CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

3 posters

Should Alcoholics Anonymous drop the 'Anonymous'?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Should Alcoholics Anonymous drop the 'Anonymous'? Empty Should Alcoholics Anonymous drop the 'Anonymous'?

Post by Chris Wed May 11, 2011 8:25 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/08/fashion/08anon.html?_r=2&src=me&ref=style

In a time when many of us disclose the most intimate details of our lives on Facebook and Twitter, why are alcoholics still anonymous?

"I'm David Colman, and I’m an alcoholic," neuroscientist David Colman writes in a recent article for The New York Times. "In the 15 years since I quit drinking, I’ve neither spoken nor written those words, and now, in doing so, I have more or less violated the first-name-only tenet of Alcoholics Anonymous."

A.A.’s 11th Tradition states, "We need always maintain personal anonymity at the level of press, radio and films."

But alcoholics are wondering, doesn't the enforced secrecy further stigmatize alcoholics? And why shouldn't "graduates" be able to speak freely and proudly about a program that helped them?

"More and more, anonymity is seeming like an anachronistic vestige of the Great Depression, when A.A. got its start and when alcoholism was seen as not just a weakness but a disgrace," Colman says.

We'd have to agree. In this day and age, there are plenty of worse things to be than an alcoholic -- especially one who has sought help.

Do you think Alcoholics Anonymous should come up with a new name?
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Should Alcoholics Anonymous drop the 'Anonymous'? Empty Re: Should Alcoholics Anonymous drop the 'Anonymous'?

Post by RedBedroom Wed May 11, 2011 9:17 am

I think it should stay as it is. I think people have a comfort level attending meetings because they know that the people they meet there can not disclose shared information. Plus, I think a former alcoholic needs to be really honest with others about the bad things they did while addicted. Take away that anonymity and then people will be less likely to share.

The article mentions that members should be able to, "speak freely and proudly about a program that helped them." I thought they already could, less mentioning fellow members by name.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Should Alcoholics Anonymous drop the 'Anonymous'? Empty Re: Should Alcoholics Anonymous drop the 'Anonymous'?

Post by Marc™ Wed May 11, 2011 9:44 am

Nah. Even though I think a truly recovering alcoholic will openly admit his drinking problem....that still more applies to those on the path to sobriety. Someone still in the grips of the addiction is a lot more fragile when it comes to things like social stigma.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:40 am