CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
MandyPerfumeGirl
Shale
Nystyle709
Supernova
Tony Marino
Chris
10 posters

At what age should kids have mobil phones?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

At what age should kids have mobil phones? Empty At what age should kids have mobil phones?

Post by Chris Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:28 am

At what age do you think that kids should be given their own cell phones?
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

At what age should kids have mobil phones? Empty Re: At what age should kids have mobil phones?

Post by Tony Marino Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:33 am

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

At what age should kids have mobil phones? Empty Re: At what age should kids have mobil phones?

Post by Supernova Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:11 am

Yeah, I know a lot of people pride themselves on being soooo modern and all their little kids have cell phones because they're probably going to go out to the Gobi desert and NO other kid will have a phone they could call for help or something, but if I had kids I wouldn't get them one either. They'd have to pay for it themselves along with the bills.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:04 pm

If and whenever they become latchkey kids. But around 16, I think that's a good age to get them one. My father bought me a cell phone when I was about that age. Just a regular cell for emergencies. They definitely won't be getting a Blackberry or iPhone or some other fancy, schmancy phone.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:40 pm

Chris wrote:At what age do you think that kids should be given their own cell phones?
    Never. When they get a job and buy their own, then they can have one.

Sorry, but I'm old. I lived without this shit for half a century. It is doable.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:47 pm

Agreed.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:19 pm

I would say maybe 14 or 15. It definitely wouldn't be very high-tech, it would be a basic TracFone and even if they wanted more minutes for it, or wanted a different phone that was "in" I'd say "Well, I guess you better start saving your money."
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:35 pm

MandyPerfumeGirl wrote:I would say maybe 14 or 15. It definitely wouldn't be very high-tech, it would be a basic TracFone and even if they wanted more minutes for it, or wanted a different phone that was "in" I'd say "Well, I guess you better start saving your money."

co-signs
    I know parents can do whatever they want but it annoys the hell outta me to see a kid yapping on a phone, especially a really young one. I know of one kid in the second grade. I mean, really? blank stare @ you
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:28 pm

Probably about 13.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:14 pm

My son is nearly 12 and has had one for well over a year. I know it is not a necessity by any means, but it is a luxury for all three of us that works out very well. For a small extra line charge, we don't have to burn our minutes to call the land line, as we call each other free. I can reach him easily if plans change and he needs to come home sooner...there are a lot of reasons that it is a convenience that works for us. Now, if he was a kid who wasn't as out and about as he is, or if it cost a lot of money monthly, then it would be wasteful. But as it stands, I wouldn't have it any other way.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:53 pm

CeCe wrote:
    MandyPerfumeGirl wrote:I would say maybe 14 or 15. It definitely wouldn't be very high-tech, it would be a basic TracFone and even if they wanted more minutes for it, or wanted a different phone that was "in" I'd say "Well, I guess you better start saving your money."

co-signs
    I know parents can do whatever they want but it annoys the hell outta me to see a kid yapping on a phone, especially a really young one. I know of one kid in the second grade. I mean, really? blank stare @ you

I've heard of worse, I remember somebody talking about 5 year olds talking on them as they peddle on their Big Wheels, and there are some people who are idiotic enough to say 'why shouldn't they have them? Kids need them to call their friends', right, did yelling into the next yard 'hey can you come out and play?' become impossible?
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:00 pm

Like with most things related to child rearing, it depends on the personality of the child in question. I wouldn't go under 10, but if a child that age is mature enough to have a cell phone, keep up with it and not run up the bill, then I wouldn't be against them having one. A cell is a good way for parents to always keep up with their kids, and is more useful than not.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:24 pm