Should community service be mandatory to graduate high school? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Should community service be mandatory to graduate high school?

Go down 
+6
Nystyle709
Forgiveness Man
RedBedroom
2xy
Marc™
Chris
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

Should community service be mandatory to graduate high school? Empty
PostSubject: Should community service be mandatory to graduate high school?   Should community service be mandatory to graduate high school? EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 9:36 am

What do you think about it being mandated that a high school student must serve a minimum of twenty hours of community service over the course of their four years in order to be eligible to graduate?
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Marc™
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
Marc™

Male
Rep : 212

PostSubject: Re: Should community service be mandatory to graduate high school?   Should community service be mandatory to graduate high school? EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 11:30 am

Mandatory? No. But I do think schools should give out credit for it....and I think they do.
Back to top Go down
2xy
…is an Up 'N Comer.
…is an Up 'N Comer.
2xy

Female
Rep : 22

PostSubject: Re: Should community service be mandatory to graduate high school?   Should community service be mandatory to graduate high school? EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 3:50 pm

Marc™ wrote:
Mandatory? No. But I do think schools should give out credit for it....and I think they do.

^^^This.

(pssst!....you graduate "from" high school....sorry, pet peeve)
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: Should community service be mandatory to graduate high school?   Should community service be mandatory to graduate high school? EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 4:44 pm

I think it should be mandatory. I think that kids have to be creative in some instances in what venues they find, and I think that is a lesson in finding solutions and thinking outside the box. It is a good experience for them when many times they do something that they may not relate to any future career goals, but gives them a chance to see what something outside their taste is like.
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Should community service be mandatory to graduate high school?   Should community service be mandatory to graduate high school? EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 5:00 pm

Encouraged maybe, but not mandatory.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Should community service be mandatory to graduate high school?   Should community service be mandatory to graduate high school? EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 6:49 pm

^^^^ Yep.
Back to top Go down
Impact
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Impact

Male
Rep : 75

PostSubject: Re: Should community service be mandatory to graduate high school?   Should community service be mandatory to graduate high school? EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 8:45 pm

20 hours over 3 or 4 years is nothing. I don't think it would hurt them, so yes.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Should community service be mandatory to graduate high school?   Should community service be mandatory to graduate high school? EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 8:46 pm

Marc™ wrote:
co-signs
Back to top Go down
CatEyes10736
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
CatEyes10736

Female
Rep : 126

PostSubject: Re: Should community service be mandatory to graduate high school?   Should community service be mandatory to graduate high school? EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 12:33 am

I don't think it's a bad idea, really. Everyone takes from society in some way or another, so why not teach kids that giving back sometime is the right thing to do. And 20 hours over 4 years, like Impact said, is piddly. That's five hours every year. Would it kill them?
Back to top Go down
TSJFan4Ever
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
TSJFan4Ever

Female
Rep : 78

PostSubject: Re: Should community service be mandatory to graduate high school?   Should community service be mandatory to graduate high school? EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 5:36 am

20 hours over 4 or 5 years is nothing. I think it's a great way to get kids out and involved and contributing to society, rather than just taking from it. Even 20 hours a year would be fine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should community service be mandatory to graduate high school?   Should community service be mandatory to graduate high school? Empty

Back to top Go down

Should community service be mandatory to graduate high school?
Page 1 of 1