CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
Shale
MandyPerfumeGirl
Supernova
Chris
TPP
9 posters

Do you think parents should try to keep up with popular culture?

Poll

Do you think parents should try to keep up with popular culture so they know what their kids are exposed to or into?

[ 3 ]
    Do you think parents should try to keep up with popular culture? Bar_left60%Do you think parents should try to keep up with popular culture? Bar_right [60%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Do you think parents should try to keep up with popular culture? Bar_left20%Do you think parents should try to keep up with popular culture? Bar_right [20%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Do you think parents should try to keep up with popular culture? Bar_left20%Do you think parents should try to keep up with popular culture? Bar_right [20%] 

Total Votes: 5
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Do you think parents should try to keep up with popular culture? Empty Do you think parents should try to keep up with popular culture?

Post by TPP Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:04 pm

My kids are always talking about Justin Beiber and I honestly don't know a thing about him other than he has funny hair and looks really young. I started thinking about how my kids are starting to be influenced by their friends, and things other than me, and I was wondering if I should start to pay attention to the kind of stuff they are into, just so I know?

I guess, now that it occurs to me, it seems obvious that I should, but my oldest is only 9 so I've never really thought about it before.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Do you think parents should try to keep up with popular culture? Empty Re: Do you think parents should try to keep up with popular culture?

Post by Chris Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:09 pm

I wouldn't bother, because at the end of the day it doesn't much matter. My daughter is thirteen, but I had her at eighteen, so I think at a certain point I was young enough to fleetingly relate (or at least appreciate) to what she might be into, but that's starting to fade now. She mentions names and titles (she was *big* on The Suite Life with Zach and Cody a few years ago) I may have heard of, but have next to no interest in learning more about. Just keep it PG-13, I tell her.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Do you think parents should try to keep up with popular culture? Empty Re: Do you think parents should try to keep up with popular culture?

Post by Supernova Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:22 pm

I think they should a little because it's like you always have to keep up on the current events so you're not going by just what you knew 10 or 20 years ago, and pop culture is a part of the ever changing current events in life. Should they know as much about it as the kids? I don't think so, especially if they have no interest in it themselves. MOST pop culture today is NOT worth knowing about for any age.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:35 pm

Chris wrote:I wouldn't bother, because at the end of the day it doesn't much matter. My daughter is thirteen, but I had her at eighteen, so I think at a certain point I was young enough to fleetingly relate (or at least appreciate) to what she might be into, but that's starting to fade now. She mentions names and titles (she was *big* on The Suite Life with Zach and Cody a few years ago) I may have heard of, but have next to no interest in learning more about. Just keep it PG-13, I tell her.

My kids are into i-Carly and I don't get that show AT ALL.

I guess I want to know what they are into a little more than I do, so that I can give them messages with my own values, as another viewpoint, if the stuff they like is contrary to my values.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:39 pm

I don't think it's real vital for parents to keep up with current pop culture. It's not really a necessity, in my opinion.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:44 pm

thepossiblepolice wrote:
    Chris wrote:I wouldn't bother, because at the end of the day it doesn't much matter. My daughter is thirteen, but I had her at eighteen, so I think at a certain point I was young enough to fleetingly relate (or at least appreciate) to what she might be into, but that's starting to fade now. She mentions names and titles (she was *big* on The Suite Life with Zach and Cody a few years ago) I may have heard of, but have next to no interest in learning more about. Just keep it PG-13, I tell her.

I guess I want to know what they are into a little more than I do, so that I can give them messages with my own values, as another viewpoint, if the stuff they like is contrary to my values.

I have younger nephews and neighbors and I can't get into any of that stuff at all and I don't even bother. When my nephews were staying here one was watching Spongebob and I said to him 'HOW can you sit there all day watching a stupid talking sponge?' and couldn't really get an answer. My response was to show him the stuff I'm into, which at that moment was a Buster Keaton film where he tries to build his own home from a do-it-yourself kit. He was a little slow in coming around to it but near the end he thought it was hysterical.

It's not like when my brother and I were kids and our parents didn't get Kablaam! and Jim Henson's Dinosaurs, some of the stuff then was crap, some was gold, but today, it's ALL crap, ALL the same things, EVERYBODY in all these shows today got to be a star, that's their biggest ambition and it's all you ever see, how the hell can you even tell them apart?
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:47 pm

Supernova wrote:
    thepossiblepolice wrote:

I have younger nephews and neighbors and I can't get into any of that stuff at all and I don't even bother. When my nephews were staying here one was watching Spongebob and I said to him 'HOW can you sit there all day watching a stupid talking sponge?' and couldn't really get an answer. My response was to show him the stuff I'm into, which at that moment was a Buster Keaton film where he tries to build his own home from a do-it-yourself kit. He was a little slow in coming around to it but near the end he thought it was hysterical.

It's not like when my brother and I were kids and our parents didn't get Kablaam! and Jim Henson's Dinosaurs, some of the stuff then was crap, some was gold, but today, it's ALL crap, ALL the same things, EVERYBODY in all these shows today got to be a star, that's their biggest ambition and it's all you ever see, how the hell can you even tell them apart?

I don't know sad I'm just glad my kids don't love Hannah Montana any more because that girl made me was to pull my hair out.

So maybe I'm over protective? I feel like they are going to start listening to rap and wanting to wear hoochie mama clothes and give people blow jobs or something and I'll be blissfully unaware...
    OR that my boys will join a gang and get killed.

But maybe that's because I don't understand the culture.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:14 pm

Well I don't think if they WERE to do that, that would come so much from the music or the shows they're into but rather the company they're keeping. Parents are always supposed to know who their kids' friends are, as well as where they go to hang out, when they ARE going, when they're coming home, etc., and that said I do think parents should have SOME idea of what their kids are watching as well, especially when they're still young and very impressionable.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:22 pm

Supernova wrote:Well I don't think if they WERE to do that, that would come so much from the music or the shows they're into but rather the company they're keeping. Parents are always supposed to know who their kids' friends are, as well as where they go to hang out, when they ARE going, when they're coming home, etc., and that said I do think parents should have SOME idea of what their kids are watching as well, especially when they're still young and very impressionable.

That's probably true. Right now I still have complete control over where they go and who they go with and there's always me or an adult that I know and trust there. But I am one of those parents who needs to know all of that. I also will be getting them the cell phones that GPS track them and text me where they are at...

I'm just scared I guess, I want so much for them to have good lives and I feel like there are so many "problem" kids around us, because we live in a less than desirable neighborhood and the parents just aren't there.

Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:34 pm

thepossiblepolice wrote:My kids are always talking about Justin Beiber and I honestly don't know a thing about him other than he has funny hair and looks really young. ...
    Tell them that Justin Beiber is a murdering sociopath who killed several ppl including cops before other cops blew him away in a barrage of gunfire, several shots hitting him in the chest. blank stare @ you

Well, that's what I saw on CSI last night. The kid is stretching into acting and didn't do too bad, especially playing a sociopathic killer. which I think was a well chosen roll considering his goody boy persona.
    RiteDiva
    RiteDiva
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 8

Post by RiteDiva Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:23 pm

You'll drive yourself crazy trying to keep up with these kids pop culture, because it's fleeting and who they're into this year won't be who they'll be stanning for next. I would just observe what it is they're watching and listening to to make sure it's in line with what you're comfortable with them being immersed in. I wouldn't start watching Teen Nick to see who is the next Disney starlet to replace the last one.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:48 pm

RiteDiva wrote:You'll drive yourself crazy trying to keep up with these kids pop culture, because it's fleeting and who they're into this year won't be who they'll be stanning for next. I would just observe what it is they're watching and listening to to make sure it's in line with what you're comfortable with them being immersed in. I wouldn't start watching Teen Nick to see who is the next Disney starlet to replace the last one.

haha, that's more what I meant anyway, I have no plans to become a fan of any of the stuff that they watch/listen to...Now if only they would become fans of MY music...
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:50 pm

IDK, sometimes it's creepy when parents TRY to keep up with popular culture because a lot of them ain't so good at it. FORGIVENESS MAN
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:00 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:IDK, sometimes it's creepy when parents TRY to keep up with popular culture because a lot of them ain't so good at it. FORGIVENESS MAN

lol, I guess my wording was not precise...I don't mean I'll be dressing like them or buying myself JB CD's...I mean, just be aware and listen to it with them to make sure it's okay and stuff.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:01 pm

^^^^Well they should definitely monitor what their kids listen to, definitely. Wink
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:12 pm

I think as parents we should know what the artists our kids are into are all about. So far, my son hasn't been a fanatic of any particular artists or actors or shows.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:46 pm

I voted "other" because while I think it's vital for parents to know who, what and where their kids are involved with they don't need to have their kid's music on their iPods, etc.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:28 am

thepossiblepolice wrote:

I'm not sure if my daughter watches that one, I don't think so. From ages age six to about twelve, she splurged on those Disney/Snick shows (Zach and Cody, Hannah, Lizzy), but I think she's starting to phase out of them, which I'm personally grateful for. Now she's watching adult cartoons like Family Guy and Boondocks, as well as some of those teenage reality shows on MTV; which at times I am iffy about, but I let her slide on some of them – so long as the episodes aren't too raunchy.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:34 am

Chris wrote: Now she's watching adult cartoons like Family Guy and Boondocks...

Ooh, ooh. You should see if she likes Archer. That show is a riot.

Then again. Maybe not.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:54 am