CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
Shale
RobbieFTW
6 posters

Demolition rallies of books, music, etc

RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Demolition rallies of books, music, etc Empty Demolition rallies of books, music, etc

Post by RobbieFTW Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:51 am

Chris's thread about book burning got me to thinking . . . how do you feel about "demolition" ceremonies where they burn, steamroll or just demolish things like books, cds & other things. I think its stupid and just draws more attention to what they are destroying.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Demolition rallies of books, music, etc Empty Re: Demolition rallies of books, music, etc

Post by Shale Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:59 am

As I pointed out in the other thread, someone already bot those items to be destroyed so it actually helps.

The theatrics draws attention to the particular thing for those who may not have been familiar. They then go get one to check it out. Every item that was destroyed will not end up in a second hand store, so the person has to pay for a new one bringing more money to that author/musician/publisher. A shrewd author/musician/publisher might even encourage such an event. BYOB of course.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Demolition rallies of books, music, etc Empty Re: Demolition rallies of books, music, etc

Post by Supernova Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:27 am

Remember in the 60's when John Lennon made the mistake of saying they were bigger than God? And people had all the rallies, put all their Beatles albums together and ran over them with steamrollers...and yet how popular are they still today? It's like that part of history never happened.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:20 pm

Supernova wrote:Remember in the 60's when John Lennon made the mistake of saying they were bigger than God? And people had all the rallies, put all their Beatles albums together and ran over them with steamrollers...and yet how popular are they still today? It's like that part of history never happened.

Yes, I remember. I also remember that his comment was taken out of context.

On March 4, 1966, this quote of John's was printed in an interview by reporter (and friend of John's) Maureen Cleave in the London Evening Standard:
    "Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue with that; I'm right and I will be proved right. We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first - rock 'n' roll or Christianity. Jesus was all right but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me."
    He was, as she reported, reading extensively about religion at the time. It was a small part of the article. No one took notice of it in Britain.

And then, five months later, on July 29, a teen magazine in the US of A (land of the free, especially religious freedom), Datebook, reprinted the quote out of context instead of submerged in an article, and used it as a part of a front cover story.

Radio stations in the south banned Beatles music. There were rallies of boys and girls stomping on their records and bonfires of Beatles material. John recieved death threats, and the KKK protestsed a Beatle concert in Alabama (because, apparently, it seemed like the Christian thing to do).

This statement, hardly noticed in the UK, was completely taken out of context and the bible belt of the hypocritical southern states was used to beat Lennon and The Beatles in a very unfair and very non-Christian way. John was not comparing the Beatles to Christ or god or religion. The quote as it appears here, IN CONTEXT, is just John being John and using things he knew about in a way he naturally spoke to a friend/reporter. The Jesus lovers, acting in their best Christ-like behaviour, threatened to kill John.

Who says terrorism is limited to radical Islam?

The Apology

John: "If I had said television is more popular than Jesus, I might have got away with it, but I just happened to be talking to a friend and I used the words "Beatles" as a remote thing, not as what I think - as Beatles, as those other Beatles like other people see us. I just said "they" are having more influence on kids and things than anything else, including Jesus. But I said it in that way which is the wrong way."

Reporter: "Some teenagers have repeated your statements - "I like the Beatles more than Jesus Christ." What do you think about that?"

John: "Well, originally I pointed out that fact in reference to England. That we meant more to kids than Jesus did, or religion at that time. I wasn't knocking it or putting it down. I was just saying it as a fact and it's true more for England than here. I'm not saying that we're better or greater, or comparing us with Jesus Christ as a person or God as a thing or whatever it is. I just said what I said and it was wrong. Or it was taken wrong. And now it's all this."

Reporter: "But are you prepared to apologize?"

John (thinking that he had just apologized, because he did): "I wasn't saying whatever they're saying I was saying. I'm sorry I said it really. I never meant it to be a lousy anti-religious thing. I apologize if that will make you happy. I still don't know quite what I've done. I've tried to tell you what I did do but if you want me to apologize, if that will make you happy, then OK, I'm sorry."

co-signs what Shale said.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:39 pm

I think it's an unnecessary show. Buying something just to destroy it is the pot calling the kettle black.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:51 pm

Chris wrote:I think it's an unnecessary show. Buying something just to destroy it is the pot calling the kettle black.

Except I think it's usually just taking what you already bought when you were a fan and then destroying it because you've gone turncoat on it.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:54 pm

It's all what "freedom of speech" is all about, ain't it? Demolition rallies of books, music, etc 273237

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 12:34 am