CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

4 posters

Famous children's books you did NOT read as a kid

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Famous children's books you did NOT read as a kid Empty Famous children's books you did NOT read as a kid

Post by Supernova Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:49 pm

What are yours?

My list is about as long as my arm, we didn't have a lot of the well-known stuff, we had the Little Golden books with the Disney characters and stuff, and the fairy tale books and one flip-book with peter Pan on one side and Alice in Wonderland on the other, but that was about it.

Famous children's books I did NOT read as a kid:

Alice in Wonderland (we had an abridged version but I never read it until I was 16)
    Through the Looking Glass
    Mary Poppins
    The Wizard of Oz
    the Dr. Doolittle series
    The Hardy Boys
    Nancy Drew
    Charlotte's Web
    Stuart Little
    Old Yeller
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    James and the Giant Peach
    A Wrinkle in Time
    Harriet the Spy
    Maniac McGee
    Goosebumps

basically you name it, I did NOT read it because we did not have it. How about everyone else?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Famous children's books you did NOT read as a kid Empty Re: Famous children's books you did NOT read as a kid

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:40 pm

This SO does not apply to me. I've read just about every popular children's book there was. I stayed in the library. I especially loved Shell Silverstein, Beverly Cleary and Judy Blumes' books.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Famous children's books you did NOT read as a kid Empty Re: Famous children's books you did NOT read as a kid

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:54 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:This SO does not apply to me. I've read just about every popular children's book there was. I stayed in the library. I especially loved Shell Silverstein, Beverly Cleary and Judy Blumes' books.

This Shel Silverstein?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:51 am

More like this Shel Silverstein:

Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:03 pm

I sold many copies of The Giving Tree, Where The Sidewalk Ends, The Missing Piece, etc. when I worked in a bookstore. I always got a chuckle from his picture on some of the dust jackets.

Famous children's books you did NOT read as a kid Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgLw1VoUZ7bWubAgYxePhQnFsUVoDjCf2jql6rR5eVtQwlJiqrdw

He looked more likely to cause nightmares than to be the author of beloved children's books.

I don't know if any of you remember the Johnny Cash hit, A Boy Named Sue but Shel wrote it (along with a later rebuttal from the father's side.)
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:17 am

I didn't read any of the top list until I had kids of my own, I also didn't read Tom Sawyer or Huckleberry Finn until I was an adult. I was very very lucky, I was raised by my grandmother from the time I was 5 years old. I also learned to read then. She took me to the library and got me a card. In those days parents could determine what their child could read, by designating that the kid had to read to a certain age/grade level. Grandma (I miss her still) allowed me to read what ever I wanted as a result I was always reading above my grade level. By the end of 3rd grade I had polished off all the Nancy Drew books, by the 5th grade I was reading Pearl Buck , and my favorite book then and still a favorite was Ramona, by Helen Hunt Jackson. In the 6th grade I delved into history, etc. Reading was and still is one of my greatest joys. I mostly prefer non-fiction, simply because I find real people are more interesting than made up ones, at the same time I do read a bit of fiction. Having just last year discovered Janet Ivanovitch's many books. They are delightful and humorous. My all time favorite writer however was Taylor Caldwell.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:59 pm

I didn't read Tom Sawyer until I was I think, 13 or 14, and I only managed to get about halfway through Huckleberry Finn after that...I ought to try it again because I've got the other stories with them I plan to read soon.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 1:30 am