How important is it for you that your neighbor maintains their home? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How important is it for you that your neighbor maintains their home?

Go down 
+6
Shale
TPP
Tony Marino
Alan Smithee
RedBedroom
Chris
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

How important is it for you that your neighbor maintains their home? Empty
PostSubject: How important is it for you that your neighbor maintains their home?   How important is it for you that your neighbor maintains their home? EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 8:27 am

Do you, or would you, get upset if one of your neighbors doesn't maintain their house and front lawn?
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: How important is it for you that your neighbor maintains their home?   How important is it for you that your neighbor maintains their home? EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 1:57 pm

It is very important. I feel so bad for people with nice places who have to live next to a slob.

I don't have to worry about that here because people are not too shy to call in anything. This suburb has a lot of regulations for things, and we keep a very nice place, but get called in all the time when my guy brings home a work trailer or something like the Bobcat.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: How important is it for you that your neighbor maintains their home?   How important is it for you that your neighbor maintains their home? EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 2:31 pm

Living in an apartment, this doesn't really affect me but it is very important to me that my neighbors are careful with fire! Last week there was a fire in the complex (practically the other side from me) and 8 families were left homeless. Thankfully it was nothing more than that. Years ago when my daughter was a toddler and my wife worked evenings, I was home alone with her. Sometime in the evening I went to answer a knock on our door but there was no one there but something caught my eye to the right. It was flames leaping out of the upstairs apartment two doors down from us. The knock was from one of our neighbors to warn the rest of us. Grabbed my daughter and waited in the parking lot while the FD put it out. There was just the smell of smoke in our place when it was over. Not even bad enough to set our smoke detector off but it still makes you stop and think how much we depend on the actions of others. Like driving. We take it on total faith that the person coming towards us is going to stay in their lane. Sorry to go off topic.
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

PostSubject: Re: How important is it for you that your neighbor maintains their home?   How important is it for you that your neighbor maintains their home? EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 2:35 pm

Its very important, on one side of me (where the bowling ball headed annoying 12 year old boy lives) is kept very nice but on the other side I have a single girl that lives there and it takes her weeks to have her lawn cut sometimes. Her back Yard looks like a Jungle but I don't have to see that since I have a Vinyl fence back there. She is a wonderful person and I like having her as a neighbor but she needs to clean up a bit more or hire a gardener.
Back to top Go down
TPP
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
TPP

Female
Rep : 69

PostSubject: Re: How important is it for you that your neighbor maintains their home?   How important is it for you that your neighbor maintains their home? EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 2:44 pm

I don't really care if their lawn is nice or not, but I do think it is better if they keep their home's maintained.

I live in a city though, not a suburb, so there aren't strict rules about it here.

Our old neighbors abandoned their home a year and a half ago. Finally some new people bought it and are still fixing it up, but when they moved, they dumped out everything that was in their fridge in the back yard. Concerned about rats, my husband went over and cleaned it all up. It wasn't good enough though...Around the same time, some neighbors across the alley and a few houses down started a business doing something where they gathered other peoples construction waste, and instead of throwing it away at the dump they threw it all in the back yard.

It was knocking down their fence the pile of debris was so high. I called the city on them, and they ended up cleaning it all up (the city) and after that, rats came out looking for a new home.

They've never come into our house, but they went into our car and garage, and in the crawl space under the house sad Now we are battling them STILL. Now we are trying to get all the neighbors to put out traps and poison, because if only one of us does it, then the problem wont go away.

So, I guess, for me, the worst has already happened as far as our home value being brought down by the neighbors. The ones with all the trash ended up selling for 25,000 a house that they bought just the previous summer for almost 200,000. The house right next door that was abandoned was sold for like 140,000, even though they owed 285,000 on it.

Now I'd just like people to make the neighborhood less hospitable to rats because I have no hope of selling our home any time soon.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

PostSubject: Re: How important is it for you that your neighbor maintains their home?   How important is it for you that your neighbor maintains their home? EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 2:46 pm

It's important to me as well. In the summer, the neighbor to the right is horrible about cutting their grass. They let it grow wild for over a month. It does kind of 'taint' your own lawn by association. However, at least they're cordial. The people on the left, on the other hand, have these annoying daughters who like to arbitrarily stand on my grass like it's theirs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: How important is it for you that your neighbor maintains their home?   How important is it for you that your neighbor maintains their home? EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 2:59 pm

RedBedroom wrote:
...This suburb has a lot of regulations for things, and we keep a very nice place, but get called in all the time when my guy brings home a work trailer or something like the Bobcat.
Sounds like Coral Gables here in Miami-Dade county. You can't even park a pickup truck in front of your house.

We have a fairly active code compliance here on Miami Beach so even the lower rent neighborhoods don't look too shabby.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female

PostSubject: Re: How important is it for you that your neighbor maintains their home?   How important is it for you that your neighbor maintains their home? EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 4:53 pm

alan smithee wrote:
Living in an apartment, this doesn't really affect me but it is very important to me that my neighbors are careful with fire! Last week there was a fire in the complex (practically the other side from me) and 8 families were left homeless. Thankfully it was nothing more than that. Years ago when my daughter was a toddler and my wife worked evenings, I was home alone with her. Sometime in the evening I went to answer a knock on our door but there was no one there but something caught my eye to the right. It was flames leaping out of the upstairs apartment two doors down from us. The knock was from one of our neighbors to warn the rest of us. Grabbed my daughter and waited in the parking lot while the FD put it out. There was just the smell of smoke in our place when it was over. Not even bad enough to set our smoke detector off but it still makes you stop and think how much we depend on the actions of others. Like driving. We take it on total faith that the person coming towards us is going to stay in their lane. Sorry to go off topic.

In this duplex, we had the other side catch on fire because the woman was a drugging idiot and fell asleep with something on the stove. I was shocked that we didn't get smoke damage. I had chicken in the crock pot and that is what the house smelled like when we were able to come back in. But the electric getting turned back on zapped my computer.
Back to top Go down
Impact
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Impact

Male
Rep : 75

PostSubject: Re: How important is it for you that your neighbor maintains their home?   How important is it for you that your neighbor maintains their home? EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 3:16 am

Very important. Not only is a neighbors unkempt house and lawn an eyesore, but it also diminishes your own property value. A neighbor on the one side of me does a pretty good job of staying on top of their outdoor maintenance, but on the other side are these people who are more lax than they should be. Not only do they not take care of their lawn in a timely manner, but during the winter they are lazy about shoveling their snow. Because of this, I'm constantly having to warn my kids to be careful walking in front of that house.
Back to top Go down
MandyPerfumeGirl
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
MandyPerfumeGirl

Female
Rep : 26

PostSubject: Re: How important is it for you that your neighbor maintains their home?   How important is it for you that your neighbor maintains their home? EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 10:16 am

I have to say I really don't care either way. I keep my home and lawn maintained and nice-looking and my neighbors have a right to keep their house and lawn as they please. I don't know why any neighbor would care, it's not like they themselves have to maintain it.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female

PostSubject: Re: How important is it for you that your neighbor maintains their home?   How important is it for you that your neighbor maintains their home? EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 10:19 am

MandyPerfumeGirl wrote:
I have to say I really don't care either way. I keep my home and lawn maintained and nice-looking and my neighbors have a right to keep their house and lawn as they please. I don't know why any neighbor would care, it's not like they themselves have to maintain it.

It goes beyond just the aesthetics. A shitty looking house by yours can bring down the property value in your area.
Back to top Go down
Suzi
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Suzi

Female
Rep : 85

PostSubject: Re: How important is it for you that your neighbor maintains their home?   How important is it for you that your neighbor maintains their home? EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 1:45 pm

All we have to do is our small area of lawn the rest is done for us by the Park owner. We live in a Senior Mobile home park. I would like it if the neighbor would keep their part done, but all we see is a small patch out front of the place anyway. The guy who owned it before couldn't even be bothered to do that much. It remains to be seen if the the new neighbor will tend it, she moved in late fall.
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

PostSubject: Re: How important is it for you that your neighbor maintains their home?   How important is it for you that your neighbor maintains their home? EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 11:40 pm

thepossiblepolice wrote:
I don't really care if their lawn is nice or not, but I do think it is better if they keep their home's maintained.

I live in a city though, not a suburb, so there aren't strict rules about it here.

Our old neighbors abandoned their home a year and a half ago. Finally some new people bought it and are still fixing it up, but when they moved, they dumped out everything that was in their fridge in the back yard. Concerned about rats, my husband went over and cleaned it all up. It wasn't good enough though...Around the same time, some neighbors across the alley and a few houses down started a business doing something where they gathered other peoples construction waste, and instead of throwing it away at the dump they threw it all in the back yard.

It was knocking down their fence the pile of debris was so high. I called the city on them, and they ended up cleaning it all up (the city) and after that, rats came out looking for a new home.

They've never come into our house, but they went into our car and garage, and in the crawl space under the house How important is it for you that your neighbor maintains their home? 43290 Now we are battling them STILL. Now we are trying to get all the neighbors to put out traps and poison, because if only one of us does it, then the problem wont go away.

So, I guess, for me, the worst has already happened as far as our home value being brought down by the neighbors. The ones with all the trash ended up selling for 25,000 a house that they bought just the previous summer for almost 200,000. The house right next door that was abandoned was sold for like 140,000, even though they owed 285,000 on it.

Now I'd just like people to make the neighborhood less hospitable to rats because I have no hope of selling our home any time soon.

TPP that really sucks, man I don't know what I would have done to those neighbors if I were in that neighborhood. We had a similar situation in the neighborhood a few years ago with field mice and they used to come into my garage. I put down poison and set traps and I can't tell you how many I caught. Thank god that took care of the problem.
Back to top Go down
Marc™
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
Marc™

Male
Rep : 212

PostSubject: Re: How important is it for you that your neighbor maintains their home?   How important is it for you that your neighbor maintains their home? EmptyFri Mar 04, 2011 11:23 pm

thepossiblepolice wrote:

They've never come into our house, but they went into our car and garage, and in the crawl space under the house sad Now we are battling them STILL. Now we are trying to get all the neighbors to put out traps and poison, because if only one of us does it, then the problem wont go away.

jaw dropz Nah that woulda freaked me out enough to wanna move. Especially if I discovered they were taking shelter in the crawl space under the house....rats have no spine and it's too easy for them to slip in through the tiniest of cracks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How important is it for you that your neighbor maintains their home?   How important is it for you that your neighbor maintains their home? Empty

Back to top Go down

How important is it for you that your neighbor maintains their home?
Page 1 of 1