CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

3 posters

The Conspirator

JWF
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 4

The Conspirator Empty The Conspirator

Post by JWF Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:56 pm

This month we are celebrating the 150th anniversary (1861) of the onset of the Civil War and 4 years later President Lincoln's assassination (4/15/1865).

I would imagine that many of us are unaware of the story Director Robert Redford is attempting to bring to the screen, including myself. It is a very important time in our history.

The film follows the trial of Mary Surratt (Robin Wright) who ran a boarding house in DC where John Wilkes Booth and others planned Lincoln's assassination. Shortly after the assassination Secretary of War (Kevin Kline) is hellbent on catching all involved, at any cost. Booth is shot dead, and the other 8 captured, and put on trial (including Surratt the only woman) as co-conspirators.

A Maryland Senator Johnson (Tom Wilkinson) strongly believes that until proven guilty Surratt is innocent. As her defense lawyer he convinces a reluctant Frederick Aiken (James McEvoy) to handle her case.

The trial unfolds as a Kangaroo Court under the bribing and corruptness of the politicians and the military tribunal (she was refused a jury trial). I don't believe the films message is so much about innocents or guilt, but about the rights of an individual and obstruction of justice.

The American Film Company as the production company has a history of being accurate in films. Much of the plot is suppose to be from the court transcripts.

Still, as much as I liked the film, it does carry some problems. It may be too smart for it's own good. It comes off a bit like a history lesson or something more adapted for the stage. It is definitely too slow for the average movie fan. Nevertheless, it offers a great bit of history, with exceptional acting.

B+
    Jack
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

The Conspirator Empty Re: The Conspirator

Post by Shale Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:20 am

JWF wrote:...Still, as much as I liked the film, it does carry some problems. It may be too smart for it's own good. It comes off a bit like a history lesson or something more adapted for the stage. It is definitely too slow for the average movie fan. Nevertheless, it offers a great bit of history, with exceptional acting.

B+
    Jack

Actually, there was a show on The History Channel a few days ago that was sponsored by this movie and some of the scenes in the history lesson were taken from the movie.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:41 am

I'm aware that it's coming out but I expect to wait until it comes to cable. I'm unfamiliar with The American Film Company's record for accuracy but at least Ron Howard didn't make this. As much as I enjoy most of his work, he can piss me off by playing with the facts. I came to The Film Chamber now to post something about movies "based on actual events" and this thread caught my eye first. Also, not to put too fine a point on it, but most of us are commemorating the 150th anniversary of the Civil War, not celebrating it Wink .
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:28 pm

The Conspirator
    Movie Blurb by Shale
    April 16, 2011

This movie is about the capture and prosecution of the conspirators involved in the assassination of President Lincoln and the attempted murder of the Vice President and Secretary of State by ex-rebels who refused to admit Dixie was history. Oh, you thot it was just John Wilkes Booth? He’s shot early on in this movie and the whole thing centers on the other conspirators and Mary Surratt (Robin Wright), who ran the Washington DC boarding house where they conspired.

It is a movie for history buffs who like their facts with a good dramatic presentation. People like me who do watch the History Channel where this subject was presented just last week, sponsored by this movie and using movie clips to illustrate key points. I think it is an accurate portrayal of the events that went down in April 1865.

The movie starts with the night of Lincoln’s assassination at the Ford Theater and we meet U.S. Army Captain Fredrick Aiken (James McAvoy), who is about to go into law as a civilian.

Capt. Aiken
    The Conspirator The-Conspirator-Poster

When the conspirators are all caught, they are to be tried in military court instead of a civilian court with a jury of their peers as “guaranteed” in the U.S. Constitution. Debatable are the men who did participate in the war, but Mary Surratt is included and she is definitely a civilian. This does not go right with Senator Reverdy Johnson (Tom Wilkinson) who plans to defend the indefensible. He is called on this because he is from Maryland, a borderline state so he enlists the help of the Union Captain Aiken to defend her.

Reverdy Johnson dumps the case on Aiken
    The Conspirator 60899969
    Of course Aiken does not want to defend this southern sympathizer but the legal precedent overrides his prejudice against a client whom he believes is guilty.

Surratt & Aiken Meet in Courtyard
    The Conspirator 0415-Film-Review-The-Conspirator_full_600

The rest of the story covers the trial, where the verdict was decided before the military tribunal, headed by David Hunter (Colm Meaney) even sat. He and chief prosecutor Joseph Hold (Danny Huston) do everything possible to prevent any fair representation of Mary Surratt, including witness tampering, excluding legitimate evidence/testimony and admitting hearsay evidence. It is purely a witch hunt to get the whole affair over and conspirators executed for national security.

Also for security reasons the trial takes place and the prisoners are confined at U.S. Fort Guantanamo, outside Washington DC. Oops, my mistake (Wrong century – same trashing of the U.S. Constitution). Yeah, this Robert Redford directed, accurate portrayal of events, where national outrage overrides the constitutional guarantees is obviously timely to our present embarrassment.

Mary Surratt off to hang
    The Conspirator CONSPIRATOR-articleLarge

It turned out to be a valiant defense effort but Mary Surratt is a historical figure so you know what happened. She made history by being the first woman hanged by the government.

Last edited by Shale on Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fix Pic)
    JWF
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male

Post by JWF Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:00 pm

More facts and information about the film

Robert Redford (director) doesn't know if Surratt (Robin Wright) was guilty or innocent, but he's smart enough to leave it up to the audience. After watching the film I felt his message was 1) mother's love and sacrifice for her son 2) Secretary of War Stanton (played by an excellent Kevin Kline) urgency to have a speedy trial, regardless of the circumstances. He is quoted: "the co-conspirators need to be buried and quickly forgotten"

**First woman executed in the US
    **She was refused a jury civil trial
    **Military tribunal
    **There were no women involved in the verdict
    **Women didn't have the right to vote
    **Surratt had no right to testify in her behalf
    **She was lead into the court with a bag on her head
    **The evidence was circumstantial
    **Many witnesses perjured themselves
    **There was no appeal system
    **The military tribunal...lead by a general (Colm Meaney)..... deliberated for only a few hours
    **The trial and execution was more like a carnival and a kangaroo court

Spoiler Alert

Personally, I didn't feel Mary Surratt was guilty about or connected in the plot to kill President Lincoln. Women during that time just weren't part of history. Her only fault was running the boarding house. And having a son who knew John Wilkes Booth

Washington DC was under martial law. The Capital was under so much fear. The Civil War just ended.

At the conclusion of the film you will find-out what happen to her son. It's an amazing story in its self. You will find out about the lawyer who defended Surratt, too.
    I don't recall if this was in the film, but as Surratt was about to be hanged, a soldier tied a piece of rope around her skirt, so they would not fly up when she dropped. She was given some dignity given at the end.

Jack

Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:55 pm

JWF wrote:
    Women during that time just weren't part of history.

I think I understand the point you're trying to make but none the less that statement isn't true. Women were very much a part of history and The Civil War was no exception. Belle Boyd, Antonia Forc, Rose O'Neal Greenhow, Nancy Hart, Laura Ratcliffe and Loreta Janeta Velazquez, to name a few were Confederate spies just as Pauline Cushman, Sarah Emma Edmonds, Harriet Tubman spied for the North. Clara Barton provided an invaluable service for the sick and wounded. Just a minute list.
    JWF
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male

Post by JWF Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:56 pm

alan smithee wrote:
    JWF wrote:
    Women during that time just weren't part of history.

I think I understand the point you're trying to make but none the less that statement isn't true. Women were very much a part of history and The Civil War was no exception. Belle Boyd, Antonia Forc, Rose O'Neal Greenhow, Nancy Hart, Laura Ratcliffe and Loreta Janeta Velazquez, to name a few were Confederate spies just as Pauline Cushman, Sarah Emma Edmonds, Harriet Tubman spied for the North. Clara Barton provided an invaluable service for the sick and wounded. Just a minute list.

I respect your post, but the Civil War was accepted as a man's war. Of course, there are exceptions, and some great women had their time. My point (clarified) was that Mary Surrett ran a boarding house and not a spy ring, but the great great majority of the war participation was by men. At least, that's what I think, but who really knows.

Although records weren't the best kept, it's estimated that 620,000 men died for both sides. Some accounts go as high as 700,000. Many of the deaths were from disease. It's been written that some of the men were actually women in disguise, but only about 300 to 400 is quoted. The War Department had denied any women enlistment, but that seems to be a lie.

Granted, there have been a few films about women during the Civil War, but mostly from the home front, as nurses, lovers and spy's, etc. I doesn't appear that anyone has arrived at how many actual served. There are undoubtedly some in many different categories. The best estimate of women dying in the Civil War is 14,000 from all causes.

http://womenshistory.about.com/od/civilwar/tp/aatpcivil_war1.htm

Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:52 pm

JWF wrote:
    Robert Redford (director) doesn't know if Surratt (Robin Wright) was guilty or innocent, but he's smart enough to leave it up to the audience. ...

Personally, I didn't feel Mary Surratt was guilty about or connected in the plot to kill President Lincoln....

Of these points you made, I had some feelings about the events that went down while watching this movie.

Call it a zeitgeist moment, but one has to put oneself in the time and you had mentioned that here:

JWF wrote: Washington DC was under martial law. The Capital was under so much fear. The Civil War just ended.

This gets into a matter of feelings and prejudice, which had to be abatted. Hundreds of thousand ppl had just died over the past 4 years, so life was considered cheap. What would be one more life taken - and was anyone more or less 'innocent' than the civilians and combatants who died horrid deaths. Andersonville was fresh in the minds of most Northerners as a war atrocity. Even Aiken was hesitant to do his lawyerly duty and defend this Southern sympathizer. So on that charge alone, being a Southern sympathizer and supporting a system that had enslavement of others as a cornerstone, she was in the eyes of the union, guilty.

So, no one will ever know the extent of her involvement in the conspiracy to kill Lincoln or the others, but circumstantially, she was guilty of supporting such a plot and knew they were going to kidnap the president and was complicit with that, so like I say - 700,000 innocently killed ppl plus 1.

The movie was designed to put a human face on the woman and even elicit sympathy. I watched it impassionately, as would an attorney. My only response was realizing the so-called justice system was being circumvented in the name of martial law, expediency or national security. That was my real concern and the real fear (which is still playing out today with a different cast of characters). The fact that Mary Surratt was hanged with the other conspirators wasn't much of a tragedy in face of what horrors had just transpired for the whole nation. That was the context that I saw it in.

JWF
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male

Post by JWF Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:03 pm

Shale,

Your comments are appreciated. One final bit of info I came across under obituary of Col. Frederick A. Aiken.

His obituary, published December 24, 1878 in the Washington Post: Here is parts

"The melancholy news of the sudden death of Col. Frederick A Aiken, city editor of the Post, reached this office yesterday after we had gone to press, and filled every heart with the shock which so unexpected and sad an event was likely to produce in circles where the deceased was so esteemed and beloved.

When that unfortunate victim of Republican fury, Mrs. Mary Surratt, was dragged from her bed at midnight by the brutal minions of Stanton, and hurried before a court-martial organized to convict. . . Aiken was one of the gallant few in the District that dared to lift his voice in behalf of justice and right at the imminent risk of his life nobly undertook to conduct her defense. His defense of Mrs. Surratt is one of the most praiseworthy efforts on record. (Frederick) Aiken’s memorable speech on that occasion will be long remembered as fulfilled prophesy, everyone now believing her to have been innocent.

Frederick A Aiken was buried on December 26, 1878 in Oak Hill Cemetery, Georgetown, District of Columbia. His grave is unmarked

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 11:27 am