial info…now! EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 11:59 pm

It's very impolite to ask about someone's finances. It's bad manners - it's no one's business.
Back to top Go down
TSJFan4Ever
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
TSJFan4Ever

Female
Rep : 78

PostSubject: Re: Give me all your financial info…now!   Give me all your financial info…now! EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 12:12 am

Yeah - I do - unless it's someone I'm REALLY close to, or there's an actual reason, such as they're planning on applying to the same place, or something like that. As soon as that creep I dated a couple of times asked how much I owed on my student loans, I knew what kind of person he was an that we would not be having a 4th date. I only wish now that I'd told him that it was none of his business but that I thank him for revealing is true colours, chauvinist that he is.
Back to top Go down
femme fatale
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
femme fatale

Female
Rep : 46

PostSubject: Re: Give me all your financial info…now!   Give me all your financial info…now! EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 6:34 am

The general rule is that you're not supposed to ask someone else how much they earn because it's rude. The only people who know what I bring in a week are my employer and the guy who does my taxes. I'm discreet about it with everyone else.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Give me all your financial info…now!   Give me all your financial info…now! Empty

Back to top Go down

Give me all your financial info…now!
Page 1 of 1