CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

4 posters

Flag Burning

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Flag Burning  Empty Flag Burning

Post by Chris Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:32 am

Do you think burning the American flag should be against the law?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Flag Burning  Empty Re: Flag Burning

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:40 am

Do I think the Constitution should be amended to prevent it? I'm neutral. As far as protesting U.S. citizens burning it.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:27 am

I don't see the point in burning a flag. It's the kind of thing that seems to be intended to just draw attention to the burner. And I'll acknowledge I did laugh at that one picture we've all seen. But..should the Constitution be amended? Not no but HELL no. There should only be changes that right a wrong for the people. A country that values its symbols above its citizens has its priorities out of order.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:08 pm

Chris wrote:Do you think burning the American flag should be against the law?
    It is a form of protest (and yes it does draw attention or what's the point?).

It is protected as free speech and I don't like to see any infringement on free speech, however distasteful it might be. We tolerate the Klan and Neo Nazi's in public and that too is distasteful.

So, if you own the flag and wish to demonstrate by burning it - and face all the possible illegal ramifications to your person for doing so, it at least should be legal. If you burn someone else's flag then we already have laws against that.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:37 pm

Shale wrote:
    Chris wrote:Do you think burning the American flag should be against the law?
    It is a form of protest (and yes it does draw attention or what's the point?).

It is protected as free speech and I don't like to see any infringement on free speech, however distasteful it might be. We tolerate the Klan and Neo Nazi's in public and that too is distasteful.

So, if you own the flag and wish to demonstrate by burning it - and face all the possible illegal ramifications to your person for doing so, it at least should be legal. If you burn someone else's flag then we already have laws against that.

I think protests are great. But they seem pointless unless they have some realistic potential to bring about change. For me flag burning is the equivalent of the online petition. It might make the "signer" or in this case burner feel better but nothing really changes. But certainly, people are within their legal right to do it. And it should remain that way. A symbol should never be held in higher regard that the people. For the most part we need to leave the Constitution the hell alone.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:36 pm