Do you consider yourself patriotic? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do you consider yourself patriotic?

Go down 
+6
CatEyes10736
captainbryce
Alan Smithee
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
Nystyle709
Chris
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

Do you consider yourself patriotic? Empty
PostSubject: Do you consider yourself patriotic?   Do you consider yourself patriotic? EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 6:23 pm

Do you consider yourself patriotic? US-Flag

Do you love America, and all that it stands for?
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Nystyle709
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider yourself patriotic?   Do you consider yourself patriotic? EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 6:58 pm

LOL.

I'm patriotic..................to a fault. That doesn't mean I don't recognize and acknowledge all of America's bullshit and quickly point it out.
Back to top Go down
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
(Oh!) Rob Petrie

Male
Rep : 62

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider yourself patriotic?   Do you consider yourself patriotic? EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 8:09 pm

Why is patriotism only associated with America?

I'm very patriotic, but not for America. The internet is global. =/
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider yourself patriotic?   Do you consider yourself patriotic? EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 8:34 pm

Rockbird wrote:
Why is patriotism only associated with America?

It isn't. It's just that it seems that most of the members here are U.S. citizens so that was the focus of Chris' question. And to answer it, yes I do love this country but not blindly. If you love someone you should be able to help them work on their faults. To me it's like having a sibling. You can fight like cats and dogs among yourselves but if someone outside the family says something against your flesh and blood…watch out.
Back to top Go down
captainbryce
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
captainbryce

Male
Rep : 127

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider yourself patriotic?   Do you consider yourself patriotic? EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 9:40 pm

I'm as patriotic as I need to be considering what I do for a living. At least SOME form of patriotism is necessary for me to have the will to do what I do.
Do you consider yourself patriotic? 4
Do you consider yourself patriotic? 7

However, I don't have BLIND patriotism! In my experience MOST people who claim to be "patriotic" don't know the first thing about basic things like US history and law and government, to say nothing of things like US military history, the Law of Armed Conflict, National Security Policy, International Relations, etc. And I think that people who are patriotic just for the sake of being patriotic (because they were born in the US and therefore see it as something worthy of praise), those people are often missing the big picture. Half the time they don't even know what THEY themselves believe in not to mention what the US stands for (or whether or not those are one in the same). But I also feel the same way about a lot of Americans who constantly criticize the US and speak negatively about a country that they support by living in and paying taxes to.

Here are three quotes (3 different perspectives) about patriotism that I like to refer to:

1) Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel. (Samuel Johnson)

2) Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it (George Bernard Shaw)

3) Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. (Mark Twain)

I believe in Mark Twain's intepretation, however I feel that most people who claim "patriotism" are somewhere between Samuel Johnson's and George Bernard Shaw's intepretation.
Back to top Go down
CatEyes10736
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
CatEyes10736

Female
Rep : 126

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider yourself patriotic?   Do you consider yourself patriotic? EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 9:50 pm

I recognize the problems this country has and have no desire to pretend they don't exist, but honestly I have no desire to live anywhere else.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider yourself patriotic?   Do you consider yourself patriotic? EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 10:11 pm

I sorta feel the same way as Capt Bryce and this quote from one of my fav dissident American writers probably explains why I don't jump on patriotic bandwagons.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." (Mark Twain)

When the fuckheads attacked us on Sept. 11, 2001 I dug out a flag that I had and put it on the wall of my apartment. It was in my quite patriotic Uncle Bob's things from WWII (yeah, only 48 stars). It just felt right to me. However, I will not recite the pledge of allegiance to that flag.

I am very critical of much of American cultural norms and the attempt to implement those norms (against the constraints of our Constitution) onto us dissidents. So, it is not "my country - right or wrong" but don't tell me "love it or leave it" (which has been said to me in my Hippie days) because I paid my dues to be critical of this country's misdeeds.

Do you consider yourself patriotic? Shale1963AFBlue

OH BTW Capt. I thot you were in the Marines or Army. Didn't realize you were a Staff Sgt in the AF. I left as A1C, (3 stripes) but in the two years to get my Honorable Discharge certificate, they now call me Seargent.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider yourself patriotic?   Do you consider yourself patriotic? EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 10:58 pm

Yes, I am.
Back to top Go down
captainbryce
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
captainbryce

Male

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider yourself patriotic?   Do you consider yourself patriotic? EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 11:18 pm

Shale wrote:
OH BTW Capt. I thot you were in the Marines or Army. Didn't realize you were a Staff Sgt in the AF. I left as A1C, (3 stripes) but in the two years to get my Honorable Discharge certificate, they now call me Seargent.
Lol nope, definetely AF. But I'm not a Staff Sergeant anymore. That second picture was taken back in 2004, lol. I just posted it because I already had it uploaded to photobucket. I digitally removed my last name from that photo some years ago. The top pic is more recent (from earlier this year) and my blousing of removed so that my current rank and last name aren't in view.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider yourself patriotic?   Do you consider yourself patriotic? EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 11:22 pm

Who is the attractive young lady who's almost out of uniform?

PS - Love the Mark Twain quote!
Back to top Go down
TPP
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
TPP

Female
Rep : 69

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider yourself patriotic?   Do you consider yourself patriotic? EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 11:45 pm

I love America. I'm patriotic. My house is painted red, white and blue...

But I'm afraid of what it's become and where it seems to be heading.
Back to top Go down
captainbryce
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
captainbryce

Male

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider yourself patriotic?   Do you consider yourself patriotic? EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 11:46 pm

alan smithee wrote:
Who is the attractive young lady who's almost out of uniform?

PS - Love the Mark Twain quote!
One of the Washington Redskin's cheerleaders on a USO tour at a deployed location.
Back to top Go down
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
(Oh!) Rob Petrie

Male

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider yourself patriotic?   Do you consider yourself patriotic? EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 11:49 pm

I guess I'm the only American who doesn't like it here. embarassed
Back to top Go down
captainbryce
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
captainbryce

Male

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider yourself patriotic?   Do you consider yourself patriotic? EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 11:50 pm

Rockbird wrote:
I guess I'm the only American who doesn't like it here. embarassed
I'm sure you're not. But then the question arises, "why do you live here" followed by "where would you rather live"?
Back to top Go down
Wadsworth
…is Significant.
…is Significant.
Wadsworth

Male
Rep : 16

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider yourself patriotic?   Do you consider yourself patriotic? EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 11:52 pm

CatEyes10736 wrote:
I recognize the problems this country has and have no desire to pretend they don't exist, but honestly I have no desire to live anywhere else.

co-signs
I wouldnt hang a flag on my wall and don't follow the conservative patriot love theme but if somebody from Japan, Afghanistan, India or Canada came around and talking big shit bout America it would irritate me and I would throw up pride.
Back to top Go down
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
(Oh!) Rob Petrie

Male

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider yourself patriotic?   Do you consider yourself patriotic? EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 11:52 pm

1) - I have no money (broke college student)

2) - Back in Germany.

Last edited by Rockbird on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male

captainbryce wrote:
One of the Washington Redskin's cheerleaders on a USO tour at a deployed location.

Way cool. She reminded me a little of Drea de Matteo from The Sopranos.
Back to top Go down
captainbryce
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
captainbryce

Male

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider yourself patriotic?   Do you consider yourself patriotic? EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 11:54 pm

Rockbird wrote:

2) - Back in Germany.
Are you from Germany originally?
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider yourself patriotic?   Do you consider yourself patriotic? EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 11:55 pm

Wadsworth wrote:
I wouldnt hang a flag on my wall and don't follow the conservative patriot love theme but if somebody from Japan, Afghanistan, India or Canada came around and talking big shit bout America it would irritate me and I would throw up pride.

That's what I meant about someone outside the family talking smack about your brother or sister even though you don't always get alone yourselves.
Back to top Go down
TPP
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
TPP

Female
Rep : 69

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider yourself patriotic?   Do you consider yourself patriotic? EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 11:56 pm

captainbryce wrote:
I'm as patriotic as I need to be considering what I do for a living. At least SOME form of patriotism is necessary for me to have the will to do what I do.
Do you consider yourself patriotic? 4
Do you consider yourself patriotic? 7

However, I don't have BLIND patriotism! In my experience MOST people who claim to be "patriotic" don't know the first thing about basic things like US history and law and government, to say nothing of things like US military history, the Law of Armed Conflict, National Security Policy, International Relations, etc. And I think that people who are patriotic just for the sake of being patriotic (because they were born in the US and therefore see it as something worthy of praise), those people are often missing the big picture. Half the time they don't even know what THEY themselves believe in not to mention what the US stands for (or whether or not those are one in the same). But I also feel the same way about a lot of Americans who constantly criticize the US and speak negatively about a country that they support by living in and paying taxes to.

Here are three quotes (3 different perspectives) about patriotism that I like to refer to:

1) Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel. (Samuel Johnson)

2) Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it (George Bernard Shaw)

3) Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. (Mark Twain)

I believe in Mark Twain's intepretation, however I feel that most people who claim "patriotism" are somewhere between Samuel Johnson's and George Bernard Shaw's intepretation.

First of all, look how handsome you are!

Second, I agree with number three the most as well.

The things that I don't like about the US, I feel we, the people, should change. That's part of being an American, the freedom to support the things that we choose, and to work to change the things that we don't approve of. That's what makes the US great, imo.
Back to top Go down
captainbryce
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
captainbryce

Male

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider yourself patriotic?   Do you consider yourself patriotic? EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 11:58 pm

thepossiblepolice wrote:
First of all, look how handsome you are!
blushing And I'm not even in my dress blues!
Back to top Go down
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
(Oh!) Rob Petrie

Male

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider yourself patriotic?   Do you consider yourself patriotic? EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 11:59 pm

captainbryce wrote:
Rockbird wrote:

2) - Back in Germany.
Are you from Germany originally?

No, I was born and raised in Boston. Smile Love Boston. But the US as a whole? Absolutely not.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider yourself patriotic?   Do you consider yourself patriotic? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do you consider yourself patriotic?
Page 1 of 1