CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
Shale
Tony Marino
Chris
7 posters

Should classic movies be 'updated?'

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Should classic movies be 'updated?' Empty Should classic movies be 'updated?'

Post by Chris Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:51 am

How do you feel about classic films being 'updated?' Are you for/against it?
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Should classic movies be 'updated?' Empty Re: Should classic movies be 'updated?'

Post by Tony Marino Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:27 am

Mostly against. The only movie that I can say I really enjoyed as a re-make was Titanic. Look at the re-makes of King Kong what a disaster they were. With all the books that have been written by world famous authors and not so famous authors you would think Producers would have mega material to work with but instead they choose to keep recycling old movies to fit the current generation.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Should classic movies be 'updated?' Empty Re: Should classic movies be 'updated?'

Post by Shale Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:47 am

Chris wrote:How do you feel about classic films being 'updated?' Are you for/against it?
    It's art - go for it. Just because something was good a long time ago and satisfied everyone of that generation does not mean it is sacrosanct for all time.

In our modern age of technology we can enjoy the "classics" on DVD or even BluRay. If you don't want to see a remake - DON'T GO SEE IT! For those of us who do want to see how an old story can be retold on screen, with different actors and more advance FX, it is great.

I have both the 1951 and 2008 The Day The Earth Stood Still. I like them both. The '51 version had a message for its time, the Cold War years - the '08 has a more ecological message for saving the planet from stupid humanity.

War of the Worlds same thing. I saw the 1953 movie in theater and have it on DVD. Amazing how I remembered everything about that movie as a kid. Also, amazingly good effects for the time and it had relevance but it is sooo dated now. I also enjoyed the remake of that movie which is the retelling of a 19th century story in modern times. Perhaps the movie purists would like to see the portrayal exactly like H.G. Wells described it in his novel with steam engines and lots of cast iron machinery. So the "classic" 1953 movie actually deviated from that story.

So, it doesn't bother me that movies are redone. Sometimes even an excellent movie like the 1969 True Grit being remade with another excellent movie in 2010 that happens to follow more closely to the original written story.

What do you think, Supernova? big grin
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:26 am

For the most part I think it's a mistake. Does anybody want to see Steve martin in Topper? I sure as hell don't, but from what I've heard, it's been in the works for a few years now. And I didn't want to see him in Father of the Bride either, that's a role that Spencer Tracy made work and a movie that worked for its era.

And how gory is a redoing of The Birds going to be?

A lot of people who saw the new Day the Earth Stood Still were all in agreement they wanted somebody to kill the bratty kid so the movie could be tolerable.

And the remake of Psycho from '98? They updated it, and it was pure crap even with their added sex and violence.

Mr. Deeds, now, I was not biased against this remake because it was years before I saw the original, Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, Gary Cooper beats Adam Sandler's ass in this regard.

I don't even want to think about what it would be like if somebody got the bright idea they should remake Mr. Smith Goes to Washington because good guys are not in anymore, now the in thing is everybody's bad, just some people are bad to lesser degrees to do bad things that aren't as bad as the bad guys.

And people saying there should be a remake of Rebel Without a Cause...are they nuts? In the 50s it was groundbreaking work because tame though it is today, it was very violent back then, and back then the whole 'teen angst' thing was still new and each character had legitimate reasons to be upset. Today teenagers acting out because they don't fit in is as old as dirt where people are concerned, teenagers are all overly emotional, all drama queens, all just looking for attention, exactly what could they do that the movie could be taken a fraction seriously?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:50 pm

Doesn't matter to me. I see nothing wrong with people wanting to put a new spin on an existing movie.....whether or not it would be trash or not. I find it hilarious at the huffing people do because a movie is or is planning to be remade. They act like somebody is going to fucking burn the original into oblivion or something.
    JWF
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 4

Post by JWF Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:25 pm

Chris wrote:How do you feel about classic films being 'updated?' Are you for/against it?

Occasionally a remake is better, but not often. However, what is considered a classic? Are they films made during the studio era, such as the 1930's and 1940's. Personally, a current film may be good enough to be considered a classic (or masterpiece) in it's own time. There are a few films from the 1990's that fall into that arena.

That said, I feel "True Grit" remake is much better. The original, which is questionable in being referred to as a classic, just because John Wayne was considered an icon. There are a number of really good 2010 films as indicated by the Top 10 films nominated.

Jack
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:56 pm

I'm against it! Way back when, film was an art, now it's a business - don't mess with the art and try remake it!
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:24 am

MandyPerfumeGirl wrote:I'm against it! Way back when, film was an art, now it's a business - don't mess with the art and try remake it!

Indeeeeeeeeeed, did anybody here see TCM's Moguls and Movie Stars special that was back in October and November? I saw every episode and it was amazing to see how far movies had come from Edison's first experiments, and in hindsight, I can't say that today we've come so far. In previous times they had very little to work with, compared to today, shoestring budgets, a fraction of the crew members, very limited special effects, and the movies turned out great because they knew they had to make the most of what they had to work with. What is it today? $150 million budgets, films that could take 10 years to shoot and add in all the effects, and the stories are all the same and none of them good.

Now there are a lot of movies that deal with presidential assassination, but can anybody (who's familiar with the movie) imagine what it would be like if they remade Suddenly today? Who would they put in Frank Sinatra's role? Would he be as charming? No, would he be as charismatic? Doubtful...would he be likeable at all which is odd given in the 50s bad guys and good guys were still mainly black and white and you weren't supposed to root for the villains? no And as annoying as they made the boy in the updated Day the Earth Stood Still, who the hell would they have for Pidge who everybody wouldn't be rooting for Baron to kill him?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 10:05 pm