CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+9
Shale
RiteDiva
Wadsworth
Jason B.
Nystyle709
Chris
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
Marc™
RobbieFTW
13 posters

Roommate charged with hate crime in Rutgers suicide

RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Roommate charged with hate crime in Rutgers suicide Empty Roommate charged with hate crime in Rutgers suicide

Post by RobbieFTW Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:21 pm

Roommate charged with hate crime in NJ suicide

By BETH DeFALCO, Associated Press Beth Defalco, Associated Press – 1 hr 29 mins ago

TRENTON, N.J. – A former Rutgers University freshman was indicted Wednesday on a hate crime charge after allegedly using a webcam to spy on a same-sex encounter involving his roommate, who committed suicide shortly afterward in a case that started a national conversation on bullying.

A 15-count indictment was handed up Wednesday by a Middlesex County grand jury against Dharun Ravi, of Plainsboro, who had already faced invasion of privacy charges along with another student, Molly Wei.

The indictment charges Ravi with bias intimidation, invasion of privacy, witness and evidence tampering, and other charges stemming from the suicide of 18-year-old Tyler Clementi in September. The indictment said charges against Wei would not be presented to the grand jury "at this time."

Clementi jumped off the George Washington Bridge into the Hudson River shortly after authorities say Ravi and Wei used a webcam to peek at his liaison. Lawyers for Ravi say the webcam stream was viewed on only a single computer and did not show the men having sex.

The indictment says Ravi targeted Clementi and invaded his privacy knowing that Clementi would be intimidated because of his sexual orientation.

According to the indictment, Ravi deleted a Twitter post letting others know how they could view a second encounter involving Clementi and replaced it with a false tweet; deleted text messages sent and received by witnesses; and gave false information to police — all actions intended to mislead investigators.

If convicted of the most serious bias charge, Ravi could face five to 10 years in prison.

Lawyers for Ravi and Wei didn't immediately return calls seeking comment.

The death of Clementi, a promising violinist in his first weeks at college, came amid a string of high-profile suicides of young people who were gay or perceived to be gay.

Partly because of his high-profile death and the other circumstances surrounding his suicide, Clementi became a face of the issue.

President Barack Obama and celebrities including talk show host Ellen DeGeneres and sex columnist Dan Savage have talked publicly about his death and said that young gays and lesbians need to know that life gets better.

Clementi's parents, Jane and Joe Clementi, said in a statement released Wednesday that they were eager for the case to move forward in order to "reinforce the standards of acceptable conduct in our society."

"The grand jury indictment spells out cold and calculated acts against our son Tyler by his former college roommate," they said. "If these facts are true, as they appear to be, then it is important for our criminal justice system to establish clear accountability under the law."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110420/ap_on_re_us/us_rutgers_suicide
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Roommate charged with hate crime in Rutgers suicide Empty Re: Roommate charged with hate crime in Rutgers suicide

Post by Marc™ Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:18 am

Is this really a "hate crime?" Invasion of privacy and conspiracy, sure...but a "hate crime?"
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Roommate charged with hate crime in Rutgers suicide Empty Re: Roommate charged with hate crime in Rutgers suicide

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:09 am

Of course. Do you think he would have done it if he were straight? I doubt it. There's no weight in that.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:33 am

I think he will receive five years.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:07 pm

Marc™ wrote:Is this really a "hate crime?" Invasion of privacy and conspiracy, sure...but a "hate crime?"

Definitely not a hate crime.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:43 pm

Rockbird wrote:Of course. Do you think he would have done it if he were straight? I doubt it. There's no weight in that.

This is no comparison. He did it because he wanted to embarrass him, not because he targeted him for being gay. A hate crime is when you commit a serious criminal act (most of the time violent) against someone of a different race/sexuality that you target to intimidate and/or provoke fear in that person or anyone else of said race/sexuality. What his roommate did was stupid, juvenile and uncalled for, but it wasn't a hate crime. He wanted to out him to embarrass him and because he was his roommate, it was convenient for him to do so.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:07 pm

I wouldn't call it a "hate crime" either. He deserves all those other charges, but I think THAT ONE was political showboating in light of how Tyler Clementi's name is used now.
    Wadsworth
    Wadsworth
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Male
    Rep : 16

Post by Wadsworth Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:46 pm

Wasn't no hate crime. The roommate was an ass for exposing him but he committed suicide. He wasn't murdered or beat up.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:50 pm

I disagree. If one Straight Guy #1 reveals a sex type of ANOTHER Straight Guy #2... well, then #1 just looks like a loser who isn't getting any. Common sense.

If Straight Guy reveals a sex type of Closeted Gay Guy, there's a LOT more heft to that. There's an opportunity to exploit, which is exactly what the person in question did. Now he has to suffer the consequences of his actions. Hate crime? Probably no "hatred" involved, but to say that Tyler's sexuality wasn't even a slight motive is preposterous.
    RiteDiva
    RiteDiva
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 8

Post by RiteDiva Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:59 pm

A "hate crime" doesn't have to be murder or something especially brutal. If someone's property is vandalized, and is spray painted with antisemitic epithets, then that is a hate crime. ANY basic crime that is inflicted with bias against the target, because of a "group" they belong to is a "hate crime." Dharun Ravi tweeted that his roommate was gay and went out of his way to humiliate Clementi for it by invading his privacy (invasion of privacy is illegal.) That makes it a "hate crime."
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:47 am

RiteDiva wrote:A "hate crime" doesn't have to be murder or something especially brutal. If someone's property is vandalized, and is spray painted with antisemitic epithets, then that is a hate crime. ANY basic crime that is inflicted with bias against the target, because of a "group" they belong to is a "hate crime." Dharun Ravi tweeted that his roommate was gay and went out of his way to humiliate Clementi for it by invading his privacy (invasion of privacy is illegal.) That makes it a "hate crime."

That is a good definition of why this is considered a hate crime and "... it is important for our criminal justice system to establish clear accountability under the law."
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Post by tmontyb Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:33 am

Rockbird wrote:I disagree. If one Straight Guy #1 reveals a sex type of ANOTHER Straight Guy #2... well, then #1 just looks like a loser who isn't getting any. Common sense.

If Straight Guy reveals a sex type of Closeted Gay Guy, there's a LOT more heft to that. There's an opportunity to exploit, which is exactly what the person in question did. Now he has to suffer the consequences of his actions. Hate crime? Probably no "hatred" involved, but to say that Tyler's sexuality wasn't even a slight motive is preposterous.

I agree. This is definitely a hate crime and is rightfully so charged as such. I hope dude gets the maximum. What the fuck is wrong with people? I don't get why anyone would try to pull such a rotten prank, whether the person is gay or straight.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:49 am

I still don't think this is a hate crime. If Ravi said "hmmm, let me just find a gay person to embarrass and put on my webcam" then there's a point. He had a roommate whom he didn't like, who happened to be gay and he used that to 'out' him and embarrass him because it was convenient. He didn't go out TARGET him specifically because he was gay. Yes, 'hatred' is most definitely is the major factor of a "hate crime". Kinda like racism. You can't be just a little bit racist can you? He tried to cover it up because he realized he was wrong for invading his privacy. And from what I understand, the damn video didn't even show Clementi having sex. So now it boils down to much accountability should there be? The boy committed suicide on his own free will. Who's fault is it that he wasn't raised with enough self worth to be able to withstand embarrassment? A lot of people commit suicide because they can't handle the everyday pressures of life. If a man or woman jumped off a bridge because they were deep in debt, couldn't pay their bills and/or bill collectors kept harassing them, are you going to blame the bill collectors? Are you going to blame the father of those kids that drowned for the mother's suicide? Some accountability needs to be held for Clementi's own actions. Now matter how rotten that prank was, Ravi did not push him off that bridge. Like Jason B. said, this ain't nothing but political posturing.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:11 am

tmontyb wrote:
    Rockbird wrote:I disagree. If one Straight Guy #1 reveals a sex type of ANOTHER Straight Guy #2... well, then #1 just looks like a loser who isn't getting any. Common sense.

I agree. This is definitely a hate crime and is rightfully so charged as such. I hope dude gets the maximum. What the fuck is wrong with people? I don't get why anyone would try to pull such a rotten prank, whether the person is gay or straight.

Baaad example. You're comparing apple and oranges.

A man who got into debt, got HIMSELF into debt. Nobody told him to spend the money that he didn't have. Nobody told him not to pay the bills off as they came in rather than let they accumulate.

Tyler was not gay of his own volition, nor was it his decision to be have born and raised in a country where homosexuality is still seen as an affliction. A place where you are seen as less of a man just for who you are attracted to. Tyler didn't get himself into his own mess. His privacy was invaded by people who knew that he could be easily exploited. Happens everyday.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:49 pm

It was a hateful thing to do but I’m on the fence about it being a hate crime. Maybe because Ravi and Wei didn’t beat Tyler Clementi or murder him first hand. On this level it seems to cheapen what happened to Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr. If the charge had been involuntary manslaughter, I would say no way. They didn’t make Clementi take his own life. I guess the irony is if Ravi is convicted, he'll likely have the same acts performed on him that he filmed Tyler Clementi doing.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:37 pm

Rockbird wrote:
    tmontyb wrote:

Baaad example. You're comparing apple and oranges.

A man who got into debt, got HIMSELF into debt. Nobody told him to spend the money that he didn't have. Nobody told him not to pay the bills off as they came in rather than let they accumulate.

You're not getting my point. Regardless if he spent money he had or not, the man killed himself as a DIRECT result of being in debt and he couldn't take bill collectors harassing him. So are you going to blame the bill collectors for trying to get their money back? It's not a bad example. Clementi decided to jump off that bridge HIMSELF. Same rule applies.

Tyler was not gay of his own volition, nor was it his decision to be have born and raised in a country where homosexuality is still seen as an affliction. A place where you are seen as less of a man just for who you are attracted to. Tyler didn't get himself into his own mess. His privacy was invaded by people who knew that he could be easily exploited. Happens everyday.

You're trying to twist it to somehow make it seems like this guy was a baby and didn't know better or something. And it sounds to me like you're trying to excuse himself for committing suicide. Clementi was his own man with his own mind. WHO TOLD TYLER TO KILL HIMSELF?! I see all this mudslinging against Ravi, and I'm by no means defending him, but I see NO accountability held for Clementi and he has to shoulder some of it too. Do you know the definition of suicide? You gonna KILL yourself because someone embarrassed you? Are you serious?! If everyone who committed suicide could have someone locked up for the reason they committed suicide, there'd be a whole lot of people in jail. But then again, that's not even the point. Trying to label this a 'hate crime' just cheapens the meaning of 'hate crime' to me. Matthew Shepard.....that's a hate crime. KKK burning a cross in my yard.....that's a hate crime.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:01 pm

The INTENT under which Ravi set up those camera's to record & broadcast Clementi had everything to do with his being gay and wanting to put him on blast for it. Wouldn't that make it a hate crime?
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:00 pm

Shale wrote:
    RiteDiva wrote:A "hate crime" doesn't have to be murder or something especially brutal. If someone's property is vandalized, and is spray painted with antisemitic epithets, then that is a hate crime. ANY basic crime that is inflicted with bias against the target, because of a "group" they belong to is a "hate crime." Dharun Ravi tweeted that his roommate was gay and went out of his way to humiliate Clementi for it by invading his privacy (invasion of privacy is illegal.) That makes it a "hate crime."

That is a good definition of why this is considered a hate crime and "... it is important for our criminal justice system to establish clear accountability under the law."

RobbieFTW wrote:The INTENT under which Ravi set up those camera's to record & broadcast Clementi had everything to do with his being gay and wanting to put him on blast for it. Wouldn't that make it a hate crime?

co-signs And it's fairly clear Clementi was targeted because he was gay.
    But Kerr said the key to the crime is intent.

"If someone deletes information because they don't want it to be a news story, that's different than trying to keep police from arresting them," Kerr said.

The alleged harassment of Clementi and the case against his roommate will be made using many of the young men's own words from their postings on Twitter, Facebook and in chat rooms.

For Clementi, those words also offer insight into his mindset before he killed himself only weeks into his freshman year. For Ravi, his words will be used against him, as well as the posts he tried to erase.

The intimidation of Clementi went back to Aug. 6 – the day Ravi "learned the name of his roommate," according to prosecutors.

In an Aug. 22 post on Twitter, according to Forbes.com, Ravi said: "Found out my roommate is gay," and linked to a thread that Clementi is believed to have posted on a gay community chat room.

Less than a month later on Sept. 19, a cached copy of Ravi's account shows he tweeted: "Roommate asked for the room till midnight. I went into molly's room and turned on my webcam. I saw him making out with a dude. Yay."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/23/tweeting-deleting-rutgers-webcam-spying-case-tyler-clementi_n_852901.html

While there is no doubt Matthew Shepard & James Byrd were the ultimate examples of a hate crime, a hate crime can still exist even when the victim wasn't killed. Ravi's intent was malicious & intended to make Clementi's life miserable & cause him to be in fear. Making someone's private sex life public, burning a cross in their yard or hanging a noose from a tree in their yard isn't the cause of their death, but are still a hate crime because of the malicious intent behind it.
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male

Post by tmontyb Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:40 pm

RobbieFTW wrote:The INTENT under which Ravi set up those camera's to record & broadcast Clementi had everything to do with his being gay and wanting to put him on blast for it. Wouldn't that make it a hate crime?

Yep! Damn these quote things suck. Anyway, as far as I'm concerned it's a hate crime.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Roommate charged with hate crime in Rutgers suicide Empty Jury Finds Spying in Rutgers Dorm Was a Hate Crime

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:02 pm

NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. — A former Rutgers University student was convicted on Friday on all 15 charges he had faced for using a webcam to spy on his roommate having sex with another man, a verdict poised to broaden the definition of hate crimes in an era when laws have not kept up with evolving technology.

“It’s a watershed moment, because it says youth is not immunity,” said Marcellus A. McRae, a former federal prosecutor now in private practice.

The student, Dharun Ravi, had sent out Twitter and text messages encouraging others to watch. His roommate, Tyler Clementi, jumped to his death from the George Washington Bridge three days after the webcam viewing, three weeks into their freshman year in September 2010.

The case set off a debate about whether hate-crime statutes are the best way to deal with bullying. While Mr. Ravi was not charged with Mr. Clementi’s death, some legal experts argued that he was being punished for it, and that this would result only in ruining another young life. They, along with Mr. Ravi’s lawyers, had argued that the case was criminalizing simple boorish behavior.

But Bruce J. Kaplan, the prosecutor in Middlesex County, applauded the jury for sending a strong message against bias.

“They felt the pain of Tyler,” he said.

Mr. Ravi, 20, wearing a dark suit over his slight frame, sat expressionless as the jury forewoman read the verdict on the first count, of invasion of privacy. But he seemed surprised when she pronounced him guilty on the next charge, of bias intimidation. His eyes popped and he quickly turned his head from the jury. As he left the courtroom in a swarm of television cameras, his mother clutching his arm, he looked straight ahead and said nothing.

The jury also found him guilty of lying to investigators, trying to influence a witness and tampering with evidence after he tried to cover up Twitter and text messages inviting others to join in the viewing.

Some of the charges carry penalties of 5 to 10 years in prison. Mr. Ravi has surrendered his passport; prosecutors said he could face possible deportation to his native India, but that decision would be left to immigration officials. Judge Glenn Berman set sentencing for May 21.

The case was a rare one in which almost none of the facts were in dispute. Mr. Ravi’s lawyers agreed that he had set up a webcam on his computer, and had then gone into a friend’s room and viewed Mr. Clementi kissing a man he met a few weeks earlier on a Web site for gay men. He sent Twitter and text messages urging others to watch when Mr. Clementi invited the man again two nights later, then deleted messages after Mr. Clementi killed himself.

That account had been established by a long trail of electronic evidence — from Twitter feeds and cellphone records, dormitory surveillance cameras, dining hall swipe cards and a “net flow” analysis showing when and how computers in the dormitory connected.

What the jury had to decide, and what set off debate outside as well as inside the courtroom, was what Mr. Ravi and Mr. Clementi were thinking.

Had Mr. Ravi set up the webcam because he had a pretty good idea that he would see Mr. Clementi in an intimate moment? Had he targeted Mr. Clementi and the man he was with because they were gay? And had Mr. Clementi been in fear?

Without Mr. Clementi to speak for himself, that last question was perhaps the most difficult to determine, and jurors struggled with it.

“That was the hardest because you really can’t get into someone’s head,” said one, Bruno Ferreira, as he left the court. The jury deliberated longest — for well more than an hour, he said — on the bias intimidation charge.

Mr. Ferreira said he ultimately voted guilty on the bias intimidation charge because Mr. Ravi had sent multiple Twitter messages about Mr. Clementi.

“They were being done twice, not just one day,” he said.

Another juror, Kashad Leverett, himself a student and a Twitter user, said he could relate to Mr. Ravi’s constant stream of Twitter and text messages.

But the defense’s insistence that Mr. Ravi had set up the webcam because he was afraid Mr. Clementi’s visitor would steal something, he said, rang hollow.

“If I knew someone was going to steal something from me, I would definitely take it with me,” Mr. Leverett said, adding, “Just from the fact of the second incident, it seemed that it was intentional.”

The jury of seven women and five men deliberated for 13 hours over 3 days after 13 days of testimony.

Reflecting the difficulty of defining hate crimes, it had taken the judge more than an hour simply to instruct the jury on the questions they had to answer to reach a verdict.

The jury concluded that Mr. Ravi had not knowingly or purposely intimidated the men when he watched the first time, on Sept. 19, 2010.

But it found him guilty of the charge because Mr. Clementi “reasonably believed” he had been made a target because he was gay.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/17/nyregion/defendant-guilty-in-rutgers-case.html
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:00 pm

The jury concluded that Mr. Ravi had not knowingly or purposely
    intimidated the men when he watched the first time, on Sept. 19, 2010.

But it found him guilty of the charge because Mr. Clementi “reasonably believed” he had been made a target because he was gay.

LOL. Did Mr. Clementi visit him in his sleep to tell him that? I knew they were going to throw the book at that kid. Dah well. Justice doesn't always get served.
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male

Post by tmontyb Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:55 am

Nystyle709 wrote:The jury concluded that Mr. Ravi had not knowingly or purposely
    intimidated the men when he watched the first time, on Sept. 19, 2010.

LOL. Did Mr. Clementi visit him in his sleep to tell him that? I knew they were going to throw the book at that kid. Dah well. Justice doesn't always get served.

So are you saying he should just get a slap on the wrist? I'm just asking because I don't understand what you mean by "justice not always getting served".

If that was you're brother and someone did that to him and cause him to kill himself, would you not want the "book" thrown at him?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:43 am

tmontyb wrote:

So are you saying he should just get a slap on the wrist?

No.

I'm just asking because I don't understand what you mean by "justice not always getting served".

He was convicted of a hate crime, which is the top charge and carries the most years. So basically he's going to spend a decade or better of his life in jail for the action of someone else taking his OWN life. I'm sorry, but I fail to see the logic in directly blaming another individual for ones SUICIDE, which is exactly what they're doing by convicting him if a hate crime. If that's the case, then you have millions of people walking around here who needs to be in jail. Should he be punished? Sure. But to this extent? No. But ultimately, do I care? Not really. Let him do his time.

If that was you're brother and someone did that to him and cause him to kill himself, would you not want the "book" thrown at him?

Well, as I started, my logic wouldn't allow me to want the book thrown at them. If that happened to my brother, it would be painfully obvious that he had other issues besides being gay that made him want to kill himself because he was embarrassed. I've been embarrassed plenty of times. Never wanted to check out though.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:29 pm

I hope he gets the Max. sentence, he deserves it.
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male

Post by tmontyb Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:20 pm

Tony Marino wrote:I hope he gets the Max. sentence, he deserves it.

co-signs

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 5:13 am