Could you be with someone whose political opinion was the polar opposite of yours? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Could you be with someone whose political opinion was the polar opposite of yours?

Go down 
+7
Tony Marino
stonestatic
2xy
RiteDiva
Forgiveness Man
CeCe
Chris
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

Could you be with someone whose political opinion was the polar opposite of yours? Empty
PostSubject: Could you be with someone whose political opinion was the polar opposite of yours?   Could you be with someone whose political opinion was the polar opposite of yours? EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 8:14 am

Are you, or do you think that you could be, flexible enough to date someone whose general political stances were the exact opposite of yours?

You're a Democrat (or Republican); they're Republican (or Democrat.)
You're heavily religious; they're staunchly atheist.
You're pro-gay marriage; they're anti-gay marriage.
You're pro-war; they're anti-war.

Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

Could you be with someone whose political opinion was the polar opposite of yours? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Could you be with someone whose political opinion was the polar opposite of yours?   Could you be with someone whose political opinion was the polar opposite of yours? EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 8:29 am

I am actually married in that situation & it's not pleasant. A lot of the time it isn't even a difference of opinion. We are diametrically opposed. It can get..loud & it's usually better to just sidestep social & political issues when possible. It's strange that there wasn't much discussion about those when we first got together. It kind of gradually came to light. But it can be a huge obstacle to overcome. I can't say I would recommend it to anyone who is aware of those differences going into it. When other issues come up in the relationship it can be overwhelming. The "opposites attract" thing? Cute saying, got a nice beat, but not necessarily true. lol
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Could you be with someone whose political opinion was the polar opposite of yours?   Could you be with someone whose political opinion was the polar opposite of yours? EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 8:41 am

Why would I waste my time? It's too big a relationship obstacle.
Back to top Go down
RiteDiva
…is an Up 'N Comer.
…is an Up 'N Comer.
RiteDiva

Female
Rep : 8

PostSubject: Re: Could you be with someone whose political opinion was the polar opposite of yours?   Could you be with someone whose political opinion was the polar opposite of yours? EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 9:52 am

It depends on strong our common ground was and if they weren't so overbearing in their beliefs that they were disrespectful to mine.
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: Could you be with someone whose political opinion was the polar opposite of yours?   Could you be with someone whose political opinion was the polar opposite of yours? EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 10:12 am

People are not going to be in agreement all the time. That would probably boring. But you have to know when to walk away from the argument when neither side is going to budge. Unless a person is willing to do that it's just an impossible situation. The things we believe make us who we are so it can be a significant struggle especially when each side is passionate about the things they believe.
Back to top Go down
2xy
…is an Up 'N Comer.
…is an Up 'N Comer.
2xy

Female
Rep : 22

PostSubject: Re: Could you be with someone whose political opinion was the polar opposite of yours?   Could you be with someone whose political opinion was the polar opposite of yours? EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 10:16 am

RiteDiva wrote:
It depends on strong our common ground was and if they weren't so overbearing in their beliefs that they were disrespectful to mine.

^^^This.

My ex and I were opposite in many ways, and socio-political ideals were not the demise of our relationship. We managed to live harmoniously despite my being left of center and him being right of center.
Back to top Go down
stonestatic
…is an Up 'N Comer.
…is an Up 'N Comer.
stonestatic

Male
Rep : 24

PostSubject: Re: Could you be with someone whose political opinion was the polar opposite of yours?   Could you be with someone whose political opinion was the polar opposite of yours? EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 1:53 pm

Yes I could. I get along with people who have different opinions & views, so long as they do not browbeat me with them. I'm a fairly quiet liberal and I'm sure I could get along well enough with a fairly quiet conservative.
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

PostSubject: Re: Could you be with someone whose political opinion was the polar opposite of yours?   Could you be with someone whose political opinion was the polar opposite of yours? EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 4:13 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:

Could you be with someone whose political opinion was the polar opposite of yours? 742817 lil bro
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: Could you be with someone whose political opinion was the polar opposite of yours?   Could you be with someone whose political opinion was the polar opposite of yours? EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 4:17 pm

To just date someone, yeah, the opposite views wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. Getting serious with someone who was radically different would be another story.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Could you be with someone whose political opinion was the polar opposite of yours?   Could you be with someone whose political opinion was the polar opposite of yours? EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 4:38 pm

I don't think it would work too well. I had differences with my wife but none that were in conflict.

I was a nudist and she was not but she was not opposed to nudism.
I was vegetarian and my wife ate dead birds, but it didn't bother me.
I could be friends with a conservative in the Reptilian party but doubt I would be married to one.

As an agnostic I rather like this saying attributed to the late JC "A house divided against itself cannot stand."
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Could you be with someone whose political opinion was the polar opposite of yours?   Could you be with someone whose political opinion was the polar opposite of yours? EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 4:42 pm

Tony Marino wrote:
Forgiveness Man wrote:

Could you be with someone whose political opinion was the polar opposite of yours? 742817 lil bro

Hi! Razz
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Could you be with someone whose political opinion was the polar opposite of yours?   Could you be with someone whose political opinion was the polar opposite of yours? EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 6:51 pm

RiteDiva wrote:

This.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Could you be with someone whose political opinion was the polar opposite of yours?   Could you be with someone whose political opinion was the polar opposite of yours? EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 8:02 pm

As long as there was respect. James Carville and Mary Matalin have made it work.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Could you be with someone whose political opinion was the polar opposite of yours?   Could you be with someone whose political opinion was the polar opposite of yours? Empty

Back to top Go down

Could you be with someone whose political opinion was the polar opposite of yours?
Page 1 of 1