CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
Friendly Veteran
RedBedroom
6 posters

When people reach retirement, do you think they totally depend on each other, for the most part?

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

When people reach retirement, do you think they totally depend on each other, for the most part? Empty When people reach retirement, do you think they totally depend on each other, for the most part?

Post by RedBedroom Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:29 am

I pride myself in KNOWING I won't depend on him to make it through my twillight years...but do you think generally, people reach their retiremnt years, and know or expect their significant other to be at their side?

I met a woman this weekned who is wife to one of Dad's friends....they are from a large city, and moved to their summmer home, just as my parents did when I was in jr high school. Anyway, this chick was so lonely that I had a five minute conversation with her about dogs, and she asked me over this week, and she was sad when I told her I did not live there.

So, I really think that when people retire, they just expect that they will entertain each other, and when that does not happen, it really sucks for the person who misses the city.
    Friendly Veteran
    Friendly Veteran
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 10

When people reach retirement, do you think they totally depend on each other, for the most part? Empty Re: When people reach retirement, do you think they totally depend on each other, for the most part?

Post by Friendly Veteran Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:17 pm

I answer based on my own experience. My wife and I did similar goal for later in life. I am now retired from the Army. I still work but it is not because I have to bring a check home. With my retirement and VA benefits I can actually not work anymore. We are still young enough for us to now do more things when we want to. Our kids are grown up.
    Even though my wife stayed at home raising the kids and taking care of the family I saw it as my duty to make sure she was covered in her old age should something happen to me. She is not worried at all now that the house is paid and I am paying for her to still get part of my retirement pay and she will get SS. For her alone that will be enough and no worries about medical needs either and no house mortgage.

To me it is sad that people do have in the back of their mind not fully trust their mate will be there later because of the potential for divorce there. Attitudes have changed for men and women to think about that when they are looking into the future. My wife and have had our lows during the last 37 years of marriage but divorce is something we are determined to fight. We truly have worked hard through hard times. Divorce in our opinion people do use it as the easier way to solve marriage problems.

You have a great day.
    Friendly Veteran
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

When people reach retirement, do you think they totally depend on each other, for the most part? Empty Re: When people reach retirement, do you think they totally depend on each other, for the most part?

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:14 pm

I don't know, but you shouldn't.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:49 pm

Welcome aboard F.V. Thanks for your service and I hope you and your wife have a long and healthy retirement ahead of you.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:58 am

Yes. I think it's a blessing and somewhat of a curse when couples reach retirement age together, because while yes, it's undoubtedly comforting knowing that you'll have your partner with you, it probably becomes very easy for the two to become complacent with each other. I imagine that single people who enter their senior stage may be more likely to be more active and mobile.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:18 pm

RedBedroom wrote:I pride myself in KNOWING I won't depend on him to make it through my twillight years...but do you think generally, people reach their retiremnt years, and know or expect their significant other to be at their side?

I met a woman this weekned who is wife to one of Dad's friends....they are from a large city, and moved to their summmer home, just as my parents did when I was in jr high school. Anyway, this chick was so lonely that I had a five minute conversation with her about dogs, and she asked me over this week, and she was sad when I told her I did not live there.

So, I really think that when people retire, they just expect that they will entertain each other, and when that does not happen, it really sucks for the person who misses the city.

I think people probably expect that before they reach their twilight years. Once they hit that stage and their health starts to decline, they probably become a little more aware of how it's not a guarantee.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun May 01, 2011 3:53 am

Marc™ wrote:
    RedBedroom wrote:I pride myself in KNOWING I won't depend on him to make it through my twillight years...but do you think generally, people reach their retiremnt years, and know or expect their significant other to be at their side?

I think people probably expect that before they reach their twilight years. Once they hit that stage and their health starts to decline, they probably become a little more aware of how it's not a guarantee.

Yeah, I think people should think about that, but most don't. My uncle passed away exactly a year ago and my aunt was pretty much totally dependent on him for everything. Since she doesn't drive, he would take her to work, pick her up, basically drive her everywhere. They were together for over 35 years and she was used to that for 35 years then he died unexpectedly so imagine how much of a wreck she was. She couldn't even fathom it. Simple things she couldn't even do herself. I don't think I'll ever become that dependent on somebody....not even my husband.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:49 am